Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep in mind when you read this article below that wet clutches need an oil that don't have friction modifiers added to them. Friction Modifiers would allow the wet clutch to 'slip'. In my opinion no one should have to pay over $4 for a quart of oil for any vehicle.

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Bottom Line

It could appear from this data, then, that there is no validity to the constantly-used argument that motorcycle-specific oils provide superior lubrication to automotive oils when used in a motorcycle. If the viscosity drop is the only criterion, then there is certainly no reason to spend the extra money on oil specifically designed for motorcycles. There does, however, appear to be a legitimate argument for using synthetic and synthetic-blend oils over the petroleum based products.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
It worries me that there wasn't one mention regarding friction modifiers and wet clutches. Was this not a known issue when the article was originally published? With something so basic-seeming that every well-informed motorcyclist is aware of, you'd think they'd at least mention it once. More and more Automotive oils are throwing tons of friction modifiers into the mix, to the point where it's getting almost imposible to find ANY automotive oil WITHOUT these additives. So...I think I'll stick to MC synthetic until someone does a conclusive test on friction additives as well as viscosity.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from what i have heard.. Castrol GTX doesn't have friction modifiers, just check the lable i guess. I've heard mobil 1 synthetic with the red cap is ok for wet clutches. I still haven't seen the red cap M 1 on the shelf though so i'm not sure if they are still making it?

Also for anyone running Mobil 1 MX4T... buy it from Kragen/Schucks/Checker.. it's $8 per quart there. I paid $11 per quart at a motorcycle shop for MX4T.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Originally posted by ZaRussian
I'm running Mobil 1 red cap...it's non-synthetic. The synthetics have the gold cap.
WHAT!!!!!![?][?][?] ALL Mobil 1 oils are FULL synthetic. Even the "old" red capped Mobil 1(15w50 btw) bottles and the "new" gold capped ones.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Originally posted by Widowmaker55

WHAT!!!!!![?][?][?] ALL Mobil 1 oils are FULL synthetic. Even the "old" red capped Mobil 1(15w50 btw) bottles and the "new" gold capped ones.
Sorry friend...you are wrong. Red cap Mobile clean 5000 is a conventional motor oil. Even says so on thier website. Check the link for yourself. Blue cap is a synethic blend, where as Gold cap is full synthetic. Been that way for a while.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by ZaRussian

Sorry friend...you are wrong. Red cap Mobile clean 5000 is a conventional motor oil. Even says so on thier website. Check the link for yourself. Blue cap is a synethic blend, where as Gold cap is full synthetic. Been that way for a while.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx
Mobil 1 15W-50 "gold cap" is simply an updated "red cap" which is fully synthetic. I don't know about this "mobil clean 5000" crap that may have a red cap on it, but that's NOT what anyone means when they talk about Mobil 1 "red cap". "Red Cap" has been discontinued since "Gold Cap" came out.

FWIW, I used to use 15W-50 "red cap", switched to "gold cap" and now just use Shell Rotella T Synth 5W-50 in the big blue jug. $14 a gallon at Walmart. No friction modifiers at all.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Just trying to clear up any confusion. It is what it is ...and it IS red = non-synth. That's all I was ever getting at. Many who would post these questions have no way of knowing how Mobile 1 sold their oil in years past. Someone goes out and gets some now, they will understand what they're getting. All Mobile 1 oils are not sythetic as stated previously.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.