Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...test_n_889427.html?&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

:(

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't mind wearing a helmet, now if we could get a law passed that allows lane splitting, that'd be great. :D

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
(shakes head)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just saw this story on Slate and I don't get the logic. Safety gear should be mandatory in the same vein as seat-belts are but I doubt that will happen in the U.S.

·
Registered
770 Posts
People like him are how other people make lots of money

·
Registered
737 Posts
Nicole Dunn, 29, of Rapid City was killed Sunday after she was thrown from a motorcycle at around 4 p.m. near Keystone.
The driver of the 2006 Suzuki motorcycle, Ryan Wiechmann, 31, of Rapid City was traveling north on US 16A near milepost 58, one mile north of Keystone, when he moved from the right lane to the left lane to get around slower traffic.
A vehicle driven by Jason Garza, 33, or Phoenix, Ariz., was stopped in the left lane waiting to turn into a parking lot. Wiechmann was unable to avoid striking the rear of the Garza's 2006 Dodge Caravan.
A 1998 Chevrolet Blazer was traveling south on US 16A. The driver, David Leitchmann, 60, of Savage, Minn., saw the crash and moved towards the shoulder of the roadway to avoid the motorcycle and occupants coming into the lane of travel. However, Leitchmann was unable to avoid the passenger from the motorcycle Dunn, striking her.
Dunn suffered fatal injuries from the crash. Wiechmann was transported to Rapid City Regional with serious non life threatening injuries.
Wiechmann and Dunn were not wearing helmets

Ya, them there helmets and safety stuff is stupid.

Read more: Rapid City female killed Sunday in motorcycle accident

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
I love my helmet, I wouldn't not wear it even if it was legal.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
You guys are so biased it's not even funny, I don't even know if you are aware or could be made aware of it. What does it matter if someone ELSE wears or doesn't wear a helmet. It's their life not yours.

A point in case would be if this was a ride to advocate lane splitting and the rider was wearing a helmet but died while lane splitting. You'd all still be pushing for lane splitting like nothing happened and if you did acknowledge the death from lane splitting you'd try to be singling him out as a bad rider and it wasn't the lane splitting that did him in.

This guy may have died but he died fighting for his beliefs, and riding with the wind in his hair just like he wanted. We're all going to die one day, will you die with fear or will you die feeling free.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
Rear braking :rolleyes:. It is great irony though. Sometimes you literally have to FORCE people to do things like wear helmets otherwise they're too fucking stubborn to do so. And no it's not one of those "Well it doesn't affect you if so-and-so doesn't wear a helmet". Then I point out where things like "health insurance" and "motorcycle insurance" rates come from. I don't like paying a lot to ride because other people are squidly. If people are going to not wear safety gear insurance companies don't know or care. They just raise the rates for EVERYONE on a bike.

Nicole Dunn, 29, of Rapid City was killed Sunday after she was thrown from a motorcycle at around 4 p.m. near Keystone.
The driver of the 2006 Suzuki motorcycle, Ryan Wiechmann, 31, of Rapid City was traveling north on US 16A near milepost 58, one mile north of Keystone, when he moved from the right lane to the left lane to get around slower traffic.
A vehicle driven by Jason Garza, 33, or Phoenix, Ariz., was stopped in the left lane waiting to turn into a parking lot. Wiechmann was unable to avoid striking the rear of the Garza's 2006 Dodge Caravan.
A 1998 Chevrolet Blazer was traveling south on US 16A. The driver, David Leitchmann, 60, of Savage, Minn., saw the crash and moved towards the shoulder of the roadway to avoid the motorcycle and occupants coming into the lane of travel. However, Leitchmann was unable to avoid the passenger from the motorcycle Dunn, striking her.
Dunn suffered fatal injuries from the crash. Wiechmann was transported to Rapid City Regional with serious non life threatening injuries.
Wiechmann and Dunn were not wearing helmets

Ya, them there helmets and safety stuff is stupid.

Read more: Rapid City female killed Sunday in motorcycle accident
It makes me laugh every time. Less than 10% of people wear helmets at the LEAST in this state. Every Spring/Summer people die left and right on motorcycles around here and I don't feel an ounce of remorse for any of them. None of them ever wear helmets or any safety gear so f them.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You guys are so biased it's not even funny, I don't even know if you are aware or could be made aware of it. What does it matter if someone ELSE wears or doesn't wear a helmet. It's their life not yours.

A point in case would be if this was a ride to advocate lane splitting and the rider was wearing a helmet but died while lane splitting. You'd all still be pushing for lane splitting like nothing happened and if you did acknowledge the death from lane splitting you'd try to be singling him out as a bad rider and it wasn't the lane splitting that did him in.

This guy may have died but he died fighting for his beliefs, and riding with the wind in his hair just like he wanted. We're all going to die one day, will you die with fear or will you die feeling free.
I am not going to argue your logic. A man is the sum of his convictions and he ain't a man if he doesn't stand for them... But in this case a helmet would have him standing for his convictions a bit longer. Hilter thought the Jews had mind powers I am not doubting in his belief of it, just on the stupidity of it.

Lane splitting does not save lives helmets do... Apples and oranges mate. I think you have lane splitting confused with high speed line riding anyways.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I am not going to argue your logic. A man is the sum of his convictions and he ain't a man if he doesn't stand for them... But in this case a helmet would have him standing for his convictions a bit longer. Hilter thought the Jews had mind powers I am not doubting in his belief of it, just on the stupidity of it.

Lane splitting does not save lives helmets do... Apples and oranges mate. I think you have lane splitting confused with high speed line riding anyways.
I think when the advocates on here for lane splitting argue that it would prevent them from getting rear ended, that falls under "save lives" :D

Again as I knew you would your trying to separate yourself from my theoretical case.

Why do you care so much if someone else wears a helmet? Are you in the helmet business or sharing profits from sales?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Rear braking :rolleyes:.

From what I've heard, rear braking on a Harley actually does a lot of work compared to a sportbike. Regardless, even if he didn't have a front brake, sounded like he highsided :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Why do you care so much if someone else wears a helmet? Are you in the helmet business or sharing profits from sales?
VeX answered this question. The more deaths, the more risky motorcycling becomes statistically, and therefore, insurance rates go up for everyone. If you want to be rebellious and not obey the law, that's fine. Maybe we'll be reading about you next week. Some of us would like to live for another ride. Others.. well, they end up in the news, and one would hope lessons would be learned from their mistakes...

My condolences to anyone who knew the guy or his family.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
VeX answered this question. The more deaths, the more risky motorcycling becomes statistically, and therefore, insurance rates go up for everyone. If you want to be rebellious and not obey the law, that's fine. Maybe we'll be reading about you next week. Some of us would like to live for another ride. Others.. well, they end up in the news, and one would hope lessons would be learned from their mistakes...

My condolences to anyone who knew the guy or his family.
The insurnace thing is kinda... a lame excuse. Can't we all think of something better than human life vs. monetary expense? Doesn't sound liek a strong case for helmet-wearer's, who's one defense is that it raises their bills... how tragic.

I let natural selection do the work, but I would like to hear, on this forum, something better than MONEY being reason. I guess you can say it makes their families sad.. and you feel bad for their sadness... thats the only thing I can really come up with.

They raise rates, but FAT PEOPLE raise fucking rates way more than motorcyclists without helmets.. They have a right to be fat.. don't they?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't wear my helmet, unless I'm going on the highway "my glasses don't work as well over 50mph" But i'll be damned if I drive a mile without my gloves.......makes me feel naked!
I'd be willing to bet that Helmets in cars would make cagers safer, but everyone seems to think that idea is stupit....If your argument about helmets making insurance cheaper, why isint insurance rates for motorcycles much higher in states that have no helmet laws...Last time I checked insurance was cheaper here in NH then in any of the surrounding states that require helmets! The story its self is Horribly Ironic though...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts