Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's this for someone's first ride on a bike. I take a friend of mine out for a ride (she's never been on a bike). we ride about 40 miles she's liking it alot (now I am 35 miles from home to get her.... so I am now 75ish miles from home), stop for some coffee... I walk over and lean on my tire (valve cap o-ring was stuck in stem a couple days ago, making sure everything was a-ok) the thing caves in.... so I immediately check the valve cap, no probs there... SO I walk the bike while looking at the tire..... I picked up a piece of metal, great. So I go into the Cumby's we are at, no fix-a-flat. I knew the area I was in and knew there was a k-mart right down the road. I was planning on getting some plugs (which they didn't have the 'shroom kind) so I get a can of fix-a-flat instead... Go back outside and use like a 1/4 of the can (if that even) just till I feel the tire getting a little stiffer. Put the can down, read the directions "take for short ride to balance the substance, and inflate tire" (or something) I also saw "do not use on z rated, high performance or motorcycle tires" I saw that before I bought it but I am desparate to atleast get the bike home. SO I do just that ride around the parking lot around K-Mart and come back "PSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH" um, ok what's that..... That would be white crap spewing out of the tire all over the fucking bike.... hmmm, ok lets go get those plugs..... plug number 1 mysteriously disappears in the tire.... plug number 2 I am not trimming.... go to push the bike it is hard as hell to move.... ok, now I am really fucked.... call a cab to bring me home to get my truck to come back and get the bike...... which cost me $80 (LOL), on the way back stop and buy ramps at Home Depot ($170!!!!!). Get the bike home, finally @ 7:30 am. I now get to call around and get prices on tires, and hope someone has them in stock! P.S. the young lady that was with me has to work at 10am (I got her home at around 6:30am) but she stuck by me the entire time.... now that is a true friend! More to come..... :D

Sometimes all you can do is laugh!

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
hehe Mike thats some major fuckin sods law :) glad ya both safe (you and the bike that is) :) so i take it ya didnt even get ya leg over (her not the bike) so thats an expensive date :)

Russ

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah... when all is said and done, I'm willin to be t it is gonna be about $1K
Yeah, I almost told a buddy of mine that it was an expensive date , and I didn't even get laid! But we're just really good friends.... she's cool as hell...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
sorry to hear about that bro! Hey, I was wondering...most cell phone companies have that roadside assistance with free towing...does anyone know if that covers bikes? and how many miles? Just curious, thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
if you have a person to help you i think its easier to actually lift the bike in the truck.one tire at a time i think is pretty easy but im a big guy so i dunno but i wouldnt spend that kinda money on ramps and be worried itd tip over on me.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol... I gas clutched it up while I walked up the other.... it is like maybe three foot to the tailgate of my truck (04 Dakota Sport Plus)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by tecateman
if you have a person to help you i think its easier to actually lift the bike in the truck.one tire at a time i think is pretty easy but im a big guy so i dunno but i wouldnt spend that kinda money on ramps and be worried itd tip over on me.
it's a bitch, i've done it once, never again! my buddy didn't have anything to get his R6 up, so we lifted the front and got it up. takes a lot of work. the problem is, it bottoms out on the exhaust/fairings. it's worth the money to get ramps. if you have a truck, they're a handy thing to have anyways. i worried the first few times about loading bikes, but it's not that bad. i was more nervous lifting it. that's a 3 man operation to say the least. if the bike begins to tip while it has one tire on the ground and the other on the tailgate, you're gonna have a hell of a time trying to balance it!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
only put the front tire on tailgate and then pick the back up until it doesnt bottom out.ive loaded my bike in an avalanche,an f150 and a dodge ram with 1 other person helping.no problem.1 guy on each side grab down low on the forks and lift till frt tire is on tailgate.then grab each side by the swingarm and subframe keeping bike level.now lift up letting bike roll in some.once back is up hold bike while your buddy jumps up in truck.it is easier with a 3rd person in the truck to steady it but is not hard for me with 1 person helping.note i am 6ft 230lbs.but the thought of ramps slipping or bike sliding or somethin scares me on the ramps.no way id try riding it in.
Originally posted by crjbeez

it's a bitch, i've done it once, never again! my buddy didn't have anything to get his R6 up, so we lifted the front and got it up. takes a lot of work. the problem is, it bottoms out on the exhaust/fairings. it's worth the money to get ramps. if you have a truck, they're a handy thing to have anyways. i worried the first few times about loading bikes, but it's not that bad. i was more nervous lifting it. that's a 3 man operation to say the least. if the bike begins to tip while it has one tire on the ground and the other on the tailgate, you're gonna have a hell of a time trying to balance it!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, not sure about the cell thing but I am an AMA member and they have MOTOW. $25/year for bikes $60/year for all you vehicles. Covers 35 miles towing, hook up fees, dispatch fees, emergency gas delivery, flat tire assistance (for cars truck etc). seems like a really good deal... I know after that ordeal I went through, I'm signing up! lol:D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have reimbursement coverage on my bike through the service plan/extended warranty plan I got with the bike. Covers towing, running out of gas...that kind of thing...only thing that sucks though is you have to pay for it then they pay you back later..how much later who knows lol.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that is what I was worried about with my bike ins. and my warranty, I think both have towing coverage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.