Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been posting here for a bit, but never really posted a formal infro. I'm based in Allentown, PA and own a publishing company and work as a mechanic at a local motorcycle shop called Full Throttle Customs.

After being a Yamaha faithful for years, I bought the 06 ZZR after putting some miles on my buddy's 00 ZX6. It's an amazingly capable bike that will comfortably do a 1000 mile weekend as a sport tourer and still hold its own on the track.

My upgrades include:

Two Brothers titanium bolt on
K&N Filter
Haris adjustable rearsets
Black powdercoated shark guards
GPR stabilizer
Zero Gravity double bubble
Galfer wave rotors
EBC HH pads
Goodridge SS brake lines
Pyramid rear cowl
Dynojet jet kit
Michelin Pilot Powers

Here's my 06 ZZR on the track at Summit Point.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome:D Good shots of you on the track.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Pilot Powers. Huge upgrade from the Dunslops that came on it ... I gave them the boot after about 800 street miles because they just aren't up to the task. I've run the Pirelli Diablo Corsas before and, in my opinion, the only real choices out there for both track and street use are the Pilot Powers or the Conti Road Attacks. Both have a pretty aggressive profile, lots of grip and stability to match. I never felt comfortable pushing it on the D208s or the Corsas. I will add that I haven't tried out the new Dunlop Qualifiers. They are supposed to be on par with the Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When running your Pilot Powers for street use, what air pressure do you run in front and rear tires?

·
Registered
38 Posts
my friend, also an avid Yamaha guy, has that exact same helmet. So seeing that looks like he's riding my bike. Kinda funny since he recently asked me if he could take my bike to the track since the track near here is a smaller track.
anyways, good pictures. How'd you get them? Was the track situated so someone could shoot you from a bleacher area around that corner? I can't imagine them allowing you into the track area to take pics would they?

bret

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by metricdevil
The Pilot Powers. Huge upgrade from the Dunslops that came on it ... I gave them the boot after about 800 street miles because they just aren't up to the task. I've run the Pirelli Diablo Corsas before and, in my opinion, the only real choices out there for both track and street use are the Pilot Powers or the Conti Road Attacks. Both have a pretty aggressive profile, lots of grip and stability to match. I never felt comfortable pushing it on the D208s or the Corsas. I will add that I haven't tried out the new Dunlop Qualifiers. They are supposed to be on par with the Pilot Powers.
I run the new avon viper ss on my street bike (they are pretty impressive). I run the pilot race on my track bike.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by D_Wayne
When running your Pilot Powers for street use, what air pressure do you run in front and rear tires?
36 in the front and 38 in the rear on the street. On the track, 28 in the front and 30 in the rear.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by alien236
my friend, also an avid Yamaha guy, has that exact same helmet. So seeing that looks like he's riding my bike. Kinda funny since he recently asked me if he could take my bike to the track since the track near here is a smaller track.
anyways, good pictures. How'd you get them? Was the track situated so someone could shoot you from a bleacher area around that corner? I can't imagine them allowing you into the track area to take pics would they?

bret
I like the Arai. The Quantum II fit my round head the best. But, to be honest, it's not $300 nicer than the Scorpion EX700 I use for street riding. It's a bit lighter, but that's about it. Eh, I don't regret it, but I'm not 100% either.

There's a company called Race Day Photo that follows TPM around to track days. They set up their photographers in different turns and then sell then at a kiosk. It's a bit pricey, but really the only way you can get shots like that. They give you the option of buying a CD of all the shots of you at the track or you can just buy prints there. I had some good ones with my knee down at Summit, so I sprung for the CD.

However, we usually have someone on video and photo duty when we hit the track. You can't get quite as close as the Race Day Photo guys, but you can get good shots if you have a decent telephoto lens.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by jhendrix

I run the new avon viper ss on my street bike (they are pretty impressive). I run the pilot race on my track bike.
I heard good things about the Avons as well. Heard they handle a lot like the Metzelers. I just like the profile of the Pilot Powers a bit more. Help me get over easier, and when I'm running against 1000s, I'll take all the help I can get.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by futurgen55
Where at in Allentown? I'm originally from Catasauqua and my buddy's dad owns A&S Installations off of Union Blvd.
Right in center city. I own a house on 14th and Liberty. I've been to A&S before ... over on Union. How long ago did you move?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Originally posted by metricdevil

I like the Arai. The Quantum II fit my round head the best. But, to be honest, it's not $300 nicer than the Scorpion EX700 I use for street riding. It's a bit lighter, but that's about it. Eh, I don't regret it, but I'm not 100% either.

There's a company called Race Day Photo that follows TPM around to track days. They set up their photographers in different turns and then sell then at a kiosk. It's a bit pricey, but really the only way you can get shots like that. They give you the option of buying a CD of all the shots of you at the track or you can just buy prints there. I had some good ones with my knee down at Summit, so I sprung for the CD.

However, we usually have someone on video and photo duty when we hit the track. You can't get quite as close as the Race Day Photo guys, but you can get good shots if you have a decent telephoto lens.
Man, I can totally relate. My previous helmet was an Arai Signet GT. It was getting old so I decided to purchase another helmet. Anyway, my wife put me on a budget so I bought a Scopion EXO400 and I love it! For 160.00 it is well worth it. It feels almost on par with the Arai. I did notice a weight difference and I also miss the lower chin bar that came on the Arai.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by kawboyrider
Man, I can totally relate. My previous helmet was an Arai Signet GT. It was getting old so I decided to purchase another helmet. Anyway, my wife put me on a budget so I bought a Scopion EXO400 and I love it! For 160.00 it is well worth it. It feels almost on par with the Arai. I did notice a weight difference and I also miss the lower chin bar that came on the Arai.
Check this out. Slips right in and actually blocks more wind than the Arai one.

http://scorpionusa.com/products/aeroskirt.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven't been back there for more than a few months since 2000. I left to go to school in Daytona Beach, and got a job out of school in Huntsville, AL.

·
Registered
181 Posts

i actually have the qualifiers on my zzr6..n ill have to say they are pritty damn good...a thousand times beter than them "Dunslops"(i hate those with a pasion!!.front tire sliped out from onder me and made me lowside comen around a corner on the street)they work great in the hills and street.!!.[:M31]...cant say nething bout the track yet..never been there...yet...finding it kinda hard to save up the money..[V]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.