Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have an 08 ninja 250 and absolutely love it. Its my first bike and im glad I got it before getting some thing bigger, but im sure after a year or two of riding the 250 Im gonna want something bigger. Either the ninja zx6r or the zx10r. Is the zx10r too big of a jump? Ill have pretty good riding skills after a year or so and I love both the 600 and 1000 but im not sure what would be better. Anybody ever get bored of a 600? Just wondering what everyone else did when they got bigger bikes.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Get a 600. A liter bike is a pretty big jump. Odds are if you got a 250 to start with, you have enough sense to know better than to think you have "outgrown" a 600. For now, learn as much as you can on the 250. I say ride it at least 5,000 miles, even do a track day or two with it if you get the chance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just my .02, but I have been riding for almost 11 years on the streets. I have a pretty good repertoire of bikes under my belt. About 6 months ago my girlfriend and I split up and I was left with an 09 250 with only 200 miles on it. Well, I have been riding this as my 636 is undergoing massive amounts of upgrades, and I am probably going to race this bike next season. The 250 is a great bike, and there is no need to bail on it right away. Definitely do not go right up to a litre bike, as that is a good way to kill yourself. A 600 is probably just right if you absolutely want to upgrade, but take it from me, I haven't had as much fun on my 636 as I have on the 250.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
The majority of sport bike riders are on 600's and perfectly happy with them. The liter bikes is insanity and not for everyone. It's all personal preference. I rode 600's and a 750 before moving to my 10R and was always happy with them, just wanted to try something new.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I'll get something like a ZX10R someday just because im a speed and power junkie but my ZX6R is honestly faster then anything I would ever need. A liter bike isn't ridiculously faster then a 600 by any means... there both fast as all hell... its just that a liter bike is much more likely to put itself on the ground because the front end comes up a bit easier and they have noticeably more low end power..

600 = fast as hell but with manageable power because it doesnt get insane until the higher RPM range.

1000 = also fast as hell (only a second faster in the 1/4 mile and a 20mph higher top speed) but the power can be a bit twitchy and you need to be in complete control of your throttle hand because the power comes on hard enough to get yourself into trouble even in the lower rpms...

Its entirely possible for a really good rider on a 600 to beat a really crappy rider on a 1000 at the drag strip... the biggest difference between the 2 is the "oh crap" factor.

The 1000's are faster bikes, but I can guarantee your underestimating how fast 600's are if you havnt ridden one. Also.. ZX6R's have really smooth power curves while ZX10R's are known as the most twitchy and scary (or fun) bikes to ride on the sport bike market right now.. so thats something to think about if your gunna stay with a Kawi.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
I'm about to make 2 years on my record with my 250R. No complaints, yet I realized that with my habits. I need a bigger bike, consider bike revs faster and louder at just slow speed. I hated that, and I felt like a fag. I wanted something that stays under 5k rpm at 40 mph or something, with the nice tone of low-mid rumble. I've kept a few options to self. But I can say the broader the power gets, the better it is. But more power will require more respect.

The 250R, as I am gonna eat my rotten words back. I might as well have to want trade it in for a truck to transport. Since I'm getting into the dirt motosports now, and is going to eye out a project off craiglist for a 125 or 250 dirtbike.

I will eventually get a new bike though before or after.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Reactions: hoser

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I'll agree with the others and say don't even look at a 10R except to admire it. I bought my ZZR600 as my first bike 5 years ago and it's still a blast to ride, especially now that I have a Driven -1/+2 sprocket kit. I recently sold my GSXR1000, and that thing was a monster in comparison to a 600 (Yeah, try 100 mph at the top of first gear, and 2nd gear easy to bring front wheel off the ground, on purpose and on accident). I highly suggest getting a nice used fuel injected 600 as your next bike. Also, the insurance on a 1000 is a bit more than a 600. I'll reiterate FUEL INJECTED. I friggin hate carburetors.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just upgraded to 6R this year after 10k on the 250, and I couldn't imagine getting bored of a 600 on the street. If you do, you're taking too many chances IMHO.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I've been riding ZX6R's for about 6 years now and I have not grown bored with them. I'm always updating, modding, maitaining, etc. The ZX6R has more power than I'll ever need.

I hope this helps!

:D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Simply put... a 600 will forgive a lot more than a 1000. Get a 600, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I went from a 250R to my 600 after putting 6k miles on the 250. I don't know your riding style or what you're looking for, but the jump up was tremendous (speed-wise). You'll have no regrets going to the 600... trust me!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts