Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm kinda new here but I've been reading for awhile. I bought my 6R about three weeks ago and almost immediatly put these bar ends on, yes they really do work. Well I took the cover off the bike today and noticed that there was rust on them?! Has anyone else seen this happen? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Damnit! That's why I was going to replace my stock bar ends with these bad boys.. Now I'm a little worried.

Having to use a motorcycle cover effing sucks, doesn't it? I know I hate it!

Hell.. I don't know what to tell you. Might want to try to sand them down a little bit and see if you can get them powdercoated or something. I wanted to get mine powdercoated black anyway because that color throws the look off IMO.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well i thought stainless steel didn't rust??? i'd sand em down and re paint them and put a rust proof coating over them or even clear coat them....

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by james.keaton
IMO you should have shelled out the few extra clams and bought a set of good quality powder coated ones.
extra bucks? LOL! These are supposed to be amazing, and there's really nothing else out there like these. Most of the aftermarket bar ends for our bikes are not weighted, thus creating more vibration on the bars.. More vibration = numb hands.

these bar ends are like 75 bucks

·
Registered
543 Posts
stainless steel can rust, it's not completely impervious to the elements. don't know where in florida you are but chances are it's the salt air.
hitting them with 0000 steel wool is a good recommendation but just keep 'em clean dude! wipe them often with anything oily; WD40 is made for this, as it's a water dispersement agent.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Yes Stainless Steel does rust. it is a common misconception that stainless does not rust. all metals rust when subjected to certain or harsh conditions. salt is the worst thing for metal. and yes since you are in flordia, the salty air is bad. keeping the surface with a light film of oil will help, also you can use a metal sealer to help. to get rid of the rust, you can use Naval Jelly. it will remove the rust, and is good to keep around in any case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL

extra bucks? LOL! These are supposed to be amazing, and there's really nothing else out there like these. Most of the aftermarket bar ends for our bikes are not weighted, thus creating more vibration on the bars.. More vibration = numb hands.

these bar ends are like 75 bucks
LOL! I was being a smart ass. Those are really nice, I still can't believe they rusted.

·
Registered
277 Posts
looks like they got all scrathed up.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The stainless isn't rusting, but its the carbon that the stainless contains that is reacting. When stainless is graded (what alloy it is), that will tell you what the carbon content is for it. 308L is probably the least likely to rust(low carbon count), but take an alloy like AUS-8(high carbon count, and it will rust like plain 1018 mild steel...I'm curious what alloy they used for the bar ends....

GunRunner

·
Registered
359 Posts
The name gives it away,Stainless,It stains less than normal steels,there are several grades as Gunrunner says.Some higher grades are very good and are used in marine applications etc some lower grades are fairly crap at resisting corosion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That gloss black looks better then I thought it would, I emailed Motorvation with the pics to see if this has ever happened before. RidinDurrrrrrrrrrty you're right it does suck to have to store my bike under a cover but I've got a 97 Nighthawk also and its sat outside uncovered for weeks and it hasnt shown any signs of rusting, I took its cover and put it on the 6r, new cover in the mail. I do live by the ocean and since its only rusting on the leading edges I'd bet they got salt residue on them and thats what started it. I plan on gettng it off and painting them. Altho now I have to decide whether or not I'm gonna just clear them or black them, i've got a black bike (fastest color lol) with the stainless scorpion exhaust and they kinda set it off with the exhaust and the rearsets being 'bare metal' color, got something to think about now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.