Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a Cheetah (or similiar) solo seat on their 2003 / 2004 636? This is race glass and not street stuff so there are no mounting points provided. Here is what I am planning to do, let me know if this is in line to what you did.

1. Use the OEM mounting tab positions front and rear.

2. Use the OEM seat lock

3. 2 fastners through the top of the tail cowl into the OEM bracket mounting tab.

4. 2 fastners through the sides of the tail cowl at front with a spacer in behind the cowl.

5. Reinforce the holes with some epoxy and glass.

I'm not sure if I will use the undercowl as it fits really bad, even if I try to make it fit right.

Does anyone have any pics of how they mounted their tail sections?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
PITA!!

I drilled six holes through the undercover edges and tailpiece edges and used automotive push fasteners (two piece plastic fasteners) to attach the undercover to the tailpiece. I then drilled two holes in the undercover below the stock well nuts above and use long bolts to hold it in place. Kinda mickey mouse but it works.

yeah the undercowl ( I call it the undercover) is a mediocre fit. You don't notice when it is mounted up, the way I did it the fasteners line up everything and there are just two gaps at the very rear of the undercover.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Ernie, I kind of see what you are doing here. Basicly the undercover is the most rigidly mounted piece with actually the tail cowl attatched to it.

Are the heads of the long bolts that you mention on top of the seat cowl?

Are you still using the stock seat latch?

Thanks for your input................

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I use the stock seat latch with a bolt through it to hold it in place, I don't use the key/cable setup.

the bolts come up from below through the undercowl. I wish I could send a pic but the bike is in the shop.

All the mounting is done through the undercowl. As you pointed out, with the six plastic fasteners it is rigidly mounted to the upper seat cowl, and the two bolts from below into the existing nuts hold it all in place. It actually works out ok, to my surprise. Only hassle is you have to remove the two bolts and six pop fasteners to get the cowl apart enough to remove the seat, cause you have to reach up under to move the latch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.