Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this article posted yet, it is on CNN.com today.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/marine.motorcycles/index.html

QUANTICO, Virginia (CNN) -- Motorcycle accidents have killed more Marines in the past 12 months than enemy fire in Iraq, a rate that's so alarming it has prompted top brass to call a meeting to address the issue, officials say.
Despite crashes, Gunnery Sgt. Art Tucker rides a sport motorcycle. "I enjoy it. ... It relaxes me," he says.

Despite crashes, Gunnery Sgt. Art Tucker rides a sport motorcycle. "I enjoy it. ... It relaxes me," he says.

Twenty-five Marines have died in motorcycle crashes since last November -- all but one of them involving sport bikes that can reach speeds of well over 100 mph, according to Marine officials. In that same period, 20 Marines have been killed in action in Iraq.

The 25 deaths are the highest motorcycle death toll ever for the Marine Corps.

Gen. James Amos, the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps, told CNN that commanders are trying to drill down on what "we need to do to help our Marines survive on these sport bikes."

"The Marines are very serious about it," he said. Video Watch these aren't your father's Harleys »

Marine Gunnery Sgt. Art Tucker knows all too well about the dangers of sport bikes. An owner of a Kawasaki Ninja, Tucker has had two crashes, and the second one nearly killed him.

"I sustained a broken collar bone, I tore the shoulder out of the socket, I tore three ligaments in the shoulder, the rotator cuff, I broke three vertebrae," said Tucker, a drill instructor for new officers.

"The worst was a head injury I received: a bruised brain. And it caused hemorrhaging, and from that I had partial paralysis of the left leg, full paralysis of the left foot and toes, and that was for approximately six months."
Don't Miss

* Petraeus set to take over U.S. Central Command
* Iraq vets and post-traumatic stress: No easy answers
* Iraqi ministry members hurt in car bombing

Amos said he and other top Marine officials will spend half the day Monday "focusing on nothing but motorcycle issues." The commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. James Conway, and other senior leadership will attend the meeting at the Quantico, Virginia, Marine base, he said.

About 18,000 of the nearly 200,000 Marines are believed to own motorcycles, Amos said.

The Marines have taken some measures. The Marine Corps has had a long-standing policy for all Marines who ride motorcycles to take a mandatory basic riding course. More recently, it added a second training course specifically designed to train Marines who ride sport bikes.

Any Marine caught riding, even on leave, without going through the training courses faces Marine Corps punishment, officials say.

On a recent day at the Quantico training track, Marines whizzed by on their bikes.

"I think the basic rider course has been great," said Cpl. Austin Oakley. "Here, they put you in situations you want to be weary of out in that open road."

Oakley said he recently returned to the United States from Japan, and he immediately jumped at the chance to buy a sport bike. He said it's not uncommon for Marines to have motorcycle clubs within their units.

"We'll go out on rides together. Fridays for lunchtime, we'll all meet up and go to lunch," Oakley said. "When I get on my motorcycle, it's me and the motorcycle. I don't need to go fast. I don't need to do anything like that. It's just being free."

The rise in motorcycle deaths isn't confined to Marines. The Navy says it's had 33 deaths on motorcycles over the past 12 months -- a 65 percent jump from the previous time period. And authorities say motorcycle deaths have been a problem in the civilian world, too.

Military officials say they're not sure why the deaths are on the rise. They initially believed the accidents might involve mostly young Marines and sailors around 18 or 19 years old. But Navy statistics show that five of the victims were 25, the most prevalent of any age involved in the crashes. And two 40-year-old sailors were killed in motorcycle crashes.

Gen. Amos said the Marines have seen a similar trend.

But he says the new training seems to be working: Of the 300 young men and women who have gone through the sport-bike course, only three have had accidents.

The safety course instructors said some Marines who go through the training decide the sport bike is not for them.
advertisement

But even some Marines who've survived past crashes still want to ride again, even after they get the new training.

"I enjoy it," said Tucker. "I can actually get on my motorcycle and ride, and it's just like if I were to do bowling or rock climbing or scuba diving. It's something for me. It relaxes me."

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats a suprising statistic. What does that tell you about the marines? They will accept anybody no matter how low you score on the entry test or what you've done. I've talked to marines that joined because they were drug dealers and they needed to get out of town because they were probably gonna get caught and they needed to get the hell outta dodge.

·
Registered
734 Posts
no, it tells more about the job than the recruits. When they get back from the action, they need things to get the adrenalin and endorphins going, otherwise they don't feel right, because they have become so accustomed to it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats a suprising statistic. What does that tell you about the marines? They will accept anybody no matter how low you score on the entry test or what you've done. I've talked to marines that joined because they were drug dealers and they needed to get out of town because they were probably gonna get caught and they needed to get the hell outta dodge.
I don't think you're qualified to respond in this thread. The Marine Corps attracts young men who are in search of a sense of purpose and adventure. Motorcycles offer the latter and we all know that young men often have a sense of invincibility which leads them to take risks that they probably shouldn't which leads to these statistics.

·
Registered
421 Posts
your just fucking retarded.... i have so much to speak about what you just said but i know it will fall on deaf ears. im not even gonna begin to go into this with you....

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yep they all get their 10% that aint worth a shit! I'm glad you went in the airforce!so what does that say for them?:eek:

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
From what I understand the Air Force has been experiencing a sharp rise in scooter related deaths, particularly those involving two airmen on a single Vespa. :D

I'm kidding FF...Don't ban me bro! :D

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
From what I understand the Air Force has been experiencing a sharp rise in scooter related deaths, particularly those involving two airmen on a single Vespa. :D

I'm kidding FF...Don't ban me bro! :D
You, sir, are pushing your luck :p

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I stopped reading after the article said a motorcycle killed someone, comparing it to an enemy or war.

·
Registered
592 Posts

I would absolutely LOVE to watch you say that to my bros who have served two tours in Iraq, and going back in March to Afghanistan....(both of which have college degrees).

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
since when did the motorcycles gain a mind of their own, when will ppl understand that most the time in an accident it is rider error, the bikes only do what we tell them to do & depending on the conditions it may or may not bite ya. This kinda shit reminds me of when ppl say that guns kill ppl, not the ppl. It sucks that they were killed in an accident no doubt, but they need to learn to place the proper blame, another bad publicity for motorcycles GREAT

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
No offense intended to the airforce, I'm just glad they aren't all like that one! I worked with the airforce at Red Flag in 79, had a great time!:)

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
We're not immortal? Fack!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We're not immortal? Fack!
I'm not scared or stupid, I just think there has to be a better way out of this life other then a violent and or painful one!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts