Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey as promised since sooo long here's the write up to my 1997's latest transformation; the compromise between day to day comfort and performance tired me out and the fact that the next technical inspection would probably kill me, well i decided to totally convert her for trackdays and train myself a bit before taking on the 41mm FCR ex-endurance beast and possibly rolling it in the gravel on her first outing like the last dumbass who rode it.

So here are the new targets i set myself:
- wet weight under 200KG / 440lbs.
- full race fairing
- a real exhaust
- real brakes (that will work more than 6 months)
- change that damn camchain already!

First up changed the exahust, found an old open akra pipe for an R6 in my collection and cut off part of the downpipe and welded the two downpipes together with my motad downpipes, inside diameters were almost the same and the pipe's diameter looked ok.

Next up remoe all excess weight, no more lights no more now useless switchgear and no more heavy brackets in steel, either made new ones out of aluminium or replace with extra large cable ties!

Moved the fuel pump and rerouted the hosing, I hated how my originals snaked all over the place including between the shock and the frame. Fuel goes through a quick release connector to the fuel pump and filter and straight to the carbs with basic clear hosing.

New EK 520 unsealed chain, alumnium dogbones from a 2000 zx-6r (slightly shorter raised the rear a bit)

Raised the rear even more using the top shock mount and an extra nut lying around

Removed the resonator boxes in the two ram-air tubes, cut off the bottom halves and we-worked them into straight tubes into the airbox which i protected the underside with heatshielding, made myself an aluminium and fibreglass heat-matt and removed the stock heatshield that sat on top of the valvehead cover (removed the old foam insultation too)

Removed the sound insulation behind the clutch cover too, big rubber damper with a steel plate in front of it, now its just a plain cover, rattles more at idle though...

Changed that damn camchain! I cheated! I dremelled the hell out of that stupid little spoon shaped thing at the bottom and half of the camchain blade holder!! It works and I don't care if I haved the life of the damn thing I can change cam chains each time I check the valves!

New wheels and new brakes! Z1000 rear wheel with Zx-9r caliper, holder and rear rotor, axle diameters are the same, used the spacers for the 9r and it was a straight bolt on! Ok except I had to modify the lug on the swingarm to be able to shift the wheel as far foward as the actual axle itself allowed but hey the whole rear end weighs a ton less now! Smaller one piston caliper smaller caliper holder and smaller rotor not to mention a lighter rear wheel.

Same goes for the front wheel, ZX-9R with custom spacers and since my old brake system was shot, brand new fresh out of the box nissin 6 pots, brembo PR19 radial master cylinder, new brake lines and some crappy nissin rotors which weigh almost 7.5 lbs each, they lasted one outing and are now replaced by my old LUCAS TRW alien wave discs that weigh less than 6lbs each.

Mini bonus write up: Nology hot wires are practically useless unless you use resistor-less spark plugs! I tried all the spark plugs I could and the spark was visually and in terms of spark length the same as original wires! Then I tested a plugs with no resistor, the spark was more than twice as long and almost as bright and violent as nology claim, except that the radio that was next to me didnt recieve any interference....soooo NGK semi-surface discharge iridium coated R0045J racing plugs! Heck I found a good offer and decided why not.

What I forgot to take photos of were the SAMCO sport silicone hoses I added just before the first trackday and the thermostat removal and unfortunately the speedhut tacho I got for the bike mounted on a fibreglass dashboard with a modified bracket from a 2000 zx-6r. Good weight gain here though the original dash weighs quite a lot and half of its useless afterwards anyway. Oh yeah removed the sidestand too...but anyway heres a shot of my good friend simon painting the fibreglass bodywork in a barnhouse converted into a paint cabin.

Weighed the bike soon after and got a final weight of 198 kg / 438 lbs!

Final result, I always wanted to go over the top with the sticker thing at least once in my life, even if the bike probably tips the scale at over 440 now that theres 50lbs of stickyback vynil now...all thats missing is the sponsor sticker for cable-ties...

Great bought a new suit in the closeout bin, a new Shoei vermulen replica, new joe rocket speedmaster gloves and a set of SBS dual-carbon brake pads and a set of metzler compK slicks! (Its an old worn out tyre for testing in the picture btw)

One weekend later and I'm as happy as can be! Advanced a group during the weekend and the bike was untouchable in the two long fast turns at the french circuit of lurcy-levis and not many people managed to get on the gas earlier than me and overtake in the straights. Okay okay so the coaches overtook me with ease with their prepped up swiss championship CBR's and I was in the beginner and average group but for my first real weekend and her first time on the track I'm still damn pleased! Ok for now, I still got some fine tuning to do and probably a smaller lighter battery to replace the old one that I recoved, but otherwise I'm hooked on trackdays now! Apart from trackdays I'm going to be working on the model M and make myself a damn fine old school track weapon that can keep up with all the new kids on the block.

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear wheel is first gen z1000 03-06, normally its the same as the 2000-01 ZX-9R rear wheel apart from the machined edges, and normally what I read pointed to the 9r rear wheel being an easy swap, used the stock 7r left spacer and sprocket carrier, I recieved a ninja650r caliper support by accident but I just shaved off the extra material until I got the same dimensions as the 9R unit (axle diameter is smaller on 650) used a 2000-01 9r caliper rotor and spacer between the wheel and the holder, basically it should be a direct bolt on using all 9r parts but i can measure and confirm later in the year if needed.

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theyre french- Poly26.com they made whats relatively cheap fibreglass bodywork including original replicas and 2 (or more) piece race bodywork with closed underbodies with or without holes for the original lights, they also make a few other nice parts and I managed to get a garage rebate and automatic de-tax even though I'm in switzerland.

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I made one last weekend with a first gen go pro (narrow angle crappy AAA batteries) for the first goddamn time since i bought the thing (kept on lending it to friends who took ages to return it) and I tried to film from as far back as possible since sticking it on the front with the narrow angle makes 150 mph look like a 50mph stroll but last friend forgot to empty the memory card. Ended up taking a 3 minute film of my ass waiting for the green flag and a 3 minute film of my first two laps and the angle was so narrow you barely see the track....I'm going to try and film my next outing in three weeks and try to buy a HD model with a wide angle lens instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.