Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I would like to share with you all my rebuild of my 2009 Ninja 650R. First of all I bought this bike about 4 years ago. It had 16,000 miles on it when I purchased it for $2,300. It ran perfectly,needed a few cosmetic touch ups, and tires. In the 4 years I have owned it, I’ve put 24,000
miles on it. The only thing I’ve had to fix was replacing the stator and rectifier last year. I’m pretty ridiculous about maintenance, changing oil every 3,000 miles. I use Motul 4T 7100 and a K&N 303 filter every time. My thought process is I feel I got a well taken care of machine that runs flawlessly so I’m vigilant on the upkeep. Here is a pic of my son on it the day I bought it.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Well…. This all changed on October 10 of 2021. I went for a ride on route 380 and hit a deer going about 65-70 mph. I was knocked unconscious on impact. The last thing I remember is seeing the deer out of the corner of my eye. I remember nothing of the impact as I woke up in the ambulance. I had sever road rash on my shoulders and knees. I surprisingly didn’t break any bones. I’m sure this is because I was asleep and loose. Here’s some pics of the aftermath. The forks snapped,
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wheel

fairings destroyed, radiator crushed, and cracked stator cover. Unbelievably not one scratch on tank and the frame is not bent at all. Well it’s a little over a month later and I’m starting the process of rebuilding. Let me just say, I’ve done most of my research on this very forum. This forum is a great resource. So without further ado….. A friend of mine had a set of forks and tree from a 2005 zx6R.
Motor vehicle Floor Wood Gas Bandsaws

So we decided to upgrade the front suspension. The forks fit perfectly with no modifications. Plug and play if you will. This swap is not without some modifications to other parts though. The ZX6R
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Automotive exterior

Uses a 25mm axle. The 650R uses a 20 mm axle. The options were … get the 650 wheel milled to fit bigger bearings, use smaller bearings with 25mm ID, buy a Zx6r wheel, make a 20 mm axle work. My friend is very versed in fabrication so we decided to make the 20 mm axle work. To do this we needed

2-stock 650R front wheel spacer
2- stock ZX6R front wheel spacers
1-stock Ninja 650 axle
1-stock Zx6r axle
2-stainless steel stepped weld bungs size M20 x 1.5

Here is a link to video on my YouTube channel (NINJAFIXXER09) of the process of the axle mod
Bicycle part Font Automotive exhaust Nickel Cylinder

The next hurdle to jump was the steering. I wanted to keep the upright riding position. I toyed around the idea of the Woodcraft clip ons with 3 inch risers, cocks stunt parts risers, and countless others. All of which are very expensive, and didn’t really give me the correct height I wanted. I wasn’t really going for the ”stunt” look. I also want to install full fairings. The top clamp of the ZX6R was already
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Camera accessory Camera lens Auto part

drilled for stunt risers. So not wanting to spend any money I drilled the holes bigger to accept a set of Mika Metals risers with rubber cones. This seemed strong enough, but with the metal only being about 3/16 thick I did not trust it.
Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Auto part Wood stain

So after searching the forum for answers for what top clamp with integrated risers would work I came up with a 2003-2006 Z1000 triple tree. I originally thought you could use the Z1000 top clamp with the ZX6R bottom. You cannot because the offset is slightly different. I sourced a 2003 Z1000 complete triple tree on eBay and swapped it out. This also worked out great because the steering stem, neck bearings are identical to the 650R. So here is a pic of where I’m at now. I still need to
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

source some front calipers And figure out what handlebars to use. I found a deal on eBay on an excellent condition OEM radiator and a used stator cover. I’m sure the biggest hurdle is going to be finding decently priced fairings. The used ones I’ve seen are thrashed and still expensive. The new kits on eBay are outrageously priced also. So now I just want to thank this forum for all the information I’ve researched on here. And if anyone wants to check out my YouTube channel I’m doing a whole series on this rebuild at NINJAFIXXER09 on YouTube.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
364 Posts
Wow.... This post was an emotional roller coaster.... I went from, "nice bike" to "oh sh*t, the forks are in 2 pieces!!!" "maybe if you bought it at 2300 it's not worth rebuilding" "oh wow you got lucky with the tank and frame" to "Wow nice job rebuilding"

For fairings for that bike I'd recommend you check out MonsterFairings, good quality "made to order" painted fairings, they are way higher quality than chinese for like a $100 more. But even if you go down the chinese fairing route, they are good enough, I'd get primed ones and get them painted properly instead of having them paint it for you as their paint quality is not BAD but not the best either.

Best of luck with the rest of the rebuild! (y) (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.... This post was an emotional roller coaster.... I went from, "nice bike" to "oh sh*t, the forks are in 2 pieces!!!" "maybe if you bought it at 2300 it's not worth rebuilding" "oh wow you got lucky with the tank and frame" to "Wow nice job rebuilding"

For fairings for that bike I'd recommend you check out MonsterFairings, good quality "made to order" painted fairings, they are way higher quality than chinese for like a $100 more. But even if you go down the chinese fairing route, they are good enough, I'd get primed ones and get them painted properly instead of having them paint it for you as their paint quality is not BAD but not the best either.

Best of luck with the rest of the rebuild! (y) (y)
Thanks for the reply, You are absolutely right it has been an emotional roller coaster lol I was about to trash it but when I was able to go look at it after the crash, I hit the start button and it fired right up. I couldn’t bear to let her die

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most if not all jap bikes have 108mm calliper bolt spacing so yep they should bolt up. You might need some spacers depending on disc size fork leg and caliper combo. They’re just washers basically though
Thanks for the reply… I’m using the stock wheel from the 650 so I believe the rotor is 300 mm. The thing that’s worrying me is the rotor size on the 06-07 CBR1000RR IS 320 mm. Also been checking out the threads on your bike. Excellent work looks like a beast! I wish my frame had the brackets so I could use ER6N fairings on it. It would most definitely be cheaper for me .

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the reply… I’m using the stock wheel from the 650 so I believe the rotor is 300 mm. The thing that’s worrying me is the rotor size on the 06-07 CBR1000RR IS 320 mm. Also been checking out the threads on your bike. Excellent work looks like a beast! I wish my frame had the brackets so I could use ER6N fairings on it. It would most definitely be cheaper for me .
I doubt the 636 fork legs will be set for 320mm which A GOOD THING.
The callipers are all made pretty much the same it’s the fork legs they mount to that vary
This means that your combination will just need some spacers. If it were the other way around yes you may need to rethink. You might find that the combo is spot on ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I doubt the 636 fork legs will be set for 320mm which A GOOD THING.
The callipers are all made pretty much the same it’s the fork legs they mount to that vary
This means that your combination will just need some spacers. If it were the other way around yes you may need to rethink. You might find that the combo is spot on ;)
Got the calipers today…..I need 15 mm spacers to make them work. The problem is we thought the forks we were using were 05-06 636… turns out they are 03-04 different length caliper legs! So options are 280 mm rotors or 15 mm spacers .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the calipers today…..I need 15 mm spacers to make them work. The problem is we thought the forks we were using were 05-06 636… turns out they are 03-04 different length caliper legs! So options are 280 mm rotors or 15 mm spacers .
Mocked it up with 15 mm of nylon washers until I can get good ones
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part Alloy wheel

I thought it might be the case. What length bolts you need?
62.2 mm plus the extra 15 mm

Car alarm Automotive lighting Automotive tire Collar Audio equipment

1 - 20 of 29 Posts