Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 ZX7 and that thing gets hotter than hell. When I'm driving through the city the engine temp gauge is two ticks from being in the red. Also when I ride the damn thing it will start burning my legs at highway speeds. Is this normal, and if not what should I do?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the 98 and I have the same problem
I check to see if somethings on fire every time. and its coming from both sides.
Hell that is what it feels like anyway

·
Registered
46 Posts
2 ticks from the red is not normal. Check coolant level and do a flush. You may have air in the system. Mine stays at the 1/4 mark and goes above 1/2 when sitting in traffic when it's hotter than hell out.:D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
my zxr400 (1994) goes to red when idle, but when I'm riding it stops at just 2/3

I guess it's the thermostat, but I don't know for sure. Still looking .. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2000 is the same. When I ride to the beach in shorts and I sit at a light, it feels like fire coming out of the vents. Temp goes up, get moving and it drops. I'm in south Florida.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
and I do not wear shorts on the ride either. Check the fans and flush the system. (I used distilled water only and never had an issue on the track.)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by Adazard
I have a 95 ZX7 and that thing gets hotter than hell. When I'm driving through the city the engine temp gauge is two ticks from being in the red. Also when I ride the damn thing it will start burning my legs at highway speeds. Is this normal, and if not what should I do?
Like this? [:eek:)]

I need to fix it [V]

·
Registered
273 Posts
Originally posted by Adazard
Hey man... its been 100+ degrees for how many days in a row now with next to no rain.. talk about suck in Dallas rush hour traffic...

As has been suggested already... flush the coolant. should help. mine will stay next to the 'C' as long as im moving.. even with keeping the rpm's around 10 the whole time. but as soon as that traffic hits... it climbs quick. as soon as i get my bike back together we'll have to go ridin...

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a 2000 zx7r that was overheating @ idle and shuts off when it gets way too hot. tried new stat. flush rad. nothing worked. but i noticed the exhaust header gets extremely hot, fan ran to the point of draining the battery. it also got unbelievable mileage compared to my friends zx7r and to my gixxer600. i figured twas runnning lean. so i re/re the fuel filter. bike runs mint now..what do you know....hope this helps...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Remember that all factory gauges, in cars and bikes etc, cannot be trusted with any degree of accuracy. They are not all calibrated the same. IE: 100 degrees on my bike may read 1/2 way up the temp gauge, but may only be 1/3 on your gauge, and 3/4 on Jim-Bob's gauage. The fan's relay doesn't run off of the gauge, it runs off of a temp sender that sends out a voltage signal, with a corresponding temperature = a certain voltage. Once the prest safety temp is reached, the sender reaches a certain voltage and switches the fan on. The gauge is just for the nut holding the handlebars.

However, having it go right into the red is a good indication that something int he cooling system is awry, especially if it hasn't always been like that. If you notice a change in the bike's cooling system behaviour, it is time to get it fixed before it becomes headgasket time or worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.