Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mad Hatter
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i did a phenominally stupid thing. im riding in the rain, slight drizzle to be exact, and i guess the tires musta been cold or something cuz i had to stop and bike just slid and slid and slid but of course, i love my bike so much that instead of just letting it slide off without me before hitting the van i made it slide sideways and hit the side of the van with the side of my bike with me still on it. well... 3 fractured ribs, bruised left shoulder, bruised left knee, a spranged left wrist and 3700 dollars in damage will teach me to warm up those dam tires. my first crash dam it hurts... but i miss my baby soo much [V] .... [:p]just think of all the mods[}:)]

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
damn that really suck man. hope you recover well. youll be riding soon, don't sweat it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry to hear that, hope you get better and back up and running soon.
I still need more practice on the wet roads...

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
MRED, I would say try to practice staying OFF wet roads. No matter how good a driver you are, the wet stuff has no mercy. But if you Must drive in the rain, take it nice and easy. you must be alert 3 times as much as regular riding.

ALEX, Hope you recover promptly.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Light drizzle or when it first starts to rain are when roads are most slick with oil and all that other shit leaking out of cars. Warm tires would have probably done little in your situation if it had been raining lightly.

The cool part about being out in the rain you and your bike slide across the grass much better than in the dry should you throw it down.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Strong said it best! It takes 30 minutes of a constant rain to wash the surface down. The beginning of a light drizzle even sucks in my truck (shitty traction and no weight in the ass end), I can't imagine trying to stop semi-quick on a bike. I just hope I hit the grass if I do go down;)

However, when I did get stuck in the rain, after it stopped, the wind felt really good[8D] It's freakin hot down here...

Cyber: I only want to practice because I know my day is coming when I get stuck with no alternatives. I work 45 miles from home, and the weather in Texas literally changes in the blink of an eye with no warning.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i ride in the rain all the time, you just have to be smoother and try and predict things way before they happen. I have had a few close calls, but practice does make perfect.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Its hard to let go.Get well and get back on.[:p]

mfzx6r

·
Registered
226 Posts
Andy said it. I ride all year, with at least 4 month of rain riding, and there's no better way to do it that smoothly. I had to do some emergency stops and damn... in all of those times my tires slided!! I was lucky not to fall or hit anything, but with experience those emergencies are becoming fewer, and that's the trick: stay out of the trouble! Tires have great grip levels in rain, much better than one imagines, but roads are all dirty from mud, dead leaves, oils... And in those conditions, no tire is good.

·
Mad Hatter
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea ..... now that i think about it and go over it in my head. i was kinda speeding. had to go from 40 to zero but i dunno why i opted to stay on the bike instead of letting it go. and your right about being more careful in the rain too. i wasnt being careful.. it sux. so now the question is anyone reccommend a good color for the 02? the rims are stock black/dark grey.... post a link or something.... im thinkin red..... i got tired of the stock yellow...

·
Mad Hatter
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and by the way im recovering...OK...thanks guys . the doctor said 3-4 weeks for the ribs to heal and i got anxious and decided to try to go out yesterday and did some riding but all the pain suddenly came back :( im gonna have to take it real easy cuz in a week or two i get the bike back and i wanna ride already.. im having withdrawl dreams....

·
Registered
631 Posts
mred: I got caught in the rain on sunday up at 149 north by richards on sunday and damn that my second time in the rain and it just plain sucked ass. I was so very carefull and slow but i could still feel the tire try to slide out. hey we should get together and ride somewhere........... i need somebody that will keep up with me..... those gxr's and hondas arent shit.

galveston trip on 7th of sept.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Daniel: funny you mentioned getting stuck in the rain. I got stuck in my first "turd floater" friday night. Freakin freeway was flooded, pouring down, wouldn't let up, trucks passing me throwing walls of water over me...I could have pulled over, but I said what the hell, I"m soaked already, and I need the practice!!!

Can't make the 7th, I'll be in Cozumel[8D]

We do need to get together. Arturo posted the Bike Rally next month. Wee all need to meet up! Let me know if your going.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.