Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the average excpected life of a motorcycle engine is. I know you can drive a car to a million miles if ya look after it and keep up on the proper maintnace. But how long does a bike engine last particullary kawai motors.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
A million miles outta a car engine? Hmmmmmmm...

Well, even if you could reasonably expect to nurse a car engine to 300,000 miles, keep in mind they're FAR detuned from the state of a typical bike engine, which in the case of 600 supersports anyway, lead a life with a 13:1 compression ratio and live regularly around some 12-15,000 rpms. That makes for an enormous power-to-displacement figure, but not necessarily a formula for 300,000 miles.

I've seen bikes with 80,000 miles - though not necessarily a 600 supersport. You hit the nail on the head though... it's all about looking after it and keeping up on proper maintenance. It's funny, but you'll see a bike with 10,000 miles on it that can be near-baffed, while another with 30,000 miles can be running like a charm. 600 supersports typically aren't used as long-term tourers either, so racking up 50,000 miles can be a little tougher than you think.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
600 Supersports probably won't last past a hundered thou, but I've seen many many bikes break it. Heck, any goldwing on the road probably has more than that on it. I've also seen the BMW R1150GS break 100K.

I think almost any motor can last indefinitely, just like the human body would if you rebuilt it every so often and took immaculate care of it. The problem is that with motorcycles, like a lot of cars, they tend to get wrecked by the time you can reach that many miles. To be able to drive over 100k on a single motorcycle and not hit a patch of oil, have somebody pull out in front of you, etc, is extremely hard.

I sold my 2002 6R with 15K on the clock, and the guy who bought it said it ran and rode like the day it rolled out of the factory. I'm sure I could have shattered 50 or 100K if given the chance and the time.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Oddly, this is literally down the road from me, yet I've never heard of it. Strange huh?

From Guiness Book of World Records:

Highest Car Mileage

"The highest recorded mileage for a car is 3,218,688 km (2 million miles) for a 1966 Volvo P-1800S owned by Irvin Gordon of East Patchogue, New York, USA. He reached the 2 million mile mark in the NBC Studios at Times Square, New York City, on March 27, 2002.

Irvin Gordon bought his red Volvo P1800S for US$4,150 from the Volvoville dealership on Long Island one Friday in 1966. The following Monday he was back for the 1,000 mile (1,600km) service, testament to his enjoyment of his car. The retired schoolteacher – who used to make a daily 201 km (124 mile) round trip to work - works on the car himself and has had it resprayed four times. While clocking up his record-breaking mileage Mr Gordon traveled through 48 US states, Canada, and five European countries.

The P1800, a two-seater touring car with a long, sweeping hood, went into production in May 1961, and was made until June 1973. The P1800 was made famous as Roger Moore's car in the TV series The Saint."

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put 54,000 miles on a 1984 Seca 900. I bought it used with 8,000 miles on it, it wasn't well cared for by the original owner. It quit running after I ran it into a rock wall at 50 MPH (not sure why). It ran just as well as ever at 54,000 miles.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i had a Honda NSR150 little 2 stroker for 2 yrs from brand new and i sold it with 25,000Km's no rebuild on it and it still ran fine no probs at all....
I too was curious about how many Km's i'll get from my 636 as it's my only form of transport

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I would say that a bike engine will last at least 100,000 miles if well taken care of. It may need some work here and there to keep it running in tip top shape, but unless you total it, a bike will last a long time.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Finally, a topic I can really talk about. I have a '95 ZX-6R which I bought new. It now has 180,000km (112,500 miles) on it, and the only things I have had to replace in the engine are the rocker cover gasket (too many services wore it out) and the alternator stator. I get it serviced every 5,000km. It runs great, doesn't use oil and still has the original cam chain and tensioner in it. I think it should easily make it to 200,000km before it needs any work on the engine, if it needs any then. I let it warm up properly before I thrash it and while I spend most of my time commuting on it, I still give it a hard time out in the country (and in the city) pretty regularly and around the racetrack a couple of times a year.
I also have a friend with a '92 ZZR1100 which has done over 200,000km without rebuilding the engine, although I think it might have a new cam chain in it. It gets a similar deal to mine as far as servicing and care goes.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Power and reliability are directly connected. You'll know your motor isn't healthy when it quits making power like it used to.

I put over 60,000 on the R1 in one season, no problems. 40,000+ on both GSX-R 1000's in one season and again, no problems.

Take care of it, and it'll take care of you!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Well Nigel, I have a ways to go on my '95, only 25,000 on it so it is almost new. I took a close look at the frame near the motormount and no problems so far <fingers crossed>. I think the next time I see a fuel pump cheap on eBay I will pick it up.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by Nigel
Finally, a topic I can really talk about.
Haha, that's good. Anyway. My brother has a CBR 600F with 28000 km's on it. Runs perfect, good power. The previous owner replaced the oil every 2500 km's. So I think regular oil change is the key.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
What's wrong if you are happy with the performance of your bike, to ride it further? I mean I don't buy my bike to sell it, I buy it to ride. If you replace your bike every year, you'll pay the money which buys at least a new bike in 4-5 years. In that respect, owning a bike for 10 years is cheaper, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yeah its hard to sell a sportbike with that many miles....noone truely knows how the bike was taken care off...most people beat the shit out of their supersports...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya the worse thing about buying a second hand bike is you dont know how it was broke in or treated and if the proper maintnace was done it only what the seller tells ya and that isnt always the truth.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I can't trade it in on a new bike, no-one will take it but a couple of people have offered to buy it (for not very much money but probably more than I could get easily) when I've finished with it.

I originally planned to only keep it for one year but at the ned of that year I thought it was pointless to spend extra money to buy a new bike which was exactly the same as the old one. I've worked out though, that I've spent more on services and tyres since then than I did to buy the bike in the first place! Then, after two years it just had too many km's on it to get any remotely reasonable amount of money for. So I thought I'd clock it over 100,000km and sell it with 15,000km on the odometer because it looked like it had only done about that. I didn't even get around to try selling it.

So now it looks like I'll get to 200,000km before I retire it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.