Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I continue riding southwards and I stop for the snapshot I had in mind before starting this journey, a picture of vastness with the famous Blue Grotto in the foreground. Freedom!

As my first day in Malta comes to an end, I return to the hotel and trying some night shots on the roof garden.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The next morning, after another pastizzi breakfast, I ride towards the eastern coast and the tiny fishing village of Marsaxlokk. The pronunciation is weird and the Maltese locals sound like Portuguese speaking Arabic with an Italian accent! Everyone speaks English though, so no problems. For the moment, every place I visited was ideally empty of tourists, as a result of my corona-timing, and here was the first time I realized just how lucky I was. If this is slow and empty, I can’t imagine how the situation will be in the summer. The village is famous for its multicolored fishing boats that adorn the small bay, on which the village and a small church stand along with plenty of fish restaurants.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After trying the local seafood I went for a ride with no specific destination and then returned to Valletta in order to visit the Three Cities that filled my hotel window since I got there. The boarding spot is right next to the hotel and I soon float towards the Three Cities of Vittoriosa, Senglea and Cospicua. The water taxi is the ideal way to get there as the entry in the main harbor is spectacular, with impressive scenery rolling in front of my eyes as the boat slides softly in the narrow bay and the forest of masts.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yacht with helipad?! Who buys these things!

Anyway, don’t be disappointed, you only really need a motorcycle and the wish to travel, take it from me!

With my return to the hotel after another full and exciting day, I opened a bottle of Cisk and relaxed thinking that Malta was indeed a top destination to include in this year’s motorcycle trip!

As I started thinking about my return, I decided to spend the next day covering the distance and staying in a relatively big city in order to get a molecular test for the Greek border passing. I chose Cosenza for that specific reason but couldn’t find a place for the pcr test there, even with the help of my very kind host. The problem was that the results get published up to 24h after the examination so after a few e-mails I managed to get an appointment for two o’clock in Bari. So now I had the chance to spend an extra night at the famous Alberobello village, just 55kms from the port of Bari, before departing for Greece late in the afternoon.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
On my way back aboard the ship, I write these lines with many new images and experiences still fresh in my mind and I hope that I can convey them to you, along with the feeling of freedom that a motorcycle journey has offered me once again.

As always, I hope that this post will motivate people to plan, prepare and go on a motorcycle trip, the best way to travel by far.

Enjoy summer, riding and FREEDOM!

GR Rider

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
Ho lee crap. I don't want to say I'm jealous because I could go and do the same thing, but I am. I've been putting off trips for so many years due to financials and time commitments and overall indecisiveness. But no more! After seeing all your journeys I can't afford to miss out on these experiences. I'll make something happen by the end of the summer. My only problem is I'm quiet lazy with going around to see things on foot. I usually ride for the sake of riding so I always miss out on these amazing places and spots. I took a ride with my mom today for the first time in months and one of the first things I said to her is "I never noticed how nice and hilly the scenery is here" when driving on a road I've probably hit a couple dozen times now...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Ho lee crap. I don't want to say I'm jealous because I could go and do the same thing, but I am. I've been putting off trips for so many years due to financials and time commitments and overall indecisiveness. But no more! After seeing all your journeys I can't afford to miss out on these experiences. I'll make something happen by the end of the summer. My only problem is I'm quiet lazy with going around to see things on foot. I usually ride for the sake of riding so I always miss out on these amazing places and spots. I took a ride with my mom today for the first time in months and one of the first things I said to her is "I never noticed how nice and hilly the scenery is here" when driving on a road I've probably hit a couple dozen times now...
My friend, I am very happy to see that my motorcycle trips genuinely motivate you! This truly is the best reward for me. Going on a long road trip will automatically change your set of mind about motorcycling in general simply because you will have to think ahead and balance fun riding and simple transition from one place to the other. A stroll through a beautiful place and a nice meal will be interesting after a day's riding and trying to find a good spot for a photograph will slow you down without even realising it. There are many different parameters and after a day or two on the road you will know exactly what you want and how to achieve it. So pick a date and start planning and everything will fall into place eventually (y)

·
Pursebully
39,152 Posts
I absolutely love your trip reports. Truly amazing. For someone who has never been out of North America, these photographs are so surreal. Movies don't show you views like these. Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I absolutely love your trip reports. Truly amazing. For someone who has never been out of North America, these photographs are so surreal. Movies don't show you views like these. Thank you for posting.
So glad to know this, thank you for your response Green, I really appreciate it (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Loved all the photos and every part of your beautiful journey but the one with your bike following the S created by the road and the barrier really touched a chord.

Sunny skies, cool breeze and the legendary Targa Florio all yours to enjoy. Congratulations for making it happen and for taking us there with you even for a moment.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Loved all the photos and every part of your beautiful journey but the one with your bike following the S created by the road and the barrier really touched a chord.

Sunny skies, cool breeze and the legendary Targa Florio all yours to enjoy. Congratulations for making it happen and for taking us there with you even for a moment.
Thank you my friend, that was the intend of that photo and of the whole post. Very glad to see that it proved evocative for you too (y)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just as I was planning this trip, this lovely video about Ciccio from Cefalu and his famous racing shoes popped up!

His charming story from humble show maker to Ferrari's provider and sought after within racing cycles is interesting and emotional:

Especially the way he talks about a race that hasn't been held for almost 45 years and phrases like "we became champions with Ferrari" show what this race really meant for the region and its people.

Unfortunately, his atelier was closed when I passed by but, by now, his products are just glorified souvenirs anyway, 1500 euros for a pair of shoes that you can't even walk with!

·
Registered
41 Posts
A week long motorcycle journey, six ferry crossings, four border crossings thousands of miles and countless breathtaking images and riding emotions all presented in the most pleasant, smooth and easy to grasp way along with stunning photography and in the most humble demeanour. Thank you for all the above and also for the fact that you make them feel easy and feasible for the rest of us. I would be happy to achieve even a fraction of what you have done as a motorcyclist so far. Keep travelling so we can keep dreaming.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts