Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vespa USA has started a petition to help get more designated motorcycle parking.

www.vespausa.com

Parking for All! Sign the Vespatition to convert some automobile spaces to two-wheel spaces!

By signing the Vespatition, you are promoting the conversion of some automobile parking spaces to two-wheel spaces. The results will be publicized and sent to your local mayor.

Just as parking spaces for compact cars and handicapped parking stalls have increased efficiency and convenience in urban and suburban communities, officially designated two-wheel parking facilities can do the same.

Government agencies should consider removing the two-wheeler from the four-wheeler parking space and placing it in its own, scaled down zone. This is a simple concept that can be embraced by city councils, urban planners, local merchants, contractors, shopping center management and private businesses whenever parking for motor vehicles is provided.

Here are some suggestions for motorcycle/scooter parking that we are proposing:

Street-legal parking - convert a number of existing parking spaces every couple of streets to motorcycle/scooter parking

* Spaces can be metered or un-metered
* The smaller size of two-wheel vehicles allows them to fit into unoccupied areas on streets and sidewalks, creating efficiencies in urban planning and increasing city revenues (if metered).
* Six motorcycles, scooters or limited-access motorcycles carrying from six to twelve people can be parked in the area normally taken up by one automobile. If, however, no motorcycle parking facility is provided in the area, one would possibly find those six motorcycles occupying up to six separate automobile spaces.

Convert unused space - cement curbs of a certain size can be converted to two-wheel parking. A specialized parking area for motorcycles and scooters not only leaves more space for the automobiles, but also caters to the riders' needs by providing a well-lit, convenient and secure location in which they may confidently leave their vehicle. Such facilities can be small in area and can usually be located near a building entrance or at the end of a parking island.

Parking garages - designate parking spaces in municipal garages for two-wheel vehicles. Create a more equitable rate structure for two-wheel vehicle parking in private garages.

Sidewalk parking - permit scooters and motorcycles to be parked in designated areas on sidewalks and locked to structures which currently accommodate bicycles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am aaaalll for it! When i was in europe people were parked eeeevvveerrrywwhheeree! Why not it makes good logical sense!

·
Registered
207 Posts
i did it, even though my town already has about a dozen motorcycle only spots that can fit about 60 bikes. still not enough to accomodate everyone

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thats a dang good idea. For now though, I'll just park on sidewalks right in front of the stor I'm shopping at. As a whole, Alabama is not a cycle friendly state.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sounds good, but I don't think it's going to happen nationwide.

I used to do it in Boston anyways. I didn't take up metered spots, and I got free parking!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Anything from Vespa has to be a good idea... :D I mean as long as the parking is not VESPA sized...

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
ive definitely never paid for parking and i havent gotten a ticket yet

besides, where would the police put the ticket?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also just park on the pavement/sidewalk wherever I'm going, but I did come out of the post office the other day to see a parking warden attempting to ticket my bike.

A few minutes of "persuasion" and I got off with a lecture, but I was steaming for the rest of the afternoon! :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
They tuck it right between the front of the seat and the tank. I've seen someone get a ticket for parking on the outside line of a motorcycle parking spot. I think the meter maid is just jealous.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got a parking ticket on the bike once. It was in a pay and display zone here in Baltimore. Really pissed me off, wanted to ask the judge where I was going to display my receipt without some ass taking my sticker and putting it in their car.

Fact was that it occured while I was at a meeting, so I just turned the ticket in and my office paid for it. Wanted to fight it, but really did not feel like wasting the time.

Oh, and the ticket was balanced on my instrument cluster, near the wind screen.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
We need more spots! I usually utilize the little islands that are leftover from the parking spaces whenever possible. You know what I'm talking about? At the end caps

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by sgtcarrot
I got a parking ticket on the bike once. It was in a pay and display zone here in Baltimore. Really pissed me off, wanted to ask the judge where I was going to display my receipt without some ass taking my sticker and putting it in their car.

Fact was that it occured while I was at a meeting, so I just turned the ticket in and my office paid for it. Wanted to fight it, but really did not feel like wasting the time.

Oh, and the ticket was balanced on my instrument cluster, near the wind screen.
This is exactly why toronto made metered spots free, since on a motorcycle someone can just take your ticket.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i'm thinking about just removing my plates everytime i park illegally [:p] how are they gonna write me a ticket then? but i guess a ticket is better than being towed [:eek:)]

·
Registered
193 Posts
up at michigan state's campus, we have it up the ass for parking! I got 160 dollars in parking tickets last year, in a combination of 3 days when my bus pass was lost and I rode to class instead. I was so pissed, and they didnt do a damn thing. a few of them were between teh tank and the seat, a few were between the strap that the passenger is "supposed" to hold on to, and one was lodged in my helmet that i had locked to the seat. Each time i had parked either around a building near the entrance, or just on the end of a bike rack where there was still about 8 feet of space. needless to say I, the president of the motorcycle club, am going to do everythign in my power to change that. They have motorcycle designated parking in one of the structures but its for staff ONLY, and i got at icket in there to! there's 4 staff who ride, out of a college of 50,000+ students.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got a $75 ticket for parking on the sidewalk at a movie theater last year. They stuck the ticket under the strap on the back seat. I was so pissed off along with the other bikes parked on the sidewalk with me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
OMG I park in downtown Boston everyday and I swear those f'ing metermaids are nazis! I've had two parking infractions in the last week, one in the spot I always park in, in which I have never previously gotten a ticket, and another one in a different spot today. They both say angled parking prohibited, WTF it's a bike for godsake. They even tell you not to parallel park a bike when you take the permit test! It's out of control if you ask me. The metermaids I've talked to say that the best way to avoid a ticket is to park it in a spot designated for a car. Does this make any sense whatsoever? A bike takes up a fraction of the room even a compact car does. We have absolutely no motorcycle only spaces, which is absurd considering the volume of bikes I see parked in the area. I'm pissed. Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
at UW-Milwaukee, we have TONS of motorcycle spots. THey're in the best spots too. BUt around the city, and in green bay we dont ahve n e motorcycle spots. I just park pretty much where ever i want to, and i have yet to get a ticket. I dont park by handicapped spots though, i think thats just rude.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
in GA there's plenty of moto-parking spots. I guess this is just a larger city thing. I kno wthat they surely have the spots at Cycle Gear, the malls, and where I work...so I'm satisfied lol. Oh yeah, at the dealership they even have the kickstand stands (haha) to keep your stand from sinking or your bike tipping.

I have gotten a ticket before when I parked on the sidewalk at the mall. The ticket said "vehicle not owned" because I still had the dealers tag on it. LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.