Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long time Kawasaki lover. I have an incredable ZX-11 right now, but I've owned ZX-6s before and my wife just sold her ZX-6. I especially enjoy working on these bikes and have a lot of experience that may be helpful to other members here. I am currently building a machine shop and service facility for motorcycles, specializing in sportbikes. The shop will also have powder coating, polishing, and a host of machining capabilities. The picture below is of a ZX-6E following a complete engine rebuild. This home shop provides fun for the weekends and evenings. There's a lot more to the shop than what you see here, but this is where I spend most of my time, when I'm not at work that is.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice clean looking shop. That's gotta be good for business.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
99 Posts
WOW - BIG envy here - thats solid proof you know what your doing, and take pride in it aswell. I've never seen anything like that in a home shop. VERY impressed - (and jealous) :D:D

www.dnfmcx.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, and your right 'Unreel' it does have a positive effect on business. So many shops are pretty run down and I don't blame someone for not wanting to leave their pride and joy in a what looks more like a junkyard.

I live just east of Atlanta, Georgia, but waiting for winter to end, just like most of us.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How much was that lifter for the bike? ( what the bike is on ) and what are the dimensions of it? I was looking for something similar to that, thanks![|)]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt,

The lift is a 'Handy" electric. There are three types, Air, Electric, & Hydraulic. The Air Lift Table (24" wide) lists for $625 and the electric for $850. I also have (not shown) 8" extensions (makes lift 40" wide) for $149, and 13" front extension for Harleys for $79.

I have never been especially fond of air-powered lifts as they are difficult to raise or lower in small precise amounts. I use a cross table, for example, to lower or raise engines from the frame. In other words I support the motor separately and then raise or lower the lift table. I may want to just bump the table a tiny bit but the airlift may jump 4 or 6 inches. And of course you also have to own an air compressor.

The electric is absolutely precise. Much easier and safer. It uses an ACME screw, so when it's powered off, the table is automatically locked in position. Very nice.

Most of the shops around here have the airlifts, as there are less expensive.

Both tables are 80" long. You can also buy a front tire clamping device ($89) but as you can see I use a block and ordinary tie-downs. The tire clamp is handy but is often is right in the way when working on the wheels, forks, etc.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Great shop!! I'm a bit envious. Makes me feel ashamed of my 2x4 for a lift and off brand tools [V]. Just Kidding. I have a friend that owns a shop around here. It's a Ducati shop but he lets me use a well hidden corner of it (lol). But Your garage shop rivals it in many ways. She's a beauty!![:p]

Ken - Yellow '02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.