Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider fyi.

I bought a used 2005 with 600km's on it. The guy only did two trips with it (which total 600km's), then garaged it for three years. When I bought it, it seemed to run fine with no problems at all.

But after playing with it for a while, I realized that there is a problem with the choke. This is kind of hard to explain, so bear with me here please! When I start the bike (choke open all the way, ie towards me), it revs really high, about 8000rpm. Then when I start to close the choke, the bike dies out. So I have been running it with the choke partially open. This causes problems for me while riding, because when I let out the clutch (slowly), the bike accelerates faster than it should, so it lurches forward uncontrollably.
If I wait for the bike to be 100% warmed up, (with the temp halfway to hot or more), I still need to have some choke.

I have adjusted the idle screw as far as it will go, and have managed to get it to idle at 1500rpms when warmed up. Although sometimes the needle will 'bounce' between 1700 and 1600.
So that is my first question, how do I fix that?
Now my other problem. During one of these lurches, I lost control of the bike and it tipped over on top of me, pinning my right leg under the exhaust. Thank god I was wearing racing pants! The damage to me is just a big bruise, but my right fairing is completely scratched up and cracked near the front. This sucks, but has now caused more problems...
After the drop, I can no longer get the bike into neutral! It is stuck in first gear. In order to get the bike to move around, I have to hold in the clutch and walk it. I have tried to get the bike started up again (while holding in the clutch and rolling down a hill), but to no avail. I was hoping that if I got it started I could shift it back to neutral, but I guess thats not going to happen.
So how do I get the bike back into neutral?
Oh, and when I dropped the bike blue smoke poured from the exhaust. Before the accident, the exhaust was clear, but it did smell a little (almost like dirty fuel/oil). Do you think the carbs need to be cleaned out?

I would bring the bike to the shop, but seeing as I can't get it started reliably, I am kinda stuck with a black hunk of metal/plastic in my garage...
Please help me out, I'm feeling really frustrated and stupid for even buying this bike

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If the bike was sitting for a while then the first thing you will want to do is go through the carbs and clean them thoroughly. It sounds like the jets may be gummed up which would cause the running issues you are describing.

As far going into neutral, usually if you push the shifter down a few times then lift up a little bit it should go into neutral.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the bike was sitting for a while then the first thing you will want to do is go through the carbs and clean them thoroughly. It sounds like the jets may be gummed up which would cause the running issues you are describing.
Do you have any links on how to do this?
I already dished out a fair amount to get this bike serviced and certified and don't have the money to go back to the shop for about another month.
I would say that I am 'handy', but haven't really worked with engines too too much. But I could probably figure it out if I do enough research haha...

And about the bike not going into neutral... let me just say that I am disappointed this wasn't in the owner's manual... There is a safety on the bike that you can't change gears with the kickstand down, and this includes going from first to neutral :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
and change the plugs.. and oil change....

Hell.. just do a once over on everything...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.