Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my two neighbors and I decide to ride to Estes Park, have lunch, and come back. Nothing major, maybe 3hrs round trip eating and all. I have the 05 ZZR, neighbor #1 has/had a 02 ZX6R, neighbor #2 has a 01 GSXR 600 that now has the engine from a 02 Gsxr 1000 residing in it. I call it Gixxerstein...

Now anyone from CO knows that the way up to Estes Park has some awesome road that is unfortunately littered with tourist driving 20mph pointing at the tops of the mountains. It makes me nuts, even when I'm in the car. Luckily there comes a point on the way up, at Drake CO, where you have a choice. Either go left, and take the incredibly beautiful route up the Big Thompson and share the wonderful curves with motorhomes going 15-20mph. Thats great if you have a Nikon or Canon hanging around your neck...the camera was at home so with palms beginning to sweat with excitement we went right, the "backway" into Estes.

The "backway" is no slouch in the beauty department, just not quite as pretty as the main route. The road is narrow, and the curves are tighter. But, there are very few cagers, and pretty much zero tourist. Now as we get going Neighbor #1 waves Neigbor #3 on Gixxerstein and myself by. He's smart in that he wants to ride at his on pace. Gixxerstein is leading and he and I are going at a pretty good clip. Every so often I check the rearview and see Neighbor #1 bringing up the rear on his Kawi. Gixxerstein and I start getting into a rhythm and are having blast. (I must make it clear that we are riding safely, though I suppose thats a matter of opinion. Whatever your opinion we weren't doing crazy ass Motogp stuff into the wrong lane at 100mph+ and no passing on double yellows. In fact we didn't have to pass anyone because there were no cars to pass.) Finally we come to a straight and I check my mirror and there's no Neighbor #1 in site. So within seconds Gixxerstein and I pull over. We head back down hoping everything was ok.

A mile or so back I come up to Neighbor #1 standing on the side of the road with his helmet off. I stop and look down the 12-15 ft drop and see his yellow ZX6R in the river. He had come upto a decreasing radius right hander. Its deceptive in that right when you think you can relax on the nice little sweeper, it suddenly tightens dramatically. The picts don't do it justice. He said it caught him of guard and he last the rear end of the bike. Luckily he had all his gear on or it could have been much worse. Not only that, but the brush on the side of the road caught him and kept him from flying into the river.

Because of his gear he walked away with hardly a scratch. His helmet hit the pavement pretty hard and his jacket saved him the rash. All in all a lucky day.

Sorry for the camera phone pics....remember I left the Nikon at home :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Damn! That sucks ass. Hope your biddy has full coverage. Happy to hear he walked away from it.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
[:M23] glad you guys are okay... gear is everything in our sport

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, he has full coverage. As for the gear...man, his forehead had a decent red mark on it from his helmet hitting the pavement. Possible fatality right there. Then if he made it past the head injury he would have been rashed like crazy, and he had some minor bruising on his abdomen from the branches that saved him from the river. No jacket and possible puncture wound....

I wear my gear at all times whether in the twisties or just around town...when its 100 or so degrees I feel goofy sitting at a red light sweating like crazy in my leather, but oh well thats the price of doing business, and I like life.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Crazy shit for you guys. Glad everyone made it out ok. I was up in that country a few years back before I was into bikes and whenever I get out that way now I just think of riding those badass curves. That photo looks just like a place we stopped to take some picutres of the stream. Sorry if its a river where Im at thats not a river its a creek to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Glad your buddy wasn't hurt worse. It definitely sounds like the gear saved him so props to you and your friends for wearing it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Glad your buddy made out okay. Sucks about the bike though but its replaceable. Nice job wearing the gear be safe!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I was happy to find him standing on the side of the road instead of laying in the road. As for gear, I don't get how guys ride without the gear. Every so often a big ass bug will hit my helmet, and I just know it would have hurt like hell had I been helmetless.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Glad your buddy is okay. Great to hear that he was wearing gear. That is one of the funniest titles to a thread that I have ever seen.

--David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.