Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you guys know that it is wise to repack you exhaust canister roughly around 15k. This is new to me and I was reading the article today in the April edition of Sport Rider magazine. If you have this mag turn to page 178, read the article and tell me what you think about this. How many ppl are aware of this and how many ppl actually had this done?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, the point of having packing in a muffler is to MUFFLE sound. Considering the wear and tear that 15K miles worth of heat and exhaust has on packing material, it's safe to say it's not going to be doing much muffling at all. Repacking a muffler just makes it do what it was doing when it was young. On most mufflers, it's a pain in the ass to replace. You have to drill out the old rivits, take it apart, repack, and re-rivit the thing. Requires a special tool.

Good point though. Quieter bikes only help to clean up the already MUD name sportbikes have on the rest of the community.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Not only that my friend, as you burn out the packing you subject the muffler skin to more heat and damage. If you like the look of your carbon canister, its a good idea to repack once in a while and keep the skin from burning up.

It generally doesn't take more than about 30 minutes to drill, change and re-rivet the canister.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you run carbon you have to repack fairly often or you will just burn a hole right through the CF. Alu and stainless discolor but that is about it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Also a good reason to do the KLEEN air mod... get rid of the decel pop and help your packing from burning out too quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.