Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was not too happy with the feel of my trans, when shifting it felt kinda like the gears were grinding(i could feel the gears meshing with eachother.). this has been my only complaint about my bike so far. i spoke with several kawasaki mechanics and they said it was normal but, recomended switching to synthetic oil. so at @1000 miles i switched to motul 300v 4t 10-40, and it is night and day different. i am now 100% happy with my bike, it shifts soo smooth and quiet. i think i picked up a little power too. i highly recomend switching to systhetic oil for anyone who wants a better feel from the transmission. motul oil rocks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Is it full synthetic or blend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
It's a blend. I use it also and love it. Definatly would recommend for the next oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I use Silkolene (I use the full synthetic, but they also sell a blend). If you go to their web site, they will recommend an oil specifically for your bike. IMO Silkolene is the best stuff out there. However, it is VERY IMPORTANT to note that once you use a pure synthetic oil, you cannot go back to a petroleum based. It will destroy your transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the motul 300v 4t is 100% full synthetic. i was told to use a full synthetic to make the transmission shift (feel) better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
i use the motul 5100 blend and love it.smoothed mine out too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Holy expensivness! $14 per liter!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Good God al' mighty son, 14 bones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Originally posted by Ninja Boy
I use Silkolene (I use the full synthetic, but they also sell a blend). If you go to their web site, they will recommend an oil specifically for your bike. IMO Silkolene is the best stuff out there. However, it is VERY IMPORTANT to note that once you use a pure synthetic oil, you cannot go back to a petroleum based. It will destroy your transmission.
Thats a negative Ninja Boy ,no such truth to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know it is crazy, i paid $14.00 per qt. but since it will take me 6 months to put on 3000 miles, i dont mind soo much. i would have paid double that to get my transmission to feel the way it does now. like i said before, that was my only complaint about my bike. now i cant complain at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Yup, it's a bit on the expensive side, but I won't use anything else now. Improved the shifting quite a bit. Everytime I try a diffent oil, it never feels quite the same. Wierd , but true!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
Originally posted by kermitz636
i know it is crazy, i paid $14.00 per qt. but since it will take me 6 months to put on 3000 miles, i dont mind soo much. i would have paid double that to get my transmission to feel the way it does now. like i said before, that was my only complaint about my bike. now i cant complain at all.
your waiting 3000m befor an oil change isn't that a bit long? it recomends 3000km which is like 1800m....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
The 5100 is semi-synthetic.
The 300V is full synthetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Originally posted by Leanlow



your waiting 3000m befor an oil change isn't that a bit long? it recomends 3000km which is like 1800m....
manual says change oil and filter at

600 mi
7500 mi
15000 mi
24000 mi
30000 mi

or every year

so whatever "it" is you're reading, its not page 88 of your owners manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
I will try it on my next oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Online is the only place you can get this stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Originally posted by kermitz636
i was not too happy with the feel of my trans, when shifting it felt kinda like the gears were grinding(i could feel the gears meshing with eachother.). this has been my only complaint about my bike so far. i spoke with several kawasaki mechanics and they said it was normal but, recomended switching to synthetic oil. so at @1000 miles i switched to motul 300v 4t 10-40, and it is night and day different. i am now 100% happy with my bike, it shifts soo smooth and quiet. i think i picked up a little power too. i highly recomend switching to systhetic oil for anyone who wants a better feel from the transmission. motul oil rocks!
I switched to a thicker oil....15w-50 (Motul semi-synthetic) and that did the job nicely....35$ cdn for 4 liters.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i picked it up at the kawasaki dealer down the street. they had a few different brands, motul, maxima & silkolene. i just decied to go with motul, im sure they all are good. i do think im going to stick with motul products for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Originally posted by Ninja Boy
....... However, it is VERY IMPORTANT to note that once you use a pure synthetic oil, you cannot go back to a petroleum based. It will destroy your transmission.
I also heard that was bs so I have a tendancy to agree with "636Rick"....anyone have the facts about this....???
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top