Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my parents were leaving today to go out to dinner and I see my mother getting out of the car and go around the back so I looked out the window and there was my bike on it's side. My father was backing out of the driveway and didn't see my bike and hit it and kept going for a little bit.

My heart dropped and ran outside and started flipping out. I knew it wasn't his fault but I was still pissed.

I then lifted the bike and immediately noticed that the left plastics were all scratched including the front left blinker. I then noticed that the tail was really bad, as there is a very big crack in it and rashed as well. I then get on it to see if the bars were bent and it seemed like they are, and the clutch lever is all screwed up as well. The left mirror has very little glass still on it as it cracked when it went down. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I then choked it and still didn't start and finally got it to start giving it a little gas. It revved all the way up to 10k it was crazy. I get on it to drive it to the shed in the backyard since I couldn't ride it and noticed my right foot wasn't finding the peg. I then looked down and the whole right peg is hanging off with the break lever and all.

I am very upset and depressed since I have to miss probably months of riding because of this. How much do you guys think this is going to cost? I only paid 3k for the bike and it was practically brand new with 84 miles on it 2010. We are going to go through my fathers insurance.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? How much were the damages? Are they usually more expensive or less expensive than they look?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That would be a godsend since you can avoid the wait-times in the service shop and try to find a replacement. Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Think I could buy the bike back for cheap if they did write it off?
Probably not. Buy back on the bike is usually around 50% of the value. Apparently high salvage rates makes it less worth while then just finding another bike.
My ex500 was valued at 3400 by the ins when it got wrecked and they offered it back to me at 1700. Wish I would have just taken the cash in hindsight

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
So my parents were leaving today to go out to dinner and I see my mother getting out of the car and go around the back so I looked out the window and there was my bike on it's side. My father was backing out of the driveway and didn't see my bike and hit it and kept going for a little bit.

My heart dropped and ran outside and started flipping out. I knew it wasn't his fault but I was still pissed.

I then lifted the bike and immediately noticed that the left plastics were all scratched including the front left blinker. I then noticed that the tail was really bad, as there is a very big crack in it and rashed as well. I then get on it to see if the bars were bent and it seemed like they are, and the clutch lever is all screwed up as well. The left mirror has very little glass still on it as it cracked when it went down. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I then choked it and still didn't start and finally got it to start giving it a little gas. It revved all the way up to 10k it was crazy. I get on it to drive it to the shed in the backyard since I couldn't ride it and noticed my right foot wasn't finding the peg. I then looked down and the whole right peg is hanging off with the break lever and all.

I am very upset and depressed since I have to miss probably months of riding because of this. How much do you guys think this is going to cost? I only paid 3k for the bike and it was practically brand new with 84 miles on it 2010. We are going to go through my fathers insurance.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? How much were the damages? Are they usually more expensive or less expensive than they look?
how was it not his fault?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
That really sucks, man. There's no excuse for this. It's not like you ride a little moped that cannot be seen if you look out the back glass of a car. He didn't look behind him, which is why you're without a ride now.

I'm sure things will work out, but I too would be pissed. Looking begin you is the first and most important thing to do when going in reverse. It's driving 101. Good luck with everything.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Sucks bro. Hope you've learned to never park behind a vehicle no matter if its on cinder blocks.
^^ This

Sorry man I know it sucks but Rangerscott is right

Never trust anyone, that means never park behind anyone in a driveway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking begin you is the first and most important thing to do when going in reverse. It's driving 101.
No kidding. My girlfriend is an ER nurse. Just yesterday, they ran a code on a one year old who had been run over by a truck at a family gathering. Apparently someone went to move the truck, and when they backed up they didn't look to see what was behind it. Imagine the guilt that guy is going to carry with him for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I called the insurance company and put in the claim today. I have full coverage, so I'm wondering what is going to happen. They said an adjuster should be calling me tomorrow and I'm not quite sure what he is going to do.

Anyone have experience with this? I would just like to get a little familiar with the process so I know what to expect.

Also, will my insurance go up for a non moving violation? It shouldn't but I don't know what others have experienced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it isn't reported on your insurance then you shouldn't have any problems. Your dad is the one looking at higher rates because you're reporting it on his insurance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That sucks dude, just remember that no matter what they are your parents and have done a lot more for you, deff priceless IMO. At the very least you prob have destroyed enough of their stuff to be even.

Hopefully ins covers it all and it's not too hard on your dads pocket.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sucks dude, just remember that no matter what they are your parents and have done a lot more for you, deff priceless IMO. At the very least you prob have destroyed enough of their stuff to be even.

Hopefully ins covers it all and it's not too hard on your dads pocket.
Absolutely. This is why I wasn't upset with them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Absolutely. This is why I wasn't upset with them.
What's crazy is sometimes I see people talk/treat their parents like a regular person when it comes to favor, money or anything else that would require some effort in their part, always expecting something back. SOME people just don't relize that you practically owe everything to them (not in all cases, some are bad parents).

Enough about that though, I wonder if you can take anything off before the ins looks at it and maybe sale it on eBay.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put my first 2010 250r bike on its side... scraped/cracked fairing, bent brake lever, bent gas handle bar, broken turn signal, cracked rear set...
Insurance claimed it a total loss. They paid for the new one.

I bought the totaled one for 850... I spent like 300 on parts to fix it (not including fairing, since it's the most expensive part), I spent about $300 and a lot of time/waiting to get all the paper work back and forth from the DMV... after 4 months, I'm finally getting the new Salvaged title within the next week or so.

So yeah... It's a pain in the ass to deal with getting a Salvaged title. Will it be worth it ? Yes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts