Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just got home from last season race and again ran into tyre failure. I was able to push quite hard for 4 laps and after that, drifting began. Fortunately one guy crashed and race was stopped :D (crash was hard but thank god he was okey). But anyway, I'm in trouble and don't know what to do. That's how the tyre looked after 4 laps (3.1km one lap):
Dunlop kr108 Ntec, 195/65, tyre pressure 1.5bar - way up from the pressuse Dunlop itself recommends
http://live.hot.ee/gallery/gallery/slideshow?id=761474&img_id=2543990

on the track, there's probably one corner that does that. It's a basically a U turn and after the corner, the acceleration is hard, entry speed is approx 60km/h and exit is full throttle with 2nd gear till 4th gear(in limiter), and bike is more or less leaned at this corner.

In WarmUp and Qualification, I used Bridgestone Medium 190/65 slick and it was totally okey, till 9nth lap, when it started to slip. Probably the tyre pressure was too low, but, the tyre was totally okey visually. No such thing as with Dunlop.

Any ideas why such thing happened with Dunlop? Can it be suspension issue? Too hard suspension? All the punch goes to the tyre? The bike I'm driving is 2008 ZX10R, rear suspension is replaced and Öhlins is used.

This season is over, but for next year I have to solve this problem. It's not normal, that 400EUR tyre lasts only for 4 laps :mad:

If anyone You have had or seen such issues, please let me know. All the ideas are welcome. Personally I think it's a suspension issue, as some other drivers were also using the same tyre and after 15 laps, their one was like brand new.

Best Regards
Priit

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
How cold was it and what compound did you have? Harder tires do not keep in heat if you dont ride it as hard as possible.

I've seen a bunch of wrecks at our trackday/ races because of cold slicks

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my experience with Dunlop brand tires I find that the tire compound that they have are quite soft. And if you set your suspension to its hardest setting it will eat the tire pretty fast. So I suggest to double check your suspension setting and tire pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts