Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that didn't take long - only 2600 miles/2 months. I went down today while riding with Ozanbacak (who also went down) and a couple other guys. We were riding in northern New Jersey along a really nice road (Clinton Road for those of you in the area) - most of the twisties we took somewhat aggressively but not too bad. Then all of a sudden there is a really tight turn and Ozan and I both slow down - we speed up to hit the next turn when all of a sudden we hit a huge patch of gravel. When I say huge I mean....huge. You couldn't even see teh gravel either because of the sun glare. I had no idea it was there until we were on top of it. There was a guy ahead of us who made it through (not really sure how) but Ozan and I both went down. I saw Ozan go down and figured that I was next. We were probably doing 25-30 in the curve and I may have grabbed my front brake when I saw him go down but I can't remember. It just all happened too fast.

Next thing I know I'm sliding along the ground while my bike is sliding in front of me. I check myself over and thankfully my gear did its job. Gloves were ripped, some holes in my jacket and scratches along my helmet. My jeans, somehow, held up the best. They're regular jeans but they had no damage whatsoever. I have minor (really, really minor) rash on my right leg but it's nothing. My right knee and right shoulder also feel kinda sore right now.

I'll get some pics of my bike up when they're posted - another guy had a camera and took pics. All together its about $4000 of damage, the dealership said. I've got full coverage tho so no problem. The list of things to replace: Seat Cover, Engine Cover, Rear Brake (the whole set might need to go actually), Triple Tree Clamp, all the fairings on the right side, right turn signal, right mirror and I think that's it.

So many scratches on my bike right now...it makes me wanna cry. I left the bike at the dealer and they're gonna start working on it. My insurance will send someone on Tuesday and hopefully the bike will be ready for next weekend.

It's funny - just yesterday I posted about how I wouldn't give up riding for anything. And the FIRST thought that popped into my head after I crashed was "damn...that's gonna cost a lot". Everyone was asking me if I was OK but honestly I couldn't care less about my gear/body. All I was thinking about was how much money it would cost to replace this stuff and how long it would be before I ride again.

O yea and I'll never ride without gear again. I always wear gear on the weekend but during the week I never do. Not anymore...I would have been in the hospital for a long time if I wasn't wearing my gear.

Stay safe everyone...I'm glad to say that my first (and hopefully only) crash is outta the way :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Damn! Im glad u r ok. I guess we aint riding next weekend. Get that beast on the road asap, hopefully they will get it to the same condition it was in but with 4 grand in damage they might just total it.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 02ZX6R
Damn! Im glad u r ok. I guess we aint riding next weekend. Get that beast on the road asap, hopefully they will get it to the same condition it was in but with 4 grand in damage they might just total it.
haha yea no riding next weekend :(

the insurance will check it over on Tuesday. then the dealer will order the parts and they said it will take around 10 days. im praying to God that it's ready for the weekend of the 18th-19th. two weeks without riding...im not sure how im gonna deal with it.

keep your schedule open tho cause we'll ride together at some point [:p]

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
glad to hear you're ok and the bike is getting fixed. Usually one crash is all it takes to get people to wear their gear all the time. I went down on my first bike with a tshirt helmet and gloves on. Only thing that happened was that i separated my shoulder. I was pretty lucky no rash or anything, but i knew if i had a jacket on with shoulder pads i would have been fine. I rode without a jacket for the first time in a long time on thursday just cause i couldnt go another day in this humid 100+ heat riding around the city with a jacket on. I always think to myself that the one day i don't wear one is the day that im gonna go down, so i dont take that chance.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G

·
that sux dude. hope u get back on soon. situations like that with the road are sometimes unavoidable. luckily around here most of the ones im familiar with are dirt/gravel free.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im glad to see you made it out alright, I crashed my bike 7/8/06 on my way to work it was 2 weeks old and 1107 miles on it some what the same issue. I was riding 30-32 mph in 2 turns and hit some sand, I corrected it but ran out of room and hit the curb. I broke my lumbar spine, Collapsed my right lung and some road rash on the knees but everything in my body works. I have full coverage insurance with the gap insurance, and the bike is totaled So i'm not worried they're gonna replace the bike im looking at a ZX-10. But I'm not affraid of riding again it's a learning Experience/freak accident. Take care and good luck! ride safe this was my new bike

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
glad you're alright..... always happy to hear it when people wear their gear

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
...And the FIRST thought that popped into my head after I crashed was "damn...that's gonna cost a lot".
It's funny how that thought pops into your head when you crash, isn't it?

Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Why aren't you having the insurance company check it over then having them give you the money? Thats how I've always done it anyway. That way I get it fixed cheaper than the dealership would, and put the extra leftover cash on my bike loan or into a couple goodies.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by tdahle
Why aren't you having the insurance company check it over then having them give you the money? Thats how I've always done it anyway. That way I get it fixed cheaper than the dealership would, and put the extra leftover cash on my bike loan or into a couple goodies.
both of them are looking it over. the dealership is doing an estimate and the insurance company is sending a guy over on Tuesday to make sure that the estimate is legitimate.

if anything, the dealer will probably add up more stuff than the insurance.

also, the damage isn't just superficial. if i just had the replace the fairings, id get the insurance company to give me money and order the parts myself.

but the triple tree is damaged, along with the engine cover, right rear set and some other non-fairing parts that i forget because the list is so long. i want to make sure none of the performance is gone, ya know? i am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination and so if insurance is paying for it, i want the parts installed by a legitimate mechanic.

Everyone else - thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling better today (kinda sore all day yesterday) but I'm headed to the beach to jetski cause I'm getting bored already [:p]

·
Registered
812 Posts
I hope you're feeling better man... I sanded down my fairings and manufactured some parts that went bye bye (fairing bolt sleeve)I was going to paint it, but somebody stole my paint. All 4 cans of spray paint!
My upper fairing has major cracks/breaks on it.I'll have to take it apart and fix the cracks.

For those who are reading, I am the other guy who crashed. Thank god we're all ok, and that there was no traffic.Otherwise we could have been license plate ornament for a semi.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank god we're all ok, and that there was no traffic.Otherwise we could have been license plate ornament for a semi.
Yea, I was thinking about that yesterday when I got home. Had there been any sort of traffic on the other side, we'd probably be road kill.

I guess someone up there likes us :D

edit: i also couldn't help but think....we only crashed at like 25-30 mph yet my whole right side was sore yesterday and i can still feel it today.

imagine what crashing at 90mph must feel like....assuming you still survive. its kinda made me wanna get a full riding suit....

after all, it "saved your ass" :D

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by FightingFalcon

imagine what crashing at 90mph must feel like....assuming you still survive. its kinda made me wanna get a full riding suit....
It's not fun. Trust me.

As for the insurance issue, not to burst your bubble, but I'd say you'll be extremely lucky if you end up with just one month of down time. Insurance claims usually go INCREDIBLY slow, especially if they're totaling it with gap coverage. They don't like handing out that kind of money, and don't be surprised if the company drops you after handing out the gap check.

·
Registered
748 Posts
ahh, dude that sux. glad you're ok.

what is up with yesterday?? i crashed too. as i was heading out at ~6:00am to meet up for a group ride. i wasn't even 2 miles from home. i was traveling ~45mph ~100 feet behind a full-size van coming up to a traffic light. the light had just turned green. i had looked down at my gauges (and maybe adjusted the antenna on my gps, don't really remember) when i suddenly noticed i was gaining on the van rather quickly (less than 40 feet from him). when i looked up i saw his brake lights. i jumped on the brakes, but bcuz my left hand was still off the bar, the bike tipped to the right. i got my left hand on the bar and corrected, but with the weight shift and panic grab on the brakes, the front slid out to the right and slammed hard on the left. i slid maybe 10 feet, while the bike slid about 15 - 20 feet and just under the van. the van had started moving forward and actually dragged the bike another 20 feet b4 he stopped.

the driver got out and come back to me to see if i was ok and apologized for stopping. he explained that a truck had turned across our lane to get onto I75 south, causing him to stop. thinking back, i do kinda remember seeing a vehicle moving off to the right as i went down. i got the bike off to the side of the road, assessed the damage, got it started and rode back to the house.

my gear did it's job. was wearing HJC helmet, firstgear mesh jacket, riding boots, gloves and levi jeans. small scrapes on my knee, sore shoulder, sore hip (bruise the shape of my pocketknife) and sore ankle. apparently the bike came down on my ankle. it didn't hurt when i was walking around at the scene and when i first got home. it was a bit later that it hurt to put my weight on it. but i doing fine now.

here's pics of the bike and scene
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gringonj/album?.dir=/5febre2&.src=ph&.tok=phmS.SFByWU4n2ye

trashed the fairings, mirrors and handlebar. will fix it myself once i get all the parts together. then i'll probably sell it and get a zx9r.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey fellows

Glad to hear you both fine and hope you get your toys back in good shape soon.

Falcon:

Couple of questions from a fellow jersey rider on the same equipment. Looks like you didn't have sliders installed right? Would you consider installing them going forward? Also, are you going to have it sprayed the original matte blue? I hear that its hard to get that done right. Take care.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
damn, that sucks, but im happy to hear your ok!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.