Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first track day, I did a 2 minutes 06 seconds my fastest. I believe Rossi does that same track at 1 minute 33 seconds.

I was at Phakisa Freeway.

Before you start flaming about me not putting the knee down, I could not get ahold of some leather pants with sliders for the day so I just put on some knee guards under my jean. I was afraid of snagging my leg if I put it down denim to asphalt....

And wow, it felt as if I was really too low but looking at the pics with a propper knee and getting off the bike more i could lean that bitch waaay more if I think about how low some of the other guys were in front of me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No flaming for not getting your knee down here. I still have not gotten my knee down at the track. Looks like you are doign pretty darn good!

Oh yeah, and remember knee down doesn't always mean fast. I know a few people that run pretty good in the intermediate group that haven't gotten a knee down.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I also might beenefit from sitting more upright? It funny how "what you feel" on the track is not neccecarily "what you see" in the pics afterwards...

·
Registered
634 Posts
What track did you go to where you don't have to wear leathers. I thought that was part of the regulations for track days.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You'd never get on a track in the UK with just jeans on,They'll only let you on with 1 piece leathers or zipped together two piece leathers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a Track Day by local guys here that do ameture racing. It was held on Phakisa. I wanted to do another track day but they had the whole "must have leathers thing" going.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My local track does 1 track day a year where they allow riders to wear double jeans. They also enforce a no passing rule in order to keep the speeds down. This allows new track riders to get the feel of a track day without going out and buying a $300+ set of leathers.

Believe me though, even though track are safer and ahve run off areas, going down in jeans still hurts just as bad as doing it on the street.

If you are going to be doing more track days then invest at least in a used maybe slightly rashed set of leathers so you dont have to worry about getting rashed up when or if you go down.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, definately, I have a set of leather pants on order at a shop here, but it seems the stock got stuck at the aitport due to some drugs or summin now they kept back alot of stuff to inspect.... I just did that one with tje jeans, will definaltey get the leather pants...

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,686 Posts
Congrats on the first track day. So??? Are you addicted now?? Later this month the AMA Super Bike races will be held on a track I was just on (VIR). I can't wait to see how those guys run that track, now that I know it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup, addicted for sure!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
You don't want to be more upright. STT taught us nipple on the tank, lower footpeg on the ball of your foot, and outter footpeg on the heel of your boot. Worked awesomely for me, improved my corner speed a lot!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Damn, looks like a blast. I'm still saving up for my pants and boots. My buddy just went out and bought new gear head to toe and signed up for track day in a couple weeks. Lucky bastard. I can't wait to get out there. No cars, dump trucks, cliffs, gravel, potholes, cops, stop signs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.