Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Sat and Sun I will be participating in the local MSF course (A+ Rider) and am scheduled to take delivery of a new 636 on Monday. I am so excited I can hardly wait but am a little nervous at the same time.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
WOW. A ZX6R as a starter bike? Be careful.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Be careful guy. A ZX-6R will bite hard if you let it. There are differing opinions on how to break a bike in, but in your case I would DEFINITELY recommend following the factory recommended break-in procedure so that you get used to the bike little by little. Keeps the revs below 4K for the first 500 miles (~45mph max speed), then below 6K for another 1000 miles or so. I've only been riding a few years but I still crap my pants going WOT in 1st or 2nd gear...

Enjoy your new bike and be careful! Get gear!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I took the MSF after riding for 4 years prior. The MSF is excellent stuff, but one instructor said something that was the most relevant thing I learned during the course..... "You are now qualified to operate a 250cc v twin motorcycle at slow speeds in a parking lot." Be careful on that 636, she'll buck you if you give 'er the chance!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thnx for the support. I plan on taking it very slow and easy for quite some time. I have no interest in destroying myself or such a nice piece of machinery.
I am fully aware that this may not be the ideal "starter" bike but I do infact have some seat time from my old KTM 250 and from riding my dad's harley. Talk about alot of bike, I remember my first ride on that big v-twin.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
A couple months ago I got a 636 as my starter bike. Lots of people told me it was too much bike and that I should be careful. I was careful for a while but then went insane. Two crashes later....I owe lots of money but I'm still riding it.

Just remember to stay in your skill level. You may be perfectly comfortable doing something but it could be out of your skill level. I thought I was comfortbable doing 60mph in the forest twisties. Until I got burned twice doing that.

OK enuf of that....enjoy the bike. The 636 is awesome [:p]

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
That's good to hear that you have prior experience. I remember the night before I got my ZX6R, I couldn’t sleep. [:p]

·
Registered
306 Posts
my advice before u even go ridin as much as u want to go get frame sliders first and formost u would hate to mess up ur new bike and everyone says there gonna go slow and just cruise but the itch gets to u next thing u know ur runnin from the cops lol[}:)]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Where are you taking the class at? I'm taking it this weekend in Burleson. What color is your bike? THe ZX6r is my first bike that I have owned and I think I have handled it pretty well so far. I hav not tried the accelartion as hard as I do in my cobra, but let me tell you, this bike gets up! DO some research on the break in , I found some good info mainly about varying the rpm's to get the rings to seal good.
M

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 636 was my first bike and it depends on the rider. Just stay cool man keep your head up and learn the bike, how it rides, how it turns, how it brakes and you'll have a lot of fun mate. Keep the shiny side up and wave to your local riders who are enjoying the day on a bike. :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by satan
my advice before u even go ridin as much as u want to go get frame sliders first and formost u would hate to mess up ur new bike and everyone says there gonna go slow and just cruise but the itch gets to u next thing u know ur runnin from the cops lol[}:)]
i want to order the motivation sliders but am afraid they will not be here in time. looks like i will be buying the set from bike shop for $80 :(

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by SIRpent
Where are you taking the class at? I'm taking it this weekend in Burleson. What color is your bike? THe ZX6r is my first bike that I have owned and I think I have handled it pretty well so far. I hav not tried the accelartion as hard as I do in my cobra, but let me tell you, this bike gets up! DO some research on the break in , I found some good info mainly about varying the rpm's to get the rings to seal good.
M
Bedford (HEB) i signed up for Arlington but the class was full.
oh and it looks like i am getting the lime green, that's the only color left

·
Registered
244 Posts
My 636 is/was my first bike.. I too took the MSF course.. Nothing to worry about.. You will do just fine.. Just don't get 'cocky'.. And since you have to break the bike in, be easy on the throttle.. Those bikes provided by the MSF for the class ar nothing compared to the ZX..

have fun, be safe..

-O

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by uuc328

Bedford (HEB) i signed up for Arlington but the class was full.
oh and it looks like i am getting the lime green, that's the only color left
Where are you getting your bike from and how much?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by SIRpent

Where are you getting your bike from and how much?
I am buying from Kawasaki City in Irving $8237 OTD unless you know of some place better????

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Originally posted by uuc328

I am buying from Kawasaki City in Irving $8237 OTD unless you know of some place better????
8230 OTD is a real straight price for the bike... There are people on here that have paid less... but 8230OTD you are not getting ripped off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you don't want to go out there to get it, call Bill TAylor at D&S, they will match the price, and should be able to get you what ever color you want, save for the SE.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.