Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I start MSF this weekend :D. It's the two-day one.

I'm 16, and have my permit.
After I pass MSF, which I am sure I will, they will give me a waiver that will skip the test at the DMV (I think).

Even though I only have a permit, will I get the motorcycle license at the DMV when I hand them the waiver?
A local Kawasaki dealer seller told me they are two different things.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
You will receive a card that you show to the DMV, they will in turn issue your license.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm not sure you can even take the msf without you motorcycle permit. And no, the dmv will not issue you a license without you first passing the written permit exam.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure you can even take the msf without you motorcycle permit. And no, the dmv will not issue you a license without you first passing the written permit exam.

Well, they must be allowing it because they gave the a-ok for me to do it.

Also,
Are the motorcycle license and car license two different things?
I was told I can have a motorcycle license without having a car license yet.

· Registered
37 Posts
Not sure about where you are, but here you need to have a Class D to get your Class M.

When I took my MSF it was on private property so the permit was not necessary to take it. After completing the MSF course I was given a waiver that I then took to the DMV. Before I could get my license I had to pass the written exam that you would have to pass anyways to get your permit. If you already have the permit you wouldn't have to pass this again. If you pass the written test in the MSF class then you should be able to pass the DMV test.

After passing that they will have you get your picture retaken and then update your license.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure about where you are, but here you need to have a Class D to get your Class M.

When I took my MSF it was on private property so the permit was not necessary to take it. After completing the MSF course I was given a waiver that I then took to the DMV. Before I could get my license I had to pass the written exam that you would have to pass anyways to get your permit. If you already have the permit you wouldn't have to pass this again. If you pass the written test in the MSF class then you should be able to pass the DMV test.

After passing that they will have you get your picture retaken and then update your license.
What I needed to know! Thanks!

:respect:

· Registered
69 Posts
In Nj you have to go to the DMV and take the motorcycle written exam. If you pass that, then you will get a permit. you take that permit to the MSF and they will validate it for you if you pass the written and practical portion of the MSF. Then you take that permit which is validated by the MSF Instructor to the DMV and they will add a Class M to your normal driver's license. Hope this helps!!

· Registered
139 Posts
In Nj you have to go to the DMV and take the motorcycle written exam. If you pass that, then you will get a permit. you take that permit to the MSF and they will validate it for you if you pass the written and practical portion of the MSF. Then you take that permit which is validated by the MSF Instructor to the DMV and they will add a Class M to your normal driver's license. Hope this helps!!
Same way in New York

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
same in Massachusetts

· Registered
3,668 Posts
i thought one of the requirements was to have a drivers licenses = the mc permit

· Registered
208 Posts
It Really depends on the state you live in.

In CA, you will need to have your Normal Drivers License and then your Motor Endorsement. You will need to take the CA Written Motorcycle test (Which is a near carbon copy of the written you will have to pass with MSF). Then you will be granted the M1 Endorsement.

In AZ, on the other hand, you still need a drivers license, but you will be given your Motorcycle Endorsement on the spot with your MSF completion certificate. No additional testing is necessary.

I'm not sure about other states.

One does NOT need a Motor permit to take the MSF course.

Jim

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
In Massachusetts, you don't need your driver's license to get your motorcycle license.

I got my motorcycle license before I got my driver's license (mainly because I'd been trying to avoid the PIA that is scheduling the road test).

· Registered
1,518 Posts
I could've sworn you needed your drivers license before taking the MSF Course here, though, I may be wrong.

EDIT .. and I was right. Here in NY, you need both your Drivers License, and your Motorcycle Permit to take the class/use the waiver to get your Class M (Motorcycle License)

NYS DMV Policy states: All students MUST possess a valid NYS DMV issued motorcycle instruction permit or NYS DMV issued motorcycle driver license in order to participate in the BasicRider Course. Students will not be allowed to participate in the class if you arrive at class without a valid NYS DMV issued motorcycle instruction permit or NYS DMV issued motorcycle driver license. There will be no refund or re-schedule given.
*Students who possess a valid NYS Driver’s License and valid NYS Motorcycle Learner’s Permit may use successful completion of this course as an alternative to the motorcycle road test. Students must have a valid NYS Driver’s License and valid NYS Motorcycle Learner’s Permit prior to starting any course work.
Got that off of the website from which I took the class. Other states may be different, OP, you should check with your local DMV.

· Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know about Texas?

Although I'm pretty sure of what you need and all that,
I just want to make sure.

Here budd FAQ for the MSF course I took here in SA take a look at 5 and 6.
The Motorcycle School San Antonio & VictoriaTexas FAQ
5. Do I need a motorcycle permit to take the BRC?
No, you do not need a motorcycle "learning" permit to take this course.
Back to the top
6. Do I need a driver's license to take the BRC?
If you are less than 25 years of age, you need a driver's license or at least a learner's permit.
Back to the top

BRC = Basic Rider Course

Straight from TxDPS

Motorcycle License

Requirements for All Applicants
All first time applicants for a Texas motorcycle license must:

1. Apply in person at a Texas Driver License office.
  2. Complete the requirements for an original applicant.
  3. Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This completion certificate waives the driving test if you are 18 years of age or older.
Learner License
A motorcycle learner license allows a beginning driver to operate a motorcycle with someone in sight that is 21 years of age or older and holds a valid motorcycle license.

To obtain a motorcycle learner license (permit), you must:

1. Complete the requirements for a learner license.
  2. Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
Under age 18
If the first time or learner license applicant is under Age 18, you must:

1. Be a minimum of 15 years of age (restricted to only operate a motorcycle that has not more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement). On the 16th birthday of a special restricted Class M license, the 250 cubic centimeter restriction will be removed from the license without completion of an additional motorcycle operator training course.
  2. Complete the requirements for a learner license.
  3. Present the completion certificate of Driver Education.
  4. Submit a Verification of Enrollment and Attendance (VOE) form.
  5. Obtain parental authorization signature.
  6. Pass the mandatory motorcycle driving test.

Out-of-State

If you are currently out-of-state and want to add the motorcycle license to your Texas driver license, you must:

1. Complete the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. If a military member, a MSF course may be offered on base. If not, you can complete a course through a local college or university.
  2. Submit a copy of the graded written exam or a letter from the instructor stating the exam taken and grade given, and the MSF completion certificate.
  3. Submit the required fee in the form of a check or money order drawn on a U.S. Bank, payable to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  4. Mail the documents and required fee to:

Texas Department of Public Safety
    Attn: Records & Issuance Service/Manual Services
    P. O. Box 15999
    Austin, TX 78761-5999

· Registered
136 Posts
When I took MSF I only had my drivers (car) license. The MSF peopl gave me a card that specifically said "THIS DOES NOT WAIVE THE 9 MONTH MOTORCYCLE LEARNERS PERMIT PERIOD IF UNDER AGE 19". I was and still am 18 so when I went to the DMV I expected to get my permit. I asked the lady for my permit, showed her the card, and she said "you get your license not your permit" (she probably didnt see the permit period thing on the card)

Needless to say I didn't argue with her. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.