Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Highest mine ever got was 220 in 112 degree heat after sitting in traffic......... normal traffic operation from the bike has been around 210 and that is in 100 plus heat.

My 636 has 4000 miles on it and I use Castrol GTX dyno oil of that makes a difference

·
Registered
331 Posts
i live on LI so we've had the same heat. i rode it out to the hamptons twice last weekend and i was cruising on sunrise right around 195 or 200° in the 90+ heat... in traffic and at lights it would jump to 205 or so. i figured it was around normal, but ive also cruised on cooler days at 170 +/- 10°...

·
Registered
210 Posts
im in MA and i've noticed my temp up around 215 before i just thought it was normal.
but i dont know that much....... mainly just twist throttle...LOL

·
Registered
512 Posts
i live in va beach and i cruise in 90+ in horrible humidity and i cruise normally at 190-200 sitting at lights will go to 214-215, if I turn the bike off then go lets say get gas or by something then come out I will see it as high as 226, but not to worry the bike has a temp warning that will come on if it is to hot, and beyond that the bike will shut off, never seen or heard of it, hope this helps. the only problem I have is I can really feel the heat on my right leg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not just the hot engine, but the CHASSIS is burning hot. Can't wear shorts for crusing around the city.

HELP!! ... Anyone have problems starting their 636 engine COLD (as in letting it rest overnight). I have to REV up right after the engine starts, or else it will just die. :(

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
the fast idle lever on the left handlebar should fix the cold starting problems, turn that switch on until you get a temp reading on the gauges, then you can turn it off.

You should always let the bike get some temperature into it before you rid off. I never ride off until I see the temp come on the gauge, which is does at 40 degrees Celcius.

As for your temp hitting 215F(101 C) that is to be expected in traffic. These bikes rely on airflow to cool them, so when your not moving, or moving slowly, it will get up there. The fan should kick in right around 215 +/- 1 or 2 degrees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone experienced 215 degrees from the 636 engine after riding for 20-30 mins. I'm in NYC, the temperature is about 80-90. Also:(, when I start the engine COLD, it always stalls and must throttle right after starting. Any hints or help will be greatly appreciated. I'm stil learning this bike, used to have a Honda F4i and was trouble free of heat and COLD start. Kinda missed that darn Honda :(

/forum/uploads/soonster/zx6r-soon.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by soonster

It's not just the hot engine, but the CHASSIS is burning hot. Can't wear shorts for crusing around the city.

HELP!! ... Anyone have problems starting their 636 engine COLD (as in letting it rest overnight). I have to REV up right after the engine starts, or else it will just die. :(
I hope you joking about wearing shorts around the city [:M21]

You should take your bike back to the dealer and have them look at it. While your at it buy some textile pants and a textile jacket for cruising around the city. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, Triker, no disrespect but why are you always doggin on rookies.
You had to learn at some point.

If you butt itches, try wiping.:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by FITZ

Hey, Triker, no disrespect but why are you always doggin on rookies.
You had to learn at some point.

If you butt itches, try wiping.:D
and my friends dogged me.......... if I didn't care I wouldn't say anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
man!! dog all u want, but goes around comes around!:(

need to upgrade the pipe and frame sliders soon.
I have removed all the ugly stickers. Sorry, will post new pic when possible;).

/forum/uploads/soonster/zx6r-soon.jpg

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Like CDN said, use the choke lever for cold starts. Open it up full before starting, and when it sounds like it is almost misfiring or sputtering, back the choke off. Once the temp comes on on the cluster, you should be able to close it completely. I too never take off until the temp starts showing (104 F).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Fort Lauderdale and ride pretty much daily. My temp runs around 185-190 while riding... sometimes 200 (when riding hard). In traffic it's normal for me to see 205-220. At 220 my fan kicks on. It doesn't cool it much. I've never worn shorts on while riding, but my leg gets pretty damn hot after about 20mins!

As for starting the bike. Sometimes I experience problems in the morning. I have a routine that works for me... I never use the throttle. First, try to start your bike. My bike will usually fire up and then stall. I then choke the bike and restart it. It fires right up... No problem. I wait until I hear the bike rev high and then turn off the choke (usually around 3-5 seconds). I was told NEVER to leave the choke on for more than 15 seconds... tops! I ALWAYS wait until I see a reading on the temp gauge (usually 104 F) before I put the bike into gear.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in Texas and I thought my zx6rr might be getting a little hot in traffic, I read the manual and I may have misread but it said not worry about temp until it gets way on up there. I do not remember exactly at what temp, but it was way higher than I thought it would be. It was well over 220 or 230.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was out yesterday in about 95 degree weather and got stuck waiting for a draw bridge. It hit about 223 but that is the highest I have ever seen it....I never went past that either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, my bike gets pretty damn hot when I'm sitting in traffic for awhile, and it's above 85 degrees. My fan never kicks in until the temp hits 220, which it does often when I'm not moving fast. I wouldn't wear shorts, my right leg starts heating up if I don't have boots on, so I can't imagine the heat if you're wearing shorts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.