Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first bike was a 06 R6 and of course i loved it to death. Never rode a bike b4 so never really had anything to compare it too, but i always felt the low end was pretty bad. 3months later my bike gets stolen. luckily i had insurance. few months later after insurance takes care of the bike i decide to buy a new bike. Didnt really know what bike i wanted, but i know i didnt want an 06 R6.
The 636 was very affordable and it had 36cc's more than the other 600's so i went with it. considering the thing that disapointed me the most from the 06 r6 was the low end. My first ride on the 636 i have to say i was very impressed with how torqey it was, i mean i barley blipped the throttle and it jerked me back. i have been riding it for a few days now and wow. it more comfortable, its better on fuel, it feels more stable, it wheelies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier. i havent taken her up in the twisties yet, but im sure ill like it alot better because of its low end torque. The R6 is extrodinary on the turns but only when its above at least 8.5k rpm's and in the canyons with lots of debree everywhere its gets kinda scary reving that high especially since i was still learning. im not saying the 06 R6 is a bad bike (btw i love the 05 R6) but they based it too much on track bike. i'd have to say the 636 is just a much better all around bike. if your someone like me who likes to use their bike for commuting, twisties and occasional wheelies i'd say the go with the 636.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the 636 is a fine machine. I love my plasma blue 06. I was torn between the R6 and the 636, settled on the 636 mainly because of riding posture, underseat exhaust, and price. Also, its probably less likely to get stolen.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Torque to the wheels at any given speed will be about the same between the two. Whichever has more power at whatever speed you are going will be putting more torque to the road. I don't remember there being much of a difference in power between the bikes at any given speed.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I picked the 636 over an R6 too, and don't regret it! Kawi love, baby.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also chose the 636 over the R6. I will agree that I think they based the R6 more on a track bike and the comfort and overall power of the 636 won me over.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Torque to the wheels at any given speed will be about the same between the two. Whichever has more power at whatever speed you are going will be putting more torque to the road. I don't remember there being much of a difference in power between the bikes at any given speed.
I'm not really following your point but I have seen a dyno comparison and the torque and hp numbers are much different between the two bikes. The r6 actually has the highest peak hp of all the middleweights but its all up near redline. I forget the actual numbers but throughout the rev range, the 636 had at least 10 more ft-lbs and hp. The lines finally crossed somewhere around 14k rpms. I saw the comparison it in one of my magazines, maybe someone has a picture of it to post. It compared the cbr600rr, the 636, the gsxr, and the triumph 675.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You have to compare gearing. If the R6 can rev 10% higher, then it can be geared to be 10% higher in the RPMs in each gear and still shift at the same speeds. This means that you can't compare them RPM to RPM because the R6 has a gearing advantage even though it is making less power at any specific RPM. I still would have to see the dyno to really compare them, but judging by acceleration runs, there isn't that big of a difference.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I chose the 636 just for the simple fact that im a taller rider (6'3) and the r6 riding postions are very uncomfortbable for someone who is tall.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I headed to the Suzuki dealer with intentions on a GSXR-750. Stopped at the Kawasaki dealer first and was instantly sold on the black 06 ZX6R. No regrets. Kawasaki is where its at.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have an 2005 636 awesome bike, but whats doing my head in, kawasaki as whole in the supersport and superbike championships arent doing that well, and i know some of you bad mouth the r6, but when i go watch them at the track in supersport, or on tv if i aint traveling to a race meet, they friggon own, on a track them r6's are totally fcuking wild, but as some has said before r6's are all about high revs, where as the 636 is more user friendly on power, i guess im slightly sticking up for yamaha, just cause it aint a kawasaki doesnt mean its sh!t, Rob

·
Registered
141 Posts
Actually kawasaki is running the number one plate for the second year in a row now in supersport,they are just not making a big factory showing because of superbike, and Roger getting hurt.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by edgeflyer
Actually kawasaki is running the number one plate for the second year in a row now in supersport,they are just not making a big factory showing because of superbike, and Roger getting hurt.
That is true for here in the States in the AMA SuperSport class but keep in mind that Rob here is on the other side of that big ass pond and is most likely talking about World SuperSport/SuperBike. Totaly different game from the AMA classes over here.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've never ridden the R6
BUT...I ride a green 06 zx6r and it will never be mistaken for another bike on the highway and can you say that about any other bike?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr

That is true for here in the States in the AMA SuperSport class but keep in mind that Rob here is on the other side of that big ass pond and is most likely talking about World SuperSport/SuperBike. Totaly different game from the AMA classes over here.
yes sorry, i am talking about motorsport over here, i'll be at silverstone in september watching the british superbikes supersport, and i can tell you this yamaha are very very strong right now in both classes, Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.