Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So installed an amp and 2 4 inch speakers last winter but the amp i had over heated and was junk. So this winter im taking my pioneer radio and those 2 speakers and adding in 2 more tweeters next to the gauges. Installing a miniature antenna behind the gauges under the windscreen and the radio is being mounted on top of the tank. I plan to use sheet metal and bondoing it to make it smooth and clean and then having it painted. So if I am lucky it will look so sweet and custom that I will be very happy with the end result. And before anyone says it wont be loud enough to hear on the highway I already wired and tested it yesterday to make sure it is do able.

·
KF Stickbug
11,816 Posts
You're right, most of us will hate it. :lol:

Seriously though, it's not that we hate things like this, it's that most people do a shitty job and in the end it doesn't work or ends up being more trouble than it's worth.

If it works, looks professional and you like it, I think most of us will support you. :thumbup:

Edit: I do have an idea though... instead of using a din-type car radio, what if you got a smaller FM receiver and/or MP3 player and embedded them INTO the cover in front of the gas tank? I'm not sure how much room is in there, but you could have the device(s) flush with the top giving it a cleaner look. Just a thought.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i would def get a nicer head unit if i was going to go through all that fab work. I'm not hating on your idea,i just think there are better ways to go about it.

check this page out. They have motorcycle radios with aux plugs
Motorcycle Audio

·
Registered
52 Posts
So installed an amp and 2 4 inch speakers last winter but the amp i had over heated and was junk. So this winter im taking my pioneer radio and those 2 speakers and adding in 2 more tweeters next to the gauges. Installing a miniature antenna behind the gauges under the windscreen and the radio is being mounted on top of the tank. I plan to use sheet metal and bondoing it to make it smooth and clean and then having it painted. So if I am lucky it will look so sweet and custom that I will be very happy with the end result. And before anyone says it wont be loud enough to hear on the highway I already wired and tested it yesterday to make sure it is do able.

go for it, its your do what you want with it who knows it might just work ( you need to find a smaller deck that pioneer is huge)

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
you should definitly have a security system isntalled. my ex-gfs corolla didnt have a security system and someone slim jim'ed their way right in to the car, got in the drivers seat and pulled the stereo right out of the dash then when in the trunk and stole her subwoofer. Had she had a security system, someone might not have gone through the hassle of entering a locked car and stealing her new sound system...................................................

do you see where I am going with this.

Good luck on the install.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I got a better idea! forget the FM radio, just hook your iPod up! that's what my buddy did on his gixxer! He put two speakers in the front and two in the back with an amp in the tail! he drilled a bounch of holes so that the speaker still stays covered up and looks clean as hell! it also sounds so good and clear! and the iPod is mounted on the triple with some velcro! everything was made with patience and good material! don't just throw some shit on your bike

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I got a better idea! forget the FM radio, just hook your iPod up! that's what my buddy did on his gixxer! He put two speakers in the front and two in the back with an amp in the tail! he drilled a bounch of holes so that the speaker still stays covered up and looks clean as hell! it also sounds so good and clear! and the iPod is mounted on the triple with some velcro! everything was made with patience and good material! don't just throw some shit on your bike
that' what i'd do too. the ipod touches have an accelerometer in it and you can download an app that'll tell your vehicles lateral G's, 0-60, 1/4 mile times, braking distance, etc. i don't know how accurate they are but it'd look cool, serve the same function and be a lot smaller than the pioneer head unit.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
that' what i'd do too. the ipod touches have an accelerometer in it and you can download an app that'll tell your vehicles lateral G's, 0-60, 1/4 mile times, braking distance, etc. i don't know how accurate they are but it'd look cool, serve the same function and be a lot smaller than the pioneer head unit.
+1 if you're going to install that stereo you might as well get an 8 track too!
:Laughing rolling: J/K

If you like it go for it, but I still think an iPod touch is the way to go. I have an iPhone and love it! I have my iPhone on my belt and listen to music using in ear, earphones.

But I also plug in my iPhone into my mustang and it kicks butt!

Anyway just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting project to be sure.

I will agree with the thinking that setting it up for an iPod Touch/iPhone is the way to go though.

With those you can get your music, plus with the right apps you can basically turn it into a GPS with turn-by-turn directions.

(Plus you can just pick it up and put it in your pocket when you aren't with your bike so you can be less worried about it.)

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Interesting project to be sure.

I will agree with the thinking that setting it up for an iPod Touch/iPhone is the way to go though.

With those you can get your music, plus with the right apps you can basically turn it into a GPS with turn-by-turn directions.

(Plus you can just pick it up and put it in your pocket when you aren't with your bike so you can be less worried about it.)
Hell yeah!

:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had an amp with 2 speakers in the inner fairings already but i got no luck with 2 amps being junk first one overheated but sounded good at first and the second was not as powerful. I had this pioneer in my jeep and im just gonna put the sotck radio back in and use this on the bike. The head unit will be angle mounted cutting into the plastic and trying to get as flush as possible in the rear and then sheet metaled and bondoed. And painted to match

·
Registered
808 Posts
i had an amp with 2 speakers in the inner fairings already but i got no luck with 2 amps being junk first one overheated but sounded good at first and the second was not as powerful. I had this pioneer in my jeep and im just gonna put the sotck radio back in and use this on the bike. The head unit will be angle mounted cutting into the plastic and trying to get as flush as possible in the rear and then sheet metaled and bondoed. And painted to match
well my buddy bought a mini amp from ebay for $200 and sounded freakin good! and the gixxer doesn't have an undertail exhaust so no issues with overheating! get an ipod nano, i'm sure you can find the older one really cheap online! that head unit looks like an 8 track on the bike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its something different and that is why I like it. Yes I can go with the expensive amp but y not do it different

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Where are you planning on keeping all your cd's?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts