Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

MSF pleasant surprise

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  BP88 
#1 ·
After finishing one of the MSF course maneuvers, the instructor waved me over to him. I thought "what'd I do this time" He looks at me and says, "what do you do on your summer weekends?" "why?" I asked puzzledly. "Have you ever thought about teaching one of these things? You're a good rider and would be great instructor with your personality."

I didn't know how to respond since I had had a whole 3 weeks riding experience at that point. He just said "something to think about..." and I rode back to get in line at the starting gate.

After graduation he pulled me aside, gave me his business card and some of the details about how it all worked. I've only mentioned this to one other person all year. You're the second one.

Apparently these guys make a lot of money for only part time work. You can write off your miles on your bike, and get sic hookups from dealerships on parts and accessories.

Yeah, I was flattered, especially since I've only got about 750 miles of experience. But I think this is something I'd love to do.

The hardest part would be watching the other riders on their bikes while I had to stay on my feet :(

(btw, I got my license today and had a girl on the back for the first time. That was fun too)

Just thought I'd share, and It's all because of my 250.

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice!

#4 ·
That's pretty cool. The 250R is so much easier to handle compared to the cruisers they had us use at the MSF. Were you the only Ninja 250R? And how'd you do on the test? I missed 6 points on the first U-Turn then perfect on everything else.

I'm waiting until I've taken the Experienced RiderCourse at 3000 miles before I take a passenger... when you had your passenger, where did you ride and for how long? I've gotten requests and even got the gear for them, but only 640 miles of experience.

#7 ·
Nothing against your riding skills what so ever, but it is surprising that the instructor would offer you such a job. I mean, you were there to learn and what not. When I took my MSF course in Ohio, I remember hearing the instructors saying how difficult it was to get the job that they had. Anyway, good luck, I would go for it if I were you!

#11 ·
Take the job. I have been asked to teach the Military Sportbike course here in my state...haven't found time yet but they sent me another e-mail asking me this morning...I said I would do it.

#13 ·
It's here in Utah. They said they don't have a lot of people to teach so don't worry I'm not about to hop on a Busa cause I think I'm the best rider out here. I know I've got a lot to learn in the on-bike skills department. Maybe a reason why I was okay on my bike when I first got it was because I had to wait 2 months for it. During those two months I spent literally 3 hours every day reading all the safety and skills research I could find online. When I finally threw my leg over it, I remembered everything I had learned online, the rest was just muscle memory and concentration on the controls.

Were you the only Ninja 250R? And how'd you do on the test?
I was 1 of 2 people on a ninja 250. The other bike was owned by the course providers and was an older generation bike obviously. I missed 2 points on my test, one of which was for stopping 1 foot too long on the quick stop and the other I had to try 2xs to get it into first gear.

I definately think I'm going to do it. It won't even be an option (from their perspective) until next year because they only do the instructors training course once anually. By then I will have several thousand miles on my bike guaranteed. Since I posted this last, I've already added another 150. I'm really excited for it actually :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.