Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Deals Gap yesterday, it was awesome of course. But there was one incident with another rider that I want to get you guys input on. Me and a buddy were riding down 28, aka "Hellbender." I am a little faster than he is so I am up ahead maybe a 1/2 mile. I come up on this group of two riders, the lead guy was riding a gixxer 1000, I don't remember what the other guy was riding. They were riding pretty fast, but not at my pace so I decide to pass them. I passed the 2nd guy with no problem in one of the few straights, not enough room to pass the gixxer yet. So I am following him for a mile or two trying to find a good place. I kept having to roll off the throttle and slow down in the turns which fucked up my rhythm. Then he would gas it in the straights making it so I couldn't pass easily. I finally find a straight and go for it. The guy must have not seen me trying to pass (or he was just being a tough guy and didn't want to get passed by a 600) because he doesn't slow down to make room. We are coming up to the next turn and I have to move over into his lane, kind of cutting him off. I stop at a stop sign a few miles later to wait for my friend and he pulls up next to me all pissed off. He said he had to hit his brakes to keep from hitting me and that "if your so good, then find a place to pass where you don't put my life in danger." I began to argue my point, but I just cut myself off and said I'm sorry. I was out to have a good time and didn't feel like getting into a fight. I tried to shake his hand but he just took off in front of me. Just to rub it in, I caught back up to him and passed him again.

So am I in the wrong? I have a rule where if someone is in my rear veiw mirror, I let them by. I'm not going to ruin someone's ride because of my ego. I try to pass people safely and agree that I shouldn't put someone's life in danger, but I think he is just as responsible for making the pass difficult. The fact that he said he had to hit his brakes to keep from hitting me shows that he was still on the gas right before the turn trying to not let me pass.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i think that he was in the wrong. it would be like driving down a three lane highway in the fast lane(left) and going slow. traffic is going to pile up behind you and it is your obligation to move over and allow them to pass.good job passing him a second time!!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kind of sounds like you're both at fault, you more than him. You said yourself he was pulling hard on the straights, if you don't have the power to pass him then you should have stay'd back. You also said the guy was traveling fast, sure you were going a lil faster, but obviously not fast enough. Plus your riding partner is over half a mile back. Relax a lil bit next time, enjoy the ride and not worry if your pushing 100%, Or if you were able to "pass the liter bikes"

G

·
Originally posted by apexieclipse
Kind of sounds like you're both at fault, you more than him. You said yourself he was pulling hard on the straights, if you don't have the power to pass him then you should have stay'd back. You also said the guy was traveling fast, sure you were going a lil faster, but obviously not fast enough. Plus your riding partner is over half a mile back. Relax a lil bit next time, enjoy the ride and not worry if your pushing 100%, Or if you were able to "pass the liter bikes"
+1

as tempting as it may be to pass and to show others u got skill, gotta keep in mind that ur not in some sort of race. maybe he seemed slower b/c he was just trying to get used to the roads and didnt wanna wreck. u go there all the time. they probably dont [:p]

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm gonna have to go against the flow of the other replies.. Maybe you were a little rash, but he was the butt for not pulling over. I am no where near the speed of most everyone here, and when I go to the dragon, or anywhere I ride for that matter, if someone is faster I wave them on. If I keep them behind me I not only make my ride and their ride more stressful, I run a higher risk of wrecking worrying about them back there. Occasionaly I have come up on a slower rider than me, I just downshift and keep the rpms up so I will have the power to get around very quickly when the opportunity arises. However, I also usually back off so not to make them feel like I am pushing them.. You said this guy was jumping on it in the straights, that tells me he was trying to keep you from passing.. in that scenario I would have kept the rpms waaayyyy up and wot when I had the chance... so all in all.... he's the jerk.. you were frustrated and for a moment wasn't the kinder gentler biker that we see on goldwings

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Originally posted by apexieclipse
[:+1]

With you being slightly more at fault if his claim is true. What he was doing did not put you in danger other than your ego to pass him (that's what it seems like). I check my ego (as much as I can) at home when I go riding, I would've probably moved over and let you pass me, just cause I have a ten, I don't have to feel less than a guy on a 6 passing me on twisties, specially since I have other people that I am riding with. Now, you leaving your riding partner behind like that was a bit fugged. Thankfully, your partner didn't feel pressured to keep up with you and got into an accident.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Passing him wasn't really an ego thing, well maybe the second time it was, but not the first. I was just having fun riding at my own pace. I would have been going that fast whether there were people there or not. I wasn't trying to show off for anyone. I actually like riding behind people that are better than me, I like to watch their lines and technique to compare it with my own so I can get better. But people who slow down in the turns really fuck up my rhythm and cause me to make more mistakes. You are suppose to stay on the throttle through the turns to keep the proper weight distributed to the front and rear tire ( I just got done reading twist of the wrist 2, good book).

Your probably right about just pulling over and letting them go ahead, its the safest way to handle things. In fact I did pull over several times throughout the day when there were big groups ahead and passing wasn't worth it. But if I were to pull over for every single bike that was in my way, I would have spent half my day waiting instead of riding. I'm not out to "wreck" anyone elses ride, but I don't want my ride wrecked either.

As far as the leaving your wingman thing, we have an understanding about riding at our own pace. If I get too far ahead, I pull over and wait for him to make sure he didn't crash or anything. He usually stays pretty close to me, I just slow down in the straights and he will catch up in a few seconds. But around this time, it was late in the day and he was tired so he told me to go ahead, he just wanted to cruise. It was one of our last rides and I wanted to make the most of it so I went ahead.

I guess I feel a little bad about making the pass the way I did. I would hate to be the cause of an accident. But the whole thing could have been easily avoided. If someone catches you, they are faster than you, let them by. Its that simple.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would have just slowed way down and waited for your partner to catch up creating a gap between you and the other riders. Then you could have ridden as fast as you wanted with no one in front of you. Although when I see a bike in front of me I DO feel compelled to pass him.You have to understand though, anyone can buy a bike, and unfourtunatly there are some retards on rockets.

·
Registered
759 Posts
It sucks when someone hammers the straights, then parks it in the corners, and won't let you by. Happens a lot at the track. My solution is to just hot pit and wait for a break in traffic. On the road, it's probably best to pull over and chill if the guy in front isn't going to be courteous and let faster traffic pass him. I always wave faster riders past me when they come up on me. It's no big deal to just roll off the throttle, move the right side of the lane and wave them by. It's over in 30 seconds and you're both back in a happy groove.

FWIW, when riding with a group (I'm usually leading), the only rule is to wait/re-group at road changes. Other than that, you're on your own to ride your own ride, pass when/where you see fit, and be safe. There's no rule the group has to stay together and in fact we're almost always split up as we work our way through slower traffic and/or get cars in between us. No one should EVER "push" to keep up with the group. Just do your thing, have some safe fun, and we'll re-group at the next gas stop or road change. It's a good idea to keep an eye on the guy behind you as a "buddy system" though.

Bottom line: You probably shouldn't have passed the guy the first time if you couldn't do it cleanly. I'm not convinced he was trying to keep you from passing, but he certainly wasn't being courteous if he knew you were there. I don't hear guys behind me and chance are he might not have either. I've been known to forget to check my six regularly when riding twisties and focusing on the road ahead.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
shoulda passed him in the curve lol. j/k. he prolly didn't know u were there or he may have purposly not let u pass. he fucked with you, you let it bother you, he won, you lost. it sux but what you gonna do? have a beer and forget it.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Age old story..."had him in the corners, but he got me on the straights..."

I think he was a putz, but you shouldn't have passed where it was going to be close, even if he made it worse. You have to allow for the actions of other riders, no matter how ass-hatty. The fact that you ran out of room & had to shut him down says you chose a mrginal spot to pass.

Keep in mind, no matter how challenging & fun the dragon (or any public road) is... it's NOT the track. NOT the place for ballsy passes. Even track days they discourage that kinda thing. You want to dive into corners & steal the line, get your AMA license & get racing.

In your favor, you tried to make it right with him, but usually when the adrenaline's flowing, people aren't real receptive to apologies. Points for trying though.

Not flaming, but you asked; that's my opinion (fwiw).

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all of your responses. I accept my fuck up. Looking back, I definetley think I shouldn't have gone for it. Even if the guy was being stubborn, its not worth risking someone's life. But at the time, I really thought it wasn't going to be a problem. For that section of 28, it was actually one of the best places to pass had the guy not been going so fast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think that you should have left your wingman but I understand that you were at The Gap and you wanted to make the most of it. He should have let you pass. Buy a 10R and this will never be an issue again.:D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep you cut him off in his lane, you got drawn into a situation you really didn't need to be in. If the guy was that slow then passing him on a corner would not be a problem really...
Ok hes not the smoothest of riders but thats not important,this is about right and wrong.

Thankfully he wasnt "that bad a rider" he didn't shunt you up the arse wrecking both you guys and the bikes.
Reading between the lines your a nice bloke who's dwelling on it and hopefully taking away the positive aspects of this incident. Its better to ride safe then not at all.
This could quite easily have be a wrecked my legs/636 thread.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've been riding that section of hwy 28 for the last three days. I'm glad I didn't meet you passing your buddy or this thread would be a lot shorter.;) Are you talking about the part between Bryson City and Franklin? That's a well kept secret as far as good roads go. I personally like it just as much, maybe better, than the Dragon.
I showed up at Deals Gap Sunday. Looked like a million bikes. As soon as I started up the dragon, I saw a squid had gone to hot into one of the first turns and broken his leg. The authorities were with him, waiting on the ambulance. This sort of ruined my whole "dragon" experience for the day. Instead, 28 south was awsome.:D
The Dragon was great, MONDAY. Weekends suck in the Mts.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I wouldn't have passed him, i'd have slowed on the straights and then caught back up in the bends, thats where all the fun is.

I had a guy pass me on a ride up the old highway, on a corner. he was stopped up at the same cafe i was headed to and i told him if he ever passed me on a corner again i would break his legs.

See its a one lane either way highway where we were.

So i'm gonna say yeah, your fault. sure he was being a dick but that doesn't make what you did right.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is gonna sound real obvious but try it anyway...........If you're constantly runnin up slower riders tailpipe,you have two options.One is to slow to their pace and the other is to find better times to ride.The fist option sucks major and leads to problems like you had.And will only get worse with time.The second option is the best answer.Basically,you should be on your return ride when most folks are just getting started.My goals are to not see ANY traffic,bike OR cage.I will find the best times during the day/week to insure uninterupted practice.Here,bikes start showing up 'round 11 am on w/ends.During the week is by far the best time for practice,but early w/ends ain't bad.If you really want to get good you're gonna have to make some big sacrifices WRT work,family,ect.You must get in uninterupted,QUALITY practice.

You tryed to do right by appologising to Gixhead,leave it at that.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Even though I've not been there (YET - fixing that in Oct), I understand that you can run the dragon several times a day, weather permitting. So even if one run gets slowed down, I think I'd just try again later. It's not a competition for me...I just want to get some saddle time in the REAL twisties.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.