Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 99'6r and I love er to pieces...Sadly for this season its going to have to rough it out with the weather because I dont have a place to park it except on the street where I live. It kills me to see it sitting in the rain :(, I figured that if its going to sit out there I would ask what is the best way to make this not such a bad situation. I dont want it to be in bad shape because of the weather so any suggestions on how to lessen the wear until winter storage??

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
buy a motorcycle cover that speacilizes in rain protection. there are some just for dust or dirt. those dont hold up at all. they cost around $25-$50.

also dont buy them from a auto store, they are alot cheaper online.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will the cover be enough to cover the chain or are there different options in terms of lengths as well?

·
Registered
178 Posts
A cover is a good suggestion no matter the weather. It really helps as an anti-theft device too. Get one that locks at the bottom and even if you want a cheap alarm with motion detection. I keeps the bike more hidden from theives and with the lock harder to see things like if it has an alarm turned on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Definetely buy a good cover. You can get a cover that will go all the way to the ground, so the only thing visible, is the bottom of the kickstand, and the very bottom of your tires. I live in an apartment building, and I never leave my bike uncovered, unless the pipe is hot. Then I wait for it to cool down, and cover it. Make sure you get one with the little "V" vent at the top. That way, whatever moisture gets inside, will be able to get out.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
some materials are breathable, so if moisture does get through it will evaporate quickly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My bike is left in the open area most of the time. I have a cover that is breathable. I think that should be enough and you might just have to clean and lube the chain more often.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by Pyro

Definetely buy a good cover. You can get a cover that will go all the way to the ground, so the only thing visible, is the bottom of the kickstand, and the very bottom of your tires. I live in an apartment building, and I never leave my bike uncovered, unless the pipe is hot. Then I wait for it to cool down, and cover it. Make sure you get one with the little "V" vent at the top. That way, whatever moisture gets inside, will be able to get out.
Pyro is right I had a cheap cover on my last bike and the wind caused the inside of the cover to buff up the paint on the sharp edges of the bike.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dowco makes an excellent cover. My bikes have always been parked outside (I don't have a garage either). Dowco's covers are truly water proof. And like someone mentioned, they have a vent at the top which allows any moisture inside to escape, while preventing water from getting in. It also has grommets at the bottom which allow you to tie and close the cover to prevent it from being removed (by someone or wind etc...). I got mine from the dealer for around 70 bucks. You may find it for less.

One important thing to consider is to always keep your bike relatively clean. Otherwise, if there is a lot of debris either inside the cover or on your bike, the bike may be more likely to get scratched up when the cover flaps in the wind.

inca jones

·
Registered
185 Posts
thats what I a dowco cover. They also make a cover that has some aluminium type foil near the bottom of the cover that allows you to put the cover over the bike when it is hot. I got mine from ridegear.com

Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just park it in your living room!!!! Hate to see it outside, you can probablly hide it somewhere, ( behind a big tv, porch, or dining room) hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.