Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before I tell my story I'll just get this out of the way so you guys dont have to.[:Squid]

Now that thats over with, there is one road in town that I ride 5 to 7 days a week. Its the only twisties around and runs through the national forest. There is very little traffic (maybe 5-6 cars in 20 miles) and only a small handfull of homes. Because its the only road with decent twisties i ride it pretty hard because everywhere else is only worthy of a casual cruise. Anyway last night I went out and the bike was spot on riding better than EVER before so i was feeling great and really having fun.[:p] I always ride the entire road around the speed limit for the first pass, to check road conditions and for cops. everything was going my way. so on the way back i decided to push it has hard as i can. I was taking it with my speedo not dropping past 98 (most of the curves are 30 to 40mph):D i started to come up to a "s" curve which was 30mph so i glanced at my speedo it read 112. in my approach i dropped from 6 to 5 and apparantly pissed her off. Im starting my lean and am about 100 feet from the entrance of the turn and the bike shut off. (i think) when i down shifted everything went quiet, no revs no kind of engine noise at all and i knew this was going to end bad. then all of a sudden i hear a flapping noise like the chain was off[:0] so i start to stand the bike up and try to slow down before the apex. as soon as i stood it up it caught and revs shot up to redline, the rear caught and tried to highside me. [:M23]some how i made it out and flipped the bike back into the turn and made it through still over 80mph. that shit happened so fast i couldnt slow down much and if i had not recovered i would have either gone straight into the forest at over 80 or highsided. needless to say i drove all the way home UNDER the speed limit and locked her ass in the garage.

My question for you guys is why did this happen? i thought the chain came off, but how could it put its self back on? then i thought i was between gears but ive been between gears before and it was not like this, never felt like the bike was dead before. so then i was thinking tranny or maybe my lean angle was enough to engage the tip over switch. i did check my chain and it is a little loose but i doubt enough to slip off and on at will. what do you guys think? any other similar situations?

·
Registered
167 Posts
did you do any mods to it like power commander? i read a post that sometimes the bike would cut out. i think it was a bad connection or bad power commander, if you have one. if not i would just check connections around ecu, engine and battery. maybe search and see if anyone else had that problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like you locked your rear braking so hard and the quietness? You holding in the clutch and then when the bike suddenly redlined, thats when you let go. No offense, but shit happens so quick you don't realize what all your extremities are doing. A sure sign of this is when you said 'the rear caught and tried to highside me'. Just my 2 cents...as I've never heard of a bike 'cancelling out' all of a sudden and then 'kicking back in'.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by zeuseason
Sounds like you locked your rear braking so hard and the quietness? You holding in the clutch and then when the bike suddenly redlined, thats when you let go. No offense, but shit happens so quick you don't realize what all your extremities are doing. A sure sign of this is when you said 'the rear caught and tried to highside me'. Just my 2 cents...as I've never heard of a bike 'cancelling out' all of a sudden and then 'kicking back in'.
didnt use the rear brake, i was downshifting to let the engine do the braking for me. i didnt hold the clutch if i had i would have heard it redline, but it was quiet. apreciate the thought though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by usmc636

didnt use the rear brake, i was downshifting to let the engine do the braking for me. i didnt hold the clutch if i had i would have heard it redline, but it was quiet. apreciate the thought though.
You wouldn't have heard it redline if you didn't give it any gas with the clutch in (common corner entry setup), and would have heard it w/o gas but dropping it into a lower gear clutch out....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I take that back -

It's possible that you were braking so hard with the front that the rear was off the ground and with no rear contact, with clutch out there wouldn't be any resistance on the ground back-torquing the engine so no engine noise...this would also explain why the rear 'caught and almost highsided' you meanign the rear was off the ground and hopped out on ya.

Best way to check if the rear locked is if there was a skid mark.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So you let the clutch out after downshifting, and the tire didn't slide, and the engine revs dropped? How many hard miles does it have on it? Could it be a worn out (or wearing out) clutch or slipper clutch?

I doubt it would be the chain - if it were really loose in that situation it would've probably slipped on the teeth, and you would've know what that was. Or if it did come off, it would take some angels or fairies to have it jump back on.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
these bikes sometimes stall when going from hi revs to a quick decel+clutch in. maybe you bike did cut out but when you let the clutch out it engaged your engine and started it back up. it's happend to me under hard braking for a stop

G

·
why were u riding twisties in 6th gear??

i doubt it was the lean angle. i had to lean so much one time b/c i took a turn a tad too quick. scraped the shifter rod, but bike remained running.

im thinking tranny

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
these bikes sometimes stall when going from hi revs to a quick decel+clutch in. maybe you bike did cut out but when you let the clutch out it engaged your engine and started it back up. it's happend to me under hard braking for a stop
That same kinda thing happened to me the other day, I stopped real fast and the bike stalled. I thought it was because I forgot to pull in the clutch before the revs got too low, but your saying it happens with the clutch in? I can't remember whether I had mine in or out. Interesting...this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
^there's a whole thread on it somewhere

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE

That same kinda thing happened to me the other day, I stopped real fast and the bike stalled. I thought it was because I forgot to pull in the clutch before the revs got too low, but your saying it happens with the clutch in? I can't remember whether I had mine in or out. Interesting...this happen to anyone else?
yeah the other day I was riding some mountains out here, came to a straight section, went to pull over for some water and my bike just shut off when I was in first gear. I'm thinking my clutch wasn't pulled in 100% and at low revs it just shut off.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's possible to bog the engine down and it'll freeze but at low gears going slow. I'll leave the bike in 6th down to about 20mph all the time when coming to stop w/o any bogging down. I do this cause it reduces the gear clunk when down shifting to low gears goign slowly. Cruising the speed this guy was, I think it'd be impossible to bog the engine to a stall.

Also, if the engine stopped rotating (stalling like you guys are posting), the drivetrain would stop as well with the bike in gear and this would lock up the rear potentially throwing you over the front. Loss of throttle response or power would be different and the engine would still be running but with no gas being given to it. That sounds like a short or a pc blip if you have one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i think your problem was that you where in 6th gear making a turn . this happened to me on my bike i was on the highway in 6th gear going 95 and i had to slow down . i broke hard went 5th and went down to 50 and it stalled. i held the clutch in and turned back on no problem. i asked the reapir shop and they said if you are on a high gear and you break hard and dont shift in time you can stall it . either that or you hit the cutt of switch with your hand without realizing it.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
guys you're all missing the obvious - usmc was cheating on his bike with another bike so the bitch tried to kill him as payback :D:D:D

seriously i have no idea....glad to hear you made it back in one piece tho. i probably would have crapped my pants...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.