Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 zx9r i bought a few years ago and putting on road finally. I have a red wire with a 10 amp fuse that i can't figure out where it goes. I bought a Haynes manual but didn't see a red wire going into junction box in the wiring diagram. Can anyone help?. Don't really want to hook it directly to positive on battery. It looks like original wiring. Here are the pictures
648512501.jpg
648512470.jpg
648512537.jpg

·
Pursebully
39,357 Posts
It doesn't look like OEM to me. It could be, but I would expect OEM wiring to be in a harness. Your best bet is to just follow the red wire to see where it goes.

Based on the way it's situated in there, it's fairly evident that it was originally connected to the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Haynes manual doesn't show a red wire going to battery or connection to fuse panel either. It foes however go into the plastic cover that holds the rest of wiring. I will have to open and follow i guess. Thanks

·
Pursebully
39,357 Posts
Yeah, I've never seen an factory installed fuse holder added to the battery terminals on any bike or ATV. Usually just the power and ground connections. This usually comes from the owner adding/modifying a circuit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Guess im going to have too pull off fairings again and try to follow it. It is in the plastic casing with the rest of wires though. Hate someone else's wiring mess

·
Registered
25 Posts
U got any aftermarket accessories on the bike? Lights? 12v port? Other than that the only other thing i can think of is that someone has relayed the wiring to the starter motor.

Let us know what u find

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So front brake light wasn't working. Suspected switch. I hooked the mystery wire to positive and it now works. No need to turn key on though. Did have fender delete and tiny after market signal lights. Oh well. Got brake light working. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2000 zx9r i bought a few years ago and putting on road finally. I have a red wire with a 10 amp fuse that i can't figure out where it goes. I bought a Haynes manual but didn't see a red wire going into junction box in the wiring diagram. Can anyone help?. Don't really want to hook it directly to positive on battery. It looks like original wiring. Here are the pictures View attachment 139450 View attachment 139451 View attachment 139452
I would either snip or tape the bare wire, put a battery in it and see if it starts. If it does and everything functions like it should once you do a thorough check including the radiator fan then I would leave it snipped or taped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts