Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, waiting sucks. I was at school today walking around looking at people's bikes. One was an older EX250, a couple of guys had an R6, one had a CBR1000, and a bunch of cruisers.

This is torture, dammit. TORTURE!

/vent :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
i had to wait about a month too. what sucked even more is that i got the bike 2 weeks in. all i did during my breaks and when i got home was re-read the booklet and do those practice tests and those online as well. i've never read something so many times in my life... helped alot with the dmv's written tests i took the day after i finished the course tho.its interesting to hear what the students have waiting for them after the couse and what they were planning to get then see them struggling with a 125cc. the next riding day, everyone was talking about the new 250Rs. lol, I should've told them I had one...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yeah I waited about a month too. If you already have your bike try not to start learning now, as you'll likely learn bad habits that will have to be unlearned.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You remind me of me 3 months ago.

Oh and before your MSF course, get plenty of sleep the night before and eat healthy food.

I don't have my license. I ride around on a permit. Glad that I took the MSF course (Although I failed). Atleast I learned the basics on how to ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took the MSF course at my community college, and I was curious, I passed the course, but I have not takien the permit test yet. Do I just go to the DMV and take the written test and then get my license or do I still have to do the riding test after the permit?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took the MSF course at my community college, and I was curious, I passed the course, but I have not takien the permit test yet. Do I just go to the DMV and take the written test and then get my license or do I still have to do the riding test after the permit?
Where do you live? In the DMV area you take the writen and riding test during the class. If you pass they give you a card to take to the MVA and they give you a license.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You guys are patient.. I got my permit 12/07, got my bike 5/08 & took the test 7/08. I kept it mostly neighborhood riding before my class started.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I waited a month before my class too, in the meantime I picked up gear, found and bought a bike, and practiced in the parking lot. If you do a lot of reading, you won't pick up bad habits. It also helps to have an experienced rider observe and explain certain things or point out things you might be doing wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
Here in Texas if you pass the MSF course then you take proof that you passed to the DMV and take only the written test at the DMV. Which BTW is the easiest test ever!!

Good luck!

:D

PS: I took my test 4 years ago.

·
Registered
314 Posts
yes i know the wait can be annoying and what not. just be ready when you actually take the course. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have a permit and a bike, you can still ride around just to get the feel of things. I got my permit a few days before I bought my 08 ZX6R and rode around for 2 months, 1000+ miles before the MSF course. IMO, it seemed to help a great deal because by the time I took my MSF course, I was already pretty comfortable with leaning a motorcycle, weaving, quick stops, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i waited a month also because my cousins and i totaled up to 10 people and unfortunately, the class was only big enough for 10 people. going into the class nobody in the group had ever rode a bike, or did we even own a bike. it was great class overall and i learned a lot! in the end, everyone passed!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What might make someone not pass the class? I have zero motorcycle experience. Is it the written part or the riding part that's hard?

·
Registered
421 Posts
What might make someone not pass the class? I have zero motorcycle experience. Is it the written part or the riding part that's hard?
Well, there's a number of things. In my class there was a girl who couldn't keep up with the rest of us and she was sent home on the first day. She was pretty bad though. Unfortunately for her, she had already purchased an R6...The second day a girl was sent home for being late. For some people I guess riding just isn't their thing. I picked up on it pretty quick. I think more people fail the riding portion than the written one. I had no experience either. Just make sure you are on time and give it all you've got and you should be fine. Also, it really helps if you know how to drive a car with a manual trans.

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
I can't see anyone failing the MSF class.

All they need is some willingness to learn and a heartbeat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts