Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking earlier, what if the motorcycle safty course was free, or at least only $50-$75 bucks. or mabe an incentive, such as a break on the price of your bike, like you would save $200 on TT&L when you buy one new. Mabe cast tward the helmet of your choice. would more people take it?

i took it and am a firm believer in it. i have a friend who is about to start riding and he sais he will take it after a couple of months. he just wants to get his bike and license first. i told him to wait and take the course. but he is stubborn and sais he will wait. i guess the only thing good there is that is said he will eventually take it and that he knows me. i can kinda coach him on the things that i have learned both from the course and on the road.

any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here in texas it is $180. and not all insurance companies give a discount

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got 15% discount with Geico.
And a neato card that I can carry in my wallet.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
that would be nice if they gave you that kind of stuff, but $200 for a new helmet or something like that is a little too much... if you think about it for them to do a free service and then pay you for a helmet they are losing so much money... they also have to pay for the instructor, building, bikes, gas, insurance... i think if it were just a free service and thats it that should be enough...

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
when i took my class, it was only $55, i think they raised it up to about $75 now, but thats still pretty cheap. In WI you can save 10-15% on your insurance too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The cost of the course varies from state to state. Many motorcycle clubs offer rebates for taking the course and most insurance companies offer discounts. If you have high rates on your insurance your savings could be more than $200 per year.

Helo-pilot, where'd you take the course? I'm asuming in the DFW area. I teach in the area and was just curious.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Mine was $225 (every thing sucks in New Jersey) but the dealership gave me a $225 discount for taking the course. So basically it was free. No breaks on insurance though.

The course is incentive enough. If you have $10,000 laying around to get a bike and gear, you also have an extra $50-200 to take the MSF course.

People just gotta ask themselves how much their safety is worth to them. Mine is definitely worth $225.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Here in Hawaii, I paid $175. Get about a 10% discount on insurance....which basically paid for itself in a year..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here is Illinois it's free, gets you a discount on insurance and allowed me to get my M class (250cc+) licence at 16. Two and a half days of easy class...definatly worth it for insurance reasons alone.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's not free in VA; but its not expensive (around $100); BUT it is not easy to get into the class. The waiting list is a year long normally and people just get fed up with trying to take the course and just get their license through DMV without the course.

So yeah.. more courses that need to be cheap and easy to register for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took the MSF course recently in Jersey, and I paid $225 as well. Although I dont have my own bike yet, I dont think they give you any discounts on insurance, taxes or the like. I do know you get a package that has coupons or offers from various dealerships for discounts on bikes and gear. That's the only thing. But, as with driving, you really should get some kind of reduction in premiums for taking a safety course. [:M31]
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
Mine was $225 (every thing sucks in New Jersey) but the dealership gave me a $225 discount for taking the course. So basically it was free. No breaks on insurance though.

The course is incentive enough. If you have $10,000 laying around to get a bike and gear, you also have an extra $50-200 to take the MSF course.

People just gotta ask themselves how much their safety is worth to them. Mine is definitely worth $225.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's worth every penny even if you don't get any sort of disscount or money off anything.
A lot people think they're too fucking cool to take the class, but they're the majority of deushebag's that end up wadding their bikes.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Originally posted by john2kvtr
The cost of the course varies from state to state. Many motorcycle clubs offer rebates for taking the course and most insurance companies offer discounts. If you have high rates on your insurance your savings could be more than $200 per year.

Helo-pilot, where'd you take the course? I'm asuming in the DFW area. I teach in the area and was just curious.
My buddy took his at pennington a month or two ago.. it was a tl1000r, yellow tank, primered fairings, etc... lol did you teach him? name was James Lange

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.