Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does anyone else's exhaust have a funny smell the first heat up time. mine smells like burning hot dogs. :rolleyes::D seriously

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Maybe someone slipped a hot dog in your tailpipe. :D On a serious note, every new bike I have had would have a funky smelling exhaust for the first few hundred miles. Although I cannot say that any of them smelled like burning hot dogs!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah they come with some sort of coating on them. I'm not sure what it is but it usually burns off pretty soon. It's been on all my after market exhausts I've had for my quads.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol ok guys it was my other hot dog.....jm... yeah gotta love the Two bro exhaust

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, my slipon did the same thing. Been used to that "new exhaust smell" as I've put aftermarket exhausts on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i thought that something was burning on my bike, so i had to take off the fairings and check, afraid i did something since i just jetted the bike. but glad to know it is the exhaust

·
Registered
138 Posts
yeah i thought that something was burning on my bike, so i had to take off the fairings and check, afraid i did something since i just jetted the bike. but glad to know it is the exhaust
I had just done the needle shim mod, so I was a little nervous myself. I was about to take the tank off again before I remembered that I had just installed the slipon.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had just done the needle shim mod, so I was a little nervous myself. I was about to take the tank off again before I remembered that I had just installed the slipon.

man wished i new that, but i didnt so i began tearing it apart but i shortly found out it was the exhaust after i stuck my nose in it....lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Strange smelling exhaust fumes?

G'day all,
I've recently noticed that the fumes from exhaust have taken on a different scent since I changed oil/radiator fluid/exhaust. The bike also feels like it's struggling a lot more when riding at high revs and taking off.

I'm running Motul 5100 10W50 and the bike has 4100km on it. The exhaust was changed from a MGP Growler to just a generic aftermarket sports exhaust.

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
HMF Slip-on question

I recently purchased a HMF racing slip on exhaust for my 09 250r.
I put it on yesterday and everything seemed like it was working good.
But today when i got back from riding, there was
an excess amount of exhaust smoke coming out of the pipe and it had somewhat of a burnt smell. In addition, there is a little water drops from the bottom of the exhaust.
Is there something wrong with my HMF or is this weirdly normal?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Was it slightly cold today? Water droplets would be indicative of condensation I would think. And the burning smell/weird colored exhaust would be normal as well as it's probably burning off anything on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would agree with CylonMech.

The burning smell could just be from the exhaust getting hot for the first time(s). Think after you put exhaust wrap on a header/downpipe. It smells kinda sweet like pancakes for the first 500 miles or so.

Water condensation could be the cause for the water droplets if it's actually water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts