Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out my cheap navi set up. A friend of mine sold me his Tomtom for $40 so I thought what the hell its a deal for a little potable one.

·
LOST HIS RIDE
926 Posts
I carry mine in the tank bag. Can't see it in the bright light anyway so just pull it out when i need it . They are nice to have when you take off down back roads

You may want to tie a leash to it for when the suction lets go

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I wonderered how long the suction will hold on tight? Going on some trips with it would be pretty cool. I dont thinks it Bluetooth but that would have been rad if it were. I also have a Bluetooth Chatterbox and that would have made an awesome combo.
Hooking up a leash may be mandatory.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey, if it can display your speed like my Garmin, then you have an accurate speedo to boot!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Check out my cheap navi set up. A friend of mine sold me his Tomtom for $40 so I thought what the hell its a deal for a little potable one.

Looks great.. if it can display speed, which it most likely can, you can just velco it straight against the speedometer or even rip out the speedo and install it flush inthere with some cutting...now you have speed display and GPS/map etc.... just pick up an extra set of gauge cluster off ebay and experiment and save your original one :)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
if you try to flush mount it with another gauge cluster, sell me yours!!! It looks good though...I've been looking for one with bluetooth or voice navigation and a headphone jack, but can't seem to find one that is not like $800

·
Registered
102 Posts
i did that too on my garmin. But i found that you can flex the wind screen a bit and mount it on there.

its not too hard to see during the day, but it blocks my turn signal indicator. So i cant tell if im still signalling like an asshole. hehehehe

·
Registered
586 Posts
i would like to buy one for 40 bucks, i only have a little hand held garmin and the map of my area sux, its a growing city and nothings been updated on maps

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks great.. if it can display speed, which it most likely can, you can just velco it straight against the speedometer or even rip out the speedo and install it flush inthere with some cutting...now you have speed display and GPS/map etc.... just pick up an extra set of gauge cluster off ebay and experiment and save your original one :)
Would Be interesting to see one installed flush into the dash, Good idea!:D

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
I'm another one who uses one in the clear top of my tank bag... keeps it dry, too...

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to see on bright days, esp. on battery power when the backlighting dims.

The ultimate "plan" is to add a cordless radar detector, then use a multiplexer that will integrate my MP3 player, phone, detector and GPS audio signals. There are mpxrs out there that have "priority" inputs... so, for example I could be listening to my tunes, and if the GPS or radar detector makes a sound, it would cut the music and that signal would come through my helmet's speakers.

The detector is around $320, and the mpxr is (I think) $179... so this is NOT a priority for me... and the nest of wires would be... interesting, LOL. I'd probably custom make a bunch of 12" jumpers for all that stuff to keep the spaghetti-factory in check.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are those things waterproof??

I've seen some moto specific units, but they are around $300-400 I believe.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Are those things waterproof??

I've seen some moto specific units, but they are around $300-400 I believe.
Most are not, but in the clear tankbag section they stay reasonably dry... in a zip-loc bag they're even better protected.

whats the point of the detector, by the time u read theres a cop ur already caught if ur haulin on ur zx9
Not true at all. Typically, for a cop to get a useable radar RETURN, a quality detector can (under ideal conditions) pick up the signal at more than TWICE that distance. That's because the radar signal has to travel from the radar gun to the target (me) and then BACK to the radar gun's receiver.

There's some loss from the reflection and from atmospherics, but let's ignore those for now, since they work in my favor...

In other terms, for the signal to get to me, and back to the radar gun, it will have to travel twice the "useable reflection" distance... so if we call the radar gun location "0X", and the detectable reflection distance "X", there's still signal travelling out to "2X". In that area (X to 2X) the signal is strong enough to detect and trigger my unit, but NOT strong enough to reflect back to 0 in a useable strength. Keep in mind a bike is a pretty small reflector, which also helps me.

Typically (again, depending on conditions), that means I can (and typically DO, in my Passport 8500 equipped truck) detect a mile or so before I am reflecting a strong enough signal for him to clock me. The Solo 2 cordless is only slightly less sensitive, so I'd have to be travelling well into triple digit speesd and reacting slowly if I couldn't brake to legal speeds within that mile... And I don't usually ride over 95...

Any questions? :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
granted but u do know cops r using a pop radar now, my cousins a cop and was showing me all there crap they use, they click it on as soon as the see u in range and just sends a "pop" out, that and laser, by the time u pick that up ur screwed, i was testing my radar detector and scrambler with my cousin police car stuff, but on my bike i only go 5 to 10 over unless on the highway because of that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts