Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to go pick up my bike at the shop for the 600 mile service. I went in to talk to the guy and then he asked "is the bike still under warranty?" I said yes and he immediately said "bring it back". My heart literally dropped into my stomache. He then told me it runs like shit. He brought me out to snow me what he was talking about and started it up and opened the choke for a quick second and closed it and gave it some throttle and the thing was almost stalling with losing power. He told me this was not normal.

I then told him that I've heard many times that these bikes run extremely cold blooded and it takes a while for them to warm up and then they are good to go. When I first got the bike I came on here worried about that exact thing and everyone assured me it wasn't a problem and was normal.

The guy then understood and look it up himself and found that same information I told him. He told me everything checked out fine and I was all set.

Seriously, I almost had s heart attack there. I got a good laugh after the fact though.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

· Registered
277 Posts
Good thing you knew yourself what the bike should run like when cold. I could just imagine what he would mess up digging for a problem only to find it is normal. I agree this forum is a very valuable tool with thousands of combined years of experience to draw from.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
i havent ridden my ninja yet, since im waiting to get in the msf course, but let me ask this noob question here since it is relatable.. how long is the choke kept on when you start the bike? tia
depends on a number of different things temperature being the biggest deciding factor ..

if you live on a long straight street then you may be able to choke it till you get out of your driveway and up to speed because the main issue will be off idle acceleration but if you have alot of stopping and starting to do before you get to a nice stretch of road the bike may sputter and hesitate till it's warmer ..

· Registered
10 Posts
depends on a number of different things temperature being the biggest deciding factor ..

if you live on a long straight street then you may be able to choke it till you get out of your driveway and up to speed because the main issue will be off idle acceleration but if you have alot of stopping and starting to do before you get to a nice stretch of road the bike may sputter and hesitate till it's warmer ..
so warming it up with the choke on for a couple minutes before i start riding should be ok?

· Registered
2,378 Posts
so warming it up with the choke on for a couple minutes before i start riding should be ok?
Letting it run on the choke untill the temp gauge is close to the middle would be ideal. Depending on how cold it is outside you may need to give it 5 to 10 minutes

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
2,378 Posts
Me too. Fuel gauge is nice for a FI bike, but when we have to worry about warming up a carbed bike I think a temp gauge is more useful. I'm sure that back when they had a temp gauge everyone complained about the opposite though.
Haha sorry my sisters 07 has one so I just assumed a newer model would, guess that was the trade off for the new body lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
69 Posts
If I take my bike to a mechanic and he's not familiar with the bike, I generally keep looking. The whole learn-as-you-go approach may work at a Jiffy Lube, but not when you're working on my bike.

Good thing you read up on the bike, otherwise you'd probably pull your hair out.

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. He's been in business for 12 years and I was surprised that he didn't know this. He didn't adjust the idle or anything which was good, but I don't know why he would anyways. Wouldnt make a difference.

· Registered
73 Posts
How do you work at a dealer and not know a bike needs to warm up?
Prolly the same reason he thought your 250 wasn't running right......they sound like they're missing at idle....missing 2 pistons! haha
jk
glad it worked out though

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you work at a dealer and not know a bike needs to warm up?
Prolly the same reason he thought your 250 wasn't running right......they sound like they're missing at idle....missing 2 pistons! haha
jk
glad it worked out though
Well from my understanding the new kawi 250's take considerably longer to warm up more than other bikes out there with carbs. I keep hearing these things are incredibly cold blooded. I usually go down the street with the carb on until I get to the end of the street and take it off. Then it usually is good to go.

· Registered
5,076 Posts
Well from my understanding the new kawi 250's take considerably longer to warm up more than other bikes out there with carbs. I keep hearing these things are incredibly cold blooded. I usually go down the street with the carb on until I get to the end of the street and take it off. Then it usually is good to go.
:lol: I do hope you mean choke ;) though i must admit, the image of you rippin gout your carbs while riding down the road did make me giggle!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.