Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal, I have a 93 zx600c , and when it is cold it starts right up but immediatly idles over 5k and sometimes more. I can twist the throttle but it doesn't seem to do much, anyway the gas tank has been took off and I am using a make shift tank because the old tank has rust and i am getting it cleaned and coated. So anyway after it runs for only a minute it gets hot as hell and then shuts off "does this sound like to lean?" Is there an adjustment on the carbs to richen them? But after it dies when hot it will not start back, and you have to let it cool before you start it again and then the same problem will occur.. please help me on this, the guy that had it before me claims he just cleaned the carbs, which if there is an adjustment on the fuel amount comming in would explain the hot and the idling high because if it is running lean it will do that right? Also the temp gauge only shows normal temp it don't go to the red, i am confused. please help...

·
Registered
316 Posts
First thing I would check is that the idle is set correctly. There is a small turnscrew under the seat on the left side, near the fuel tank valve. I would start up the bike, and turn the turnscrew to see if you can get the idle down. Also, check the choke, make sure that the cable is intact and running smoothly.Make sure the choke is off (fully pushed in) I have never experience what you describe, but those would be the first two things I would check.

Also might want to verify that he wasnt selling the bike cause he screwed up the carbs while "cleaning" them.
Did the bike ever run right?

Oh, and 5000 RPM's is very high. Should be more like 1000-1250. I am not surprised it is overheating. I would try not to let that happen, not great for the bike.

Oh, and change your oil and filter too. I am sure the bike neads it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i am going to try all that, now here is another question what is a pilot jet? I mean i pulled it out and there is a hole in the center it looks like but can't get no air through it and i have tryed sticking little sharp objects in the hole and nothing., I would love to know what this jet does...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
apparently no one else has had this issue, I am going to end it in this, The pilot jets on all carbs are fully stopped up and I guess cemented because i can't see no light through them and can't clean them or stick a small wire through it either, I am guessing this could be some of my problem thanks i will post as i go through and learn more and if this fixes the problem I will let you know

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D:D[8D] Well people, I have took the carbs apart one at a time, and took the main jet and jet sleeve out, wow there was just all in the spots where they mount and all over the jackets I sanded the jackets really lightly to clean all the cud off, holding it up to light to make sure that all the holes are clean and clear, I took a qtip to the inside and cleaned them. I guess I will have to just replace my pilot jets because i can't get anything to penetrate that small hole in it. :( anyway thanks.. I will post once I get my gas tank back i am having it cleaned with acid and having a liner put in it. I also have cleaned the petcock and it is working now, I am sure it will be fine... If I can get it to work this season then in the winter I will take apart and stuff rags in the intake boots so no weather gets in it and have the carb bodies dipped in cleaner..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.