Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd take a few minutes to do a small write up on my first impressions of the 250r. I know this will be old news to those that own the bike but I thought it might be useful to those looking to buy the bike.

I'm a new rider. I took the MSF course last year after falling in love with the 250r. After completing the course I went to the dealership to get the little ninja only to find that I did not qualify for financing. I took the grand I had and put it towards a charming but beat up 82' Nighthawk 450 to learn on and pinched my pennies for a year.

On Thursday I proudly marched into the dealership again and bought the bike, a jacket and a new helmet with the $5000 I (Somehow) managed to save up since last year. I picked her up yesterday and put a total of 125 miles on her over the course of two days. Here are my thoughts...

- My dealer initially asked for $4900 walking out the door. If your dealer asks for this much do not take the deal. You can talk him down. After all was said I walked out paying $4400 total for the bike. This included an extra 12 months of warranty (total of 24 months) and 20% off of any gear I purchased that day (I took advantage of this and bought a new jacket and helmet). The research I've done has shown this to be only a slightly above average deal. You might be able to get your dealer a bit lower or they might stick to a bit higher of a price. At the end of the day this is about what you can expect.

Also do not be afraid to buy used. There are some great bikes out there that will save you some money. They will also save you the tedium of the break in period. The only reason I bought new was because I have never owned a completly new vehicle of any kind. I figured if I was going to sacrifice for a year for this I was going to get exactly what I wanted. Buying new was a big deal for me- It may not be for you and, in many ways, it is not as practical or logical as buying used.

-It will take them a day to prep the bike so if you want to ride off on the day you buy it go in a day earlier and put down a small deposit and they will get the ball rolling on de-crating it. It only took about $200 for a deposit in my case. This enables them to put the bike together while you get your stuff in order.

-To avoid hitches in the process and delaying you being able to drive off the lot with your new bike, know that you must show proof of insurance at the time it is bought in order to take it home whether you are leasing it or buying it with cash like I did. The proof of insurance must indicate the VIN number to be acceptable so take care of this before hand. You can get the vin when you put down the deposit if you take my advise.

Just a little side note on insurance: I'm paying $47 a month for full coverage on the bike. This is with state farm and I am 24 years old with no DUI's and a decent driving record. I'm not sure where I stand with insurance prices but I like State Farm so I didn't shop around too much- Plus my mustang is insured by them as well.

-The bike will be given to you with topped off fluids, a full tank of gas, an owners manual, a spare key and your warranty information. The mechanic will go over the bike with you briefly and give you warnings about break in periods for the motor and tires.

----- First impressions of the bike-----

-The first thing that struck me was it's handling. This thing is superb in that department. It is a different world from my nighthawk 450. It almost feels like the machine thinks for you. You lean and give it a bit of throttle and you are turning sharply and confidently. I seriously cannot overstate how impressed I have been with the handling.

-The best way to describe the power output is "adequate". The bike is not going to make you feel like you are on a crotch rocket and it does remind you of exactly where you stand in relation to other bikes. This is quickly forgotten when you realize everyone is looking at you like you were on a larger bike. This bike is just beautiful and you WILL get lots of looks, compliments and questions. I'm not saying the power is bad, I'm simply saying it is... Well... a 250cc bike. Don't expect to be racing that Corvette that decides to rev at you.

-The major complaint I have with the bike is the comfort of the seat. That thing is hard as rocks and will kill your ass. After 30 miles of city driving it was almost unbearable (I'm 5'9'' and weigh about 160 lbs.). It was to the point that my ride was no longer enjoyable and I found that I was even having a hard time sitting on my computer chair at the end of the day after only about 60 miles of city riding logged for the day. Do not overlook this fact. The whole package of this bike prevents this from being a deal breaker but it should be seriously considered. Bear in mind that this is my first sport bike so this may just be something that comes with the territory. Perhaps some more experienced riders can add to this with their input. I looked online for solutions to this and did find third party vendors selling some seats that seem like they would more than fix this problem but they will set you back a good $250-$300.

So far my impressions of the bike are overwhelmingly positive and I in no way regret the year of sacrifice it took for me to get it. It really is a stunning and fun bike. The seat problem is a big concern for me but it is not big enough to take away from the overall package you get when you purchase a Ninja 250r. I love this bike and, at the end of the day, I have no doubts you will too.

I hope this little read helped you a bit. Ride safe and wear that helmet!

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
41,542 Posts
Never had an issue with the seat, personally. Definitely not after only 30 miles too. I've done 200+ mile days without much issue. I don't have a lot of ass padding back there either. I'm only 150lbs.

Maybe you will get used to it? Riding a sport bike (even a 250r) is a different experience from a cruiser/standard.

If you get too tired to ride after 30 miles on a 250, don't ever think about riding a supersport/superbike. lol. You will be done in less than half the time.

but really, you will get used to it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had an issue with the seat, personally. Definitely not after only 30 miles too. I've done 200+ mile days without much issue. I don't have a lot of ass padding back there either. I'm only 150lbs.

Maybe you will get used to it? Riding a sport bike (even a 250r) is a different experience from a cruiser/standard.

If you get too tired to ride after 30 miles on a 250, don't ever think about riding a supersport/superbike. lol. You will be done in less than half the time.

but really, you will get used to it.

Ha. You may be absolutly right. I just thought it was something worth sharing. Yesterday was the first time I rode in months so I may just need to get used to it again...

... Or eat a few steaks. :)

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I have only done a demo ride on a Ninja 250 and the riding position is way WAY more comfortable than my 06 ZX6R. The seats on both bikes are about the same. But the riding position on the 250 is soo much more relaxed than the ZX6R.

Sportbikes are made for speed and racing and not for long term comfort.

:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have only done a demo ride on a Ninja 250 and the riding position is way WAY more comfortable than my 06 ZX6R. The seats on both bikes are about the same. But the riding position on the 250 is soo much more relaxed than the ZX6R.

Sportbikes are made for speed and racing and not for long term comfort.

:D

The riding position is great and comfy. I was referring more to the seat :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase!

I'm with most of the people that have responded here, and have to say that I've done a few 300ish mile day trips with only mild discomfort, so I think maybe that cruiser you had spoiled your ASS :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got a 08 250. Never ridden a bike and I can say im very impressed with it. Like you said dont expect to race anyone but its still alot of fun, and looks great. My next bike will deff be a zx6r tho :)

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I am curious as to why your dealer made sure you had proof of insurance. I never had to do that with the two new bikes I bought, both financed, from two different people.

I would think that if you are paying cash it should be none of their business. What if a person buys a bike brand new to use as a track bike?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would think that the proof of insurance is required for license plates in certain

states. If you financed a car, the lienholder would want you to have some type of insurance coverage. I never financed a bike, but I thought

it would be similiar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am curious as to why your dealer made sure you had proof of insurance. I never had to do that with the two new bikes I bought, both financed, from two different people.

I would think that if you are paying cash it should be none of their business. What if a person buys a bike brand new to use as a track bike?

This may be a New Mexico thing. We have about a 30% uninsured rate here. It cought me a bit off guard. I just threw that in there to avoid others having to wait another day for their bike :).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on your new purchase!

I'm with most of the people that have responded here, and have to say that I've done a few 300ish mile day trips with only mild discomfort, so I think maybe that cruiser you had spoiled your ASS :D

Haha. I'm thinking you're right. That's good though. It means it's something I can get used to. I'm glad others aren't aggreeing with me on this.

I just need to condition my ass I guess. (That sounded bad...)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Haha. I'm thinking you're right. That's good though. It means it's something I can get used to. I'm glad others aren't aggreeing with me on this.

I just need to condition my ass I guess. (That sounded bad...)

I've been hanging around here for a little while... and well, if you stick around, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone here to "help condition your ASS" ;):p :gay:

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Welcome to KF! :D

I hope you brought your sense of humor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My ass hurts also on the stock seat.
But i figured out if you sit way up on the seat where your balls (if your a dude) are toucing the tank it doesnt hurt as bad until you hit a bump and pinch a nut. Thats never fun. But when i sit farther back on the seat it makes my ass hurt quicker.

One of these days im going to get some foam and make a softer seat, just havent got around to it yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts