Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on the highway on my way home, its in the middle of the night 12:00 am. Its pitch dark out and as i get off the exit my lights go out I panic start applying the brakes and then realize that my bike all together is dead. I pull over on the side, turn the key and the gauges don't light up. I end up having to push the bike up hill through the exit, hoping no car hit me. Ended up having to push the bike 4 blocks down the st, to a safer place since i have to leave the bike there overnight. And while pushing it the bike starts tilting and i couldn't help but to lay it down cracking my brand new zero gravity double bubble windscreen.
Do you guys think it could be the battery? Though I mean I was still doing 30-40 mph when it died. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I am hoping its just the battery which would be an easy fix. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
get a multi meter and see what the voltage is. it should be 12.6 or more. 12.0 to 12.6 needs charge. 12.0 and below change battery

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I'm on the highway on my way home, its in the middle of the night 12:00 am. Its pitch dark out and as i get off the exit my lights go out I panic start applying the brakes and then realize that my bike all together is dead. I pull over on the side, turn the key and the gauges don't light up. I end up having to push the bike up hill through the exit, hoping no car hit me. Ended up having to push the bike 4 blocks down the st, to a safer place since i have to leave the bike there overnight. And while pushing it the bike starts tilting and i couldn't help but to lay it down cracking my brand new zero gravity double bubble windscreen.
Do you guys think it could be the battery? Though I mean I was still doing 30-40 mph when it died. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I am hoping its just the battery which would be an easy fix. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
That happen to me too. One of the wires grounded to the frame because it got too hot and burned. I would strip the whole bike down to see if any wires are exposed.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
ahhhhh the dreaded 'Pumpkin effect' struck again.. Happens.. around midnight, when the bike should be resting, it'll rest, no matter where you are. It's programmed in the ECU, there's a crack for it somewhere to push the time out to 12.15..

Else failing that, sounds like a loose terminal on the battery. If they're fine, then check the fuses. Sounds like a complete electrical failure to me. Battery is a good place to start, then check the wiring around the battery and loom, work outwards from there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well the same thing happened to me too except it was about 4 a/m and i had just let off the gas as i was hitting the off ramp and it all died. Tried to pop it while i still had a decent amount of speed going and nothing. Replaced the battery and fired right up, for about 2-3 starts then was dead again, not enough juice to crank over, i got it pop started and took it straight to the garage and replaced the Voltage Regulator ($130) and the stator ($160) and havent had a problem since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts