1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fast - First Responders
http://www.govtech.com/em/articles/143155
:)

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels announced today his plan to create a motorcycle medic team in 2008. Under the mayor's budget proposal, firefighter paramedics will take to the streets on motorcycles for a two-year pilot program to study the effectiveness of such a medic team. Other cities, such as Miami and Pittsburgh, have found motorcycles are able to get through congested traffic faster than ambulances or medic units, thereby speeding response to emergencies.

"Seattle is a leader in emergency medicine. We know that every minute counts when it comes to saving lives," said Nickels. "Motorcycles present an opportunity to ensure our paramedics arrive as quickly as possible -- even in heavy traffic."

The demand for emergency medical services in Seattle has grown by 31 percent over the past 13 years. During that same period, the city's population and traffic congestion has increased. With 63 miles of construction scheduled in the downtown area alone over the next two years, the city is looking at innovative ways to quickly reach critically ill patients.

The motorcycle medic team will consist of two firefighter paramedics on separate motorcycles outfitted with life-saving equipment. The motorcycles will carry everything that a medic unit carries, such as defibrillators and cardiac drugs, but in smaller quantities. Under the pilot program, motorcycle medics will be deployed in the downtown area where medical calls have increased by 46 percent over the past seven years. This additional resource in the downtown area will allow other medic units to remain in their own districts in the north and south ends of the city.

"The job of the motorcycle medics is to evaluate patients, coordinate hospital transport when needed and quickly move on to another medical response. We are always looking for ways to provide better service to our community and motorcycle medics have the potential to make a big difference in our emergency response capabilities," said Fire Chief Gregory Dean.

Seattle plans to lease four motorcycles during the two-year pilot. Each motorcycle medic will undergo intensive safety training. The mayor has budgeted $570,000 for the program, which covers the motorcycle leases, equipment, training and staffing costs. By contrast, a standard medic unit costs $1.3 million annually to operate -- approximately twice as much as the pilot program. In addition, motorcycles are more fuel efficient than standard medic unit.

Motorcycle medic teams are a growing trend for fire departments nationwide. Miami, Pittsburgh, Nantucket, Daytona Beach and Taylor, Mich., use motorcycle medics. Motorcycles are also used to deliver emergency medical services throughout Great Britain, Asia and the Middle East.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i wonder if they have to wear helmets??

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
They better have REALLY LOUD PIPES cause running reds on a moto is scary

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
That's awesome. I lived in Daytona and didn't know they had motorcycle emergency vehicles (besides cops of course)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
wonder what kind of bike..it would be silly to put them on cruisers

and fyi i would kill to have this job
I don't think there's anything silly with having them on cruisers. It would be silly to have them on a sportbike. They need room for all of the medical equipment and supplies. I would think something like a road king would work very well. Plus the cops already use them, at least around here.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I would imagine they will probably be using BMW bikes for this. They seem to be good work horses. It’s what they use over in Europe typically for this very thing. I’ve always thought that medic bikes were a good idea. glad to see someone giving it a go here in the states.

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
I don't think there's anything silly with having them on cruisers. It would be silly to have them on a sportbike. They need room for all of the medical equipment and supplies. I would think something like a road king would work very well. Plus the cops already use them, at least around here.
i cant agree...i think everything they would need could fit in a backpack and tankbag. cruisers are too wide too slow and dont get sportbike gasmilage. im not a cruiser hater or anything but the possibliites are endless with a sportbike.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
That's pretty freaking cool in my opinion. They could basically just stabilize the patient and wait for an ambulance then head on to the next emergency.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
They'll probably have sirens, lmao.
:D

I've never seen medics have trouble getting to the scene, but I guess traffic in Texas cities could benefit more than around here. I was stuck in Dallas traffic once...ugh

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I would imagine they will probably be using BMW bikes for this. They seem to be good work horses. It’s what they use over in Europe typically for this very thing. I’ve always thought that medic bikes were a good idea. glad to see someone giving it a go here in the states.
I agree, bmw bikes would be ideal IMO. Standard emergency vehicles of all types seem to be American though. Probably because of political reasons/supporting our industry on a large scale.

i cant agree...i think everything they would need could fit in a backpack and tankbag. cruisers are too wide too slow and dont get sportbike gasmilage. im not a cruiser hater or anything but the possibliites are endless with a sportbike.
I'm not sure they would be able to fit a defibrillator, mask, bandages, gause, stethescope, seringe and all of the other EMT supplies in a backpack. A defibrillator itself is pretty big. And cruisers aren't slow by any means. I don't think an extra few inches in width would affect them too much. Their speed wouldn't be reduced much, if at all by riding a cruiser like the motorcycle offiers do. And from a quick search the road king seems to get anywhere between 35 mpg and 50. 35 is the lowest I saw. That's what I get, but they have more torque.

·
Registered
289 Posts
when i lived in The Netherlands i saw more Motorcycle Ambulances than actual car ambulances. It was just a speedier way of getting around. The European's are pretty smart when it comes to this type of stuff.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Sorry but sportbikes are too limited in design. A cruiser will be able to hold their stuff, maneuver well at slow and high speeds, and most important is comfortable for the rider to be on for entire shifts day after day. Reaching triple digit speeds in the blink of an eye is far from important and only makes goofing off more tempting to the medic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts