Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was unusual. mines is an 05 and i rode with a guy with an 06.. I wasked him if it was normal to only start in neutral.. Even if my kick stand is up and I pull in the clutch lever.. the bike will not start in gear..

is this normal.. or is there a sensor i should check.. it gets annoying at times while parking on a slope or having to slightly shift the bike into neutral just to start it..

TIA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like it isn't registering the clutch being pulled in. Are you pulling it all the way to the handlebar? I found I have to get it all the way in for it to start up in gear. I'm guessing there's a sensor that might need replacing

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
not sure it'd be the clutch switch, because you HAVE to pull the clutch in to start these bikes (to my knowledge anyhow)

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
not sure it'd be the clutch switch, because you HAVE to pull the clutch in to start these bikes (to my knowledge anyhow)
ONLY for starting them in gear.
they will start in nuetral, without the clutch being pulled.

its the clutch switch. im dealing with this same shit right now.

your is probably bad too ;)..has been for awhile now.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
ONLY for starting them in gear.
they will start in nuetral, without the clutch being pulled.

its the clutch switch. im dealing with this same shit right now.

your is probably bad too ;)..has been for awhile now.
yea mine only starts w/ the clutch in EVEN while in neutral, hmm.. oh well fuck it lol

·
Registered
10,037 Posts

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
wtf...in neutral too? that doesnt makes any sense...:confused:
yea, it doesn't really bother me though, gixxers are the same way so i was used to it, but my buddies 08 zx10 you can just push the button while in neutral & VRROOOOOOOOOM!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
mine stopped working when i replaced my levers with crg shorties.

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
yea, it doesn't really bother me though, gixxers are the same way so i was used to it, but my buddies 08 zx10 you can just push the button while in neutral & VRROOOOOOOOOM!
which is the way its supposed to be.

id say yours is STILL a problem with the clutch switch....has to be..altho, im not sure why/how....:confused:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where is the cutch switch located... I thought it was a kawi thing.. until I asked one of my ridding buddies with the same bike.. I only had this bike for less than 2 months..

yes I do pull the slutch all the way..

anything else this pike has issues they are known for I should know about?

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
underneath the perch off the clip on ;)

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
where is the cutch switch located... I thought it was a kawi thing.. until I asked one of my ridding buddies with the same bike.. I only had this bike for less than 2 months..

yes I do pull the slutch all the way..

anything else this pike has issues they are known for I should know about?
just under the lever. u can see the plug going to it.
if u loosen the lever, and spin it up, you can see it better.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OK guys this is for future reference.. I loosened the lever today and look at the switch.. I took the 2 screws that hold the switch..

so the switch is demounted.. I tested the wires to the switch.. it reads 12 volts when I press the start botton.. so I was getting power to the switch.

I plugged the switch up with it demounted.. it Started while in gear..

This tells me its the switch.. when I pull the lever it does not let the switch/spring extend enough to make a slidding connection..

The switch consist of a half inch plastic prong that sticks out. I guess when I pull the lever it does not let the prong stick out far enough..

Easy FIX: Slightly cut the tip of the grey prong/switch about 1mm or 2mm.. use a nail cutter.. or grind it down a bit using sand paper, or just rub it on cement a few strokes.. I mounted it back and its as good as new.. and it starts in gerar with the clutch lever pulled in.

IMO: just a slight defect from Kawisaki.. Its minor but unconvienient at times having to search for neutral to start the bike..

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Thats so funny that you made this thread.

My bike is the same way and I didnt want to make a thread cause I figured it was just somthing I did to the bike and no one will know whats wrong.

But thanks OP :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats so funny that you made this thread.

My bike is the same way and I didnt want to make a thread cause I figured it was just somthing I did to the bike and no one will know whats wrong.

But thanks OP :)
no problem.. I had help with many other hobbies from forums..

That is what they are for..

As for bypassing the clutch switch.. I am sure all you have to do is splice the 2 line wires that lead to the switch and connect them..

IMO.. it is a saftey feature.. you or some idiot may start it in gear and drop the bike.. so it serves it purpose.. if it does not then all the modern bikes would not have it.:p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts