Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guy's, thought i'd share the tear jerker going down at the compound of "warbuk"

first off, this is my angel, this pic was after foot surgery

she is 17 years old. i've had her for 14 awesome years! she was rescued by my ex wifes aunt from an abusive owner over in georgia. she had been beaten and shot in the face with a shotgun.

still to this day, she does not like tall men unless she knows them and even then, you better watch your step.

it was only 2 years ago that i actually got her to stand beside me while i had a hosepipe in my hand lol. i figure she got beat with one.

anyway, she's my oldest girl and is not doing well. she has started loosing her muscle mass over the last 2 weeks, not eating regular, stomach has swollen over the last 3 days, labored breathing.

vet said today, congestive heart failure. fucknA. got some meds to take the fluid off and some stuff that may "perk" her heart up.

i know her time is short, could be in days but i figured hell, i'll give her the meds, let family have time to come over, let me have special time with her.

btw, she shows no pain, she's a tuff gal. thats what makes it hard.

on the ride today she was a happy camper, she loves to ride. i don't take her riding no more cause she can't jump in the truck and it seems to hurt her when i pick her up lately.

angel seems to have been god sent to me and my boys. she has been the best dog i ever had the pleasure of sharing time with. never left the yard (except one storm, cost me $500) has always been faithfull, protective. if i leave my bike outside over night, she sleeps beside it. i can leave a building door open all night, she sleeps in front of it, even in the rain. you would not get by her.

now, she's damned near deaf and also blind

i have pics when she was younger, but not on the computer. i'd have to scan them and the scanners out.

pics

here she is as of rite now. she loves the deck and i keep a fan going for her

here she is, laying in the small bed for my girls little weeny dog lol

well, just thought i'd share some moments. she has truley been a good dog and still is.

sadly, putting her down is coming soon.

oh, that storm when she left the yard, she fell into a swimming pool and ripped the liner trying to get out. thank god the people were home and heard her screaming or she woulda drowned. fuckers left the gate open :mad: but i paid for it. :cool:

·
Registered
626 Posts
damn dude...i can honestly say i understand. my oldest cat (he was 16) passed last year. he was doing great then all of a sudden quit grooming himself, lost a lot of weight, and was just lethargic. took him to the doctor and he was having kidney failure. hooked him up to IV fluids and did what they could, but he passed 4 days later. i cried like a baby man, and i still do if i think about it too much.

i hate that your dog had to go through a hard life early on...but i think its great that an animal can still be loving afterwards. my girl has a cat, a Norwegian Forest, and hes so damn sweet hes annoying!! always wants to cuddle up, rub, be petted, no matter what youre doing. but when he was younger someone shot him! yet hes still the nicest, most lovable cat youd ever know. he loves everyone.

just remember dude...people and animals may leave us, but well always remember them!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I know firsthand how much it sucks to lose a good friend like that after so many years. Take some comfort in the fact that you had many good years with her ...

·
Registered
260 Posts
feel for you man, a faithful dog is one of the hardest things to give up in life, my girl is about 14 now and she starting to show signs of slowing down, the definitely lost most of her hearing. Just keep thinking about the good times and take pride in the fact that the old gal was given a second lease on life and lived it happily.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the kind words guy's.

she was doing fine this morning, well, she was doing good. i had to wake her up for her meds. she didn't seem to happy about that lol.

one day at a time ya know.

rite now what sux is i guess i'm gonna buy a plastic container and dig a grave.
i've burried a couple dogs before but was a unplanned thing. small dogs, i wrapped in their blankets and burried. it seems so weird like this.

what do yall think is apropriate (sp)?

i figured a large plastic container with her blankets in it.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Talk to the kids, they always have a unique perspective on these things.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not a bad idea. i'll do that this afternoon. i am hoping to have time to figure it out tho, heck, it could be months ya know.

i did think of the old fashioned wood coffin but idk.

maybe i'm just thinking to hard on it and need to chill.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
this may or may no be true but I readthis in "The Art of Racing in the Rain", great book about motorcycle racing and a dog named Enzo but it said that Mongolians would bury their dogs at the top of a hill so that no one could walk over them.

As for the plastic container, I'm a bit more green and just because it's not biodegradeable, I would be against it, wood container sure but I definitely understand the desire for a plastic container

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats wierd kinda, the spot is on a hill on the side of the property. i have 2 dogs burried there now, she will go beside them. nobody treads there for any reason but me when i cut grass.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh, the plastic container and a wood box. i'm on the fence here.

i look at it like bubbleboy, but do i or should i preserve, or let her go back to the earth?

my other 2 dogs passed without warning in the hot summer, so they were burried quickly with no time for planning it. thats why this is different for me, plus she's like "grandma" of the house.

we call her grandma lol

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I lost a husky/shepard who was my best friend for 15 years, broke my fuckin' heart. We have her ashes & a large picture of her in the livingroom to this day. The kids are all grown now but we still tell stories of her.

I don't know what the he'll all that means, just hope it helps.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks LnL, i would love to have her cremated really, but things are so tight rite now i just can't swing it.

i know about the heart breaking. i had a small dog once, she was about 18 but i only had her for 7 years. she got thru the fence into the cow pasture one day, so i went over and climbed the fence and got her.

bout 30 minutes later, i go outside and she's back in the same place on the other side of the fence. i told her, well you got ur ass over there, you can climb bach thru.

i never saw her again :(

i searched that pasture (27 acres) for weeks. searched the roads, ditches, woods, yards. nothing

i have always felt bad about that. if i had just went back 1 more time and got her and brought her inside.

i have heard that sometimes when a dog knows and is still able, they will "go off somewhere" to die.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
oh, the plastic container and a wood box. i'm on the fence here.

i look at it like bubbleboy, but do i or should i preserve, or let her go back to the earth?

my other 2 dogs passed without warning in the hot summer, so they were burried quickly with no time for planning it. thats why this is different for me, plus she's like "grandma" of the house.

we call her grandma lol
damn, her being sort of the grandma makes it even harder

that's really a personal call, im no tree hugger but if I died, I'd want to be returned to the earth, cremated or not cremated

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry Warbuk. One of the toughest things anyone can go through. You get so attached and they become part of the family. I think your doing the right thing by letting the family spen some time with her. I know it's tough but you should be there when it happens let her know how much she means to you guys.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guy's. i'm gonna have to think about this one and ask the kids like LnL suggested.

but yeah, with 3 more dogs, bird, lizard and the fish. she's grandma round the house lol.

she will sniff the bird, but thought the lizard was food once so we don't go there anymore haha.

grandma don't put up with no shit either. if one of the dogs gets outa line, she'll straighten them out. just a few weeks ago my jack russel got cranky with her and she fucked her up.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yeah, it's tough when your friends get near their end.

I had a golden retriever for 12 years. She'd been through some guide dog training but flunked out lol. She was a great dog for me though.

She started to loose weight rapidly and it turned out she had cancer and lasted maybe a month before it was time to put her down. Pretty crazy how she looked at me in such a way that I knew it was time. I definately miss that old girl.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I couldnt do it myself with my dogs, You are a better man than me Warbuk. I am just gonna take them to the vet and say goodbye. Hope that day is a long time from now though...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts