Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
um, i don't think i ever washed or lubed my chain in over 10 months and the gear sprocket is dirty as hell. should i replace it or clean it, can it be cleaned or am i SOL. i did however, finally buy a chain lube and it's fine, works fine, looks fine. i'm a lazy mofo, i know. yes yes i don't deserve my bike. but it is my baby, when moving anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You said your a lazy MoFo, LOL. Sorry to say this but, cleaning your chain and sprockets (front and rear) can be a timely exercise.

I put my bike up on a rear stand to make it easier to clean 'cause you can sit behind the bike and spin the wheel without having to move the bike forwards or backwards when you have finished cleaning the part on the chain and sprocket that is accessible. Now with some kerosene and a rag (you'll need a few rags) clean the chain and sprocket, remove the front sprocket cover and clean the inside of the cover and front sprocket. It is easier to remove the rear wheel and clean the dirt and crap off, but it is not really necessary. It is a messy job and you will have kero and dirt everywhere. I always use a catch pan under the bike when doing this, it saves oil stains on the drive or garage and if you're like me it saves stains on the carpet in the garage. Yes, I carpeted the garage!!! My car and bike are parked on carpet :D, it's a bit wank-ish, but they carpet was free and brand new!

Then, apply your lube to the chain. And reapply every 500 miles or so, and clean when required.

When you are cleaning the sprockets and chain check for wear, you may need to replace these, although this all depends on how old your bike is, how many miles your bike has done and if they have been changed yet or not and if they are worn or not.

You will find that your bike will be dirty from the kero splashes etc, so I wash my bike afterwards.
You will appreciate your bike more after this. I know I do ;)

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
good notes from corby, just a note, if you dont have kerosene, WD-40 works great (its mostly kerosene anyway) for cleaning the chain.
Your chain should also be warm before you apply the new grease/wax, so go for a 2 minute ride after you clean it.
I always do all of this right before I goto bed or if I know its going to rain all day, then you can let the grease/wax set in (to avoid it flinging off everywhere) and not miss any riding time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.