Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys really enjoy the forum i must say i did heaps of research on the site before purchasing my 03 lime green - akra pipe slip. I've just done about 800km's first service due at 1000'km's. I've got a couple of questions.

1. I've been told by my dealer to run the motor in at 8000rpm upto
500km's the after to 10000rpm until i reach 1000km's the ride as you please? so thats what i've been doing the books says up to 800km's only 4000rpm?

2. I some times i get a vibration from the rear end under heavy braking sounds like the chain is jumping up and down?

3. I weight about 100kgs and about 5 10 height i believe that the standard set up is for average height and 68kgs. What would be the average setting for my build how many turns etc front and rear. spring rate and rebound etc anyone with similar weight height.

4 the only other issue is sometimes i seem to get false neutrals at the lights if i wnat to put in first it doestn't go in easy i have to roll the bike back and forth. the other time i came to a stop tried to put it in neutral and it seem to keep flicking past it. i had to turn the bike off then back on and then was able to find neutral. any come across this.

Hope this dosen't become an issue.

I love this bike so much the mid range and handling is amazing. massive change from the gpx 250. I'll see if i can figure out how to post a picture of my bike

I would appricaite the feed back.:)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
(1) Hit the "search" button on top of the page and search for things like 'break-in' and 'breaking in' and so on... you'll be stupified by the number of responses and good info and opinions available on this topic. Also check out Rob Lee's post "breaking in your '03" or similar, which contains a good article by some well-known industry tuners... here... I'll help with the first search...

/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1380

By the way, about the ONE thing EVERYONE agrees on during break in is to not hold a constant rpm for any length of time, but "dance the needle baby"... Up and down through the gearbox, vary speeds, and short bursts is the key.

(2) I wonder if you're lugging the bike with the clutch out under braking? Do some rev-matching and downshift the bike, then clutch it in as you get slowed down.

(3) Do a search for "suspension settings"... again, TONS of useful information available on this forum. Basically, my theory is no two snowflakes are the same, and same goes for two different riders. Match the suspension to your riding style, your size, and your road conditions/types. If you want some basic starting points, the search will give you plenty of feedback from riders posting their settings.

(4) This forum is a WEALTH of info... do a search for "false neutral" or "shifting problems" or similar... TONS of topics will be available. Basically, it's a Kawasaki, you gotta make sure first gear is actually engaged. I have a "feel" for whether it really grabbed or not, if not, clutch it again, or roll up an inch or two then re-engage. Welcome to Kawasaki transmissions, stage one.

Most importantly, welcome to the board. Gratz on the bike... enjoy.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
81 Posts
Run your bike in any way you choose. But if something goes wrong and you need to claim on warranty tell them you did it by the book or the chances are they will not fix it.[}:)]

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi!

I've picked up my black beauty yesterady, and I also have read the manual saying up to 800km - 4000rpm. I've tried it out and my new 636 runs a fantastic 75km/h (47mph). Hahahaha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.