Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Willow Springs - Group C - 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6

Brit636, Kuro and I were there, along w/ Quick208 who was in the garage next to us. Kuro and I were in Group C, Brit in Group B, and Quick in A.

Session 1 was nuts. Everyone all over the track, no one following the line we were told to follow, or even thinking of a line period! It was was they thought they were racing. I admit, after the orientation I completely forgot the line myself, but also found myself trying to keep pace w/ some other people to keep from getting blown by too closely.. but things changed.

Session's 2-3 were my real "practices" we can say. I took the instructor's advice and did session 2 in one gear (3rd) and only upshifted when I had to. Once sessions 4, 5, and 6 came around, I was having real fun.

I was consistent in what gears I was in the last 3 sessions. One bad thing was that I was topping out 5th gear about 15 or so yards before the first set of braking cones for turn 1. I didn't want to shift into 6th, go WOT, then brake and have to downshift an extra gear so I just rolled off, braked late and DS instead. Here's a breakdown, T1 (3rd), T2 (4th), T3-T5 (3rd), T6 (4th), T7-T9 (5th). I never really went WOT down the straight to either let the liter bikes fly by faster or to go thru the hot pits and get away from either a group in front and/or behind me. I did, however, go WOT coming out of T9 so I could keep the faster bikes I passed in T8&9 behind me or they'd get in front by T1 and be in my way most of the time.

I did pass 4-7 other riders in the S4-S6 runs. I passed in all turns at one point throughout those sessions, I'm pretty sure.

Some close calls did happen. Came out of T9 too fast and went wider than I wanted to pretty close to the drive out cone. In S1 one dude came into my path in the straight after he was getting passed by faster bikes. I guess he tried to move out of their way but ended up almost cutting me off. I side swiped him at 120-130mph .. not cool.

Here's some pics of the fun tho..

How do I look? :D

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Great writeup and great pix.

I never noticed that track looks like an old handgun :lol:

·
Registered
692 Posts
lol So you've had that R6 "track ready" looking bike for how long and never been on a track? Cause it looks like that's all its for. Good looking bike though! Great shots! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol So you've had that R6 "track ready" looking bike for how long and never been on a track? Cause it looks like that's all its for. Good looking bike though! Great shots! :thumbup:
lol I've had it for just over a month now :p

Thanks tho, I wanna paint it red and black soon.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oh okay.. I gotcha. Just waiting to get it to the track, cool. I'll get there eventually. I dunno though.. I like that white and red scheme you have now.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
more black, less white.. I have a scheme in mind already. I like it as is too but that's the prev owner's look. Time to change it! ;)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stole this pic from Joe .. . Chris should have some pics too in his camera of the garage and a couple of the bikes together..

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
More details :D

At one point, I went into turn 8 at 125mph once and although I managed to do it comfortably, I thought to myself, "this is probably too fast, too soon" .. and dropped it back down to 110mph going in, 115mph through it, and about 110 coming out of turn 9.

I didn't even "race" down the straight, just so I can focus on coming into turn 1 at a good speed. . . turn 2 was one of the best. LONG sweep. Enter speed 80-90mph (after braking HARD) depending on how hot I would come in coming out of turn 1 and exiting at 105mph at one point, sliding my puck, def one of the highlights that day lol. It really helped because I was using it as a gauge. Once I touched it down, I held it there until the last apex in T2. I was coming in exactly how I wanted to but there is dirt just off the track surface so I would simply tuck my knee back towards the tank and lean just a little bit more to hold that tight line exiting it.

I can go on and on, seriously

1 - 16 of 16 Posts