Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys well i just recently got my hands on a 98 zx6r. its basicaly stock aside the d&d pipe. the bike rides really nicely but i would like a lil more power. i dont get over 90 mph very much i tend to keep it on the safe side while on the freeways. anyways i know i should have went with a bigger bike being that im about 6'2" and 230lbs but i outright traded my 91 crx for the zx6r. i figure its a good starting point for now. i at one time had a 92 ninja 1100 and she was sweet also but a lil much power for me back then. im looking towards a jet kit but there are a few companies to choose from. what are your guys recomendations on a jet kit?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm gonna sound like a dick here, so I apologize in advance.

1. A jet kit won't give you much for power, but it can help to smooth out the powerband and improve throttle response. If you really want one, try Dynojet or Factory. Your best bet is to have it dyno tuned to get the carbs properly dialed in, though.

2. Since you rarely break 90mph and want more power, try a gearing change. Go up one or two teeth on the rear sprocket or down one up front. Your acceleration will increase nicely, but you will lose a few mph on the top end.

3. You don't need more power. I'm bigger than you, and I've always found 600s to have plenty of power (even my old F2). Instead of trying to make the bike stronger, try improving the rider. Take a track school or two. It makes a world of difference. ;)

Good luck, and welcome.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Welcome to the board. Like Mikey said try a gearing change. Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket is enough to feel a pretty big difference in take off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks u guys.... well ill be heading to the local bike shop and seeing what they can do for me as far as the gearing is concerned. well its nice to hear the bike should be able to handle my heavy azz :Danyways as far as track school goes....my bike is just a daily rider and an occasional drag racer, you really think i should go to some sorta school for that?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Mikey's right....

except for the jet kit recommendation....I did my research and went with Ivan's jet kit....it was created for your bike...

www.ivansperformanceproducts.com

I had him install it personally and the throttle response is right on...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i went to the local shop and ordered a 520 conversion for $150...ill have it in about 5 days. from what the shop said this seems like a very good investment. i will also look into the jet kit once i get my money saved up for a full exh.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You'll soon see that your 98 zx6r will be plenty enough power for you right now. And with a 6, you get much better handling then say a liter bike, you'll thank yourself later.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I recently went down a tooth in the front with a 520 chain and am quite pleased with the results. It should be enough to satisfy you without sacrificing too much top end speed, but since you rarely go over 90 it shouldn't matter at all.

·
Registered
337 Posts
you could play with a lot more than 1 or 2 teeth if you really needed the torque and don't break 100 mph. My zx6r is -1 in front. I think this winter I'm going +2 in the rear. There are few places where I ride that it is safe to top it out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the kit i ordered is -1 up front and +3 out back along with the 520 chain. hopefully it will do alright for me. from what ive been reading it should definatly satisfy my needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.