Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put about 300 miles on my bike since I got it a few days ago, and ive got some riding questions.

Since i'm still breaking in the bike, I cant go over 4k rpms.. which means im doing a lot of shifting. By the end of the night my left hand is exhausted from clutching so much. Ive heard that there is a way to shift without using the clutch, how does one do this for when their hand is tired and does it damage anything?

Another question I have is regarding the break in period. In 6th gear at 4k rpms im going about 50. Well, the other day im cruising down a road where the speed limit is 50 and it jumped up to 65. I'm new to the area so I didnt know it was going to happen. Anyway, I needed to keep up with the flow of traffic so I was forced to go 65 for a minute or two before I could get on a slower road. This wont hurt my engine will it? The motorcycle was well warmed up by that point, im just worried about going over the 4k limit before 500 miles.

As for leaning, I can lean just fine going right. For some reason I'm having trouble leaning to the left to make tight turns. Normal left turns are fine, but when im practicing leaning left it just doesnt seem to feel correct. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for working on leaning to get used to it.

Ok last question. When going around a turn in first im getting up to 4k rpms pretty quick. I wondering if I should just hold it steady at 4k until im exiting the turn, or is it okay to shift mid turn as long as im not leaning too much. I suppose I should shift up to 2nd before the turn and that would work, but at a stop light making a left hand turn there really isnt time to upshift before your in the turn.

All help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
438 Posts
I broke mine in how I ride it....... hard!! 7600 mi. later still no problem as far as leaning push on the handlebar the direction you want to go you should have no problems!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't worry about the break in period. As a new rider, you'll surely not ride it hard enough to hurt it. Ride it like your gonna ride it later. Don't be trying to shift without the clutch. It can be done, but you need some more experience before tackling that. Especially on a new bike with a new rider. Your hands/arms will get used to clutch fatigue as you ride more. All you need is seat time. Ride safe and keep it slow. Your lean angles and everything else will improve over time. You've got the rest of your life to get good at riding. Take your time and ride safe. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take the MSF Basic Rider Course!! It will teach you a lot about what to do in situations that you talked about, i.e. slow turns, u-turns, etc. That course has saved my ass plenty of times...As for the break in period, I agree with BcVulcan. Ride it the way you feel is right and start building up your seat time to get comfortable on the bike. Oh, and clutchless upshifts are not really meant to ease the pain of pulling in the clutch every two seconds when you are a n00b...shift normal and don't worry about that now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.